'Gentle Giant' Dies After NYPD Cop Puts Him In Chokehold

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator
Here's an example. I doubt the deputies choke hold'ed for 5 minutes.

Khq.com

But this guy was found to be the physical aggressor, so in this case deadly force was deemed justifiable.

Oh, and this guy was at a gym.
They also tazed him 3 times, beat the stuffin' out of him, and put him in a chokehold twice.

That case is hardly comparable to the fat bum who got choked for a few seconds.

lajikal

They also tazed him 3 times, beat the stuffin' out of him, and put him in a chokehold twice.

That case is hardly comparable to the fat bum who got choked for a few seconds.
The medical examiner must've not considered those factors.

Creasy Bear

Donator
The medical examiner must've not considered those factors.
He did consider those factors... and he called it homicide. Because the guy's health wasn't a factor.

Again... not comparable to the fat bum who got choked for a few seconds and died because he was a fat, unhealthy disaster who only needed a nudge to keel him over.

Creasy Bear

Donator
Official cause of death: He couldn't breeve.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
What the crime was isn't really the issue.
It is for me. If he was a violent offender, or even if it was just a property crime with an actual victim, I would have no problem with him being arrested, and then ending up dying resisting arrest. But it wasn't.

Sure, cops don't make the law, and politicians who do, and the people who vote for them, are responsible for what happens when those laws are enforced. But even with the black market being illegal, fact is that individual cops, police departments and politicians on the executive side all have to choose which laws they enforce. The list of things that are illegal in this country is way too long to go after all the "criminals".

I don't know if it's the cop himself, or if it's someone higher up, but someone made the decision to make this guy a priority and pick on him over and over again, for selling pot and cigarettes, or whatever the fuck else he was selling. I suspect it was the cop himself, who decided he had nothing better to do that day. If it was his decision that this guy should be a priority over burglars, or bike thieves, or any other actual criminal activity (like looking out for people getting assaulted for taking pictures on the street, perhaps?), I have no sympathy for him losing his badge.

[edit] article says he was plain clothed...I guess that means he was a vice cop. Now there's one less of them. Good.

Floyd1977

I realize this is going to be a controversial opinion, but shouldn't we wait for the autopsy results before we're declaring whether preexisting medical problems contributed to his death?
I'm hearing that it might have been lactic acidosis.

Aaaaaand:

4 EMS workers barred from duty after chokehold death

Four EMS workers have been placed on modified duty as part of an investigation into the death of Eric Garner.

Four emergency-service workers who responded to the scene where diabetic dad Eric Garner lay unconscious after an NYPD cop put him in a chokehold have been barred from going on any more ambulance calls pending a probe, officials said.

“The FDNY has restricted these employees … until the investigation and review of their response and operational procedures takes place,” said Fire Department spokesman Jim Long on Sunday.

The two medics and two EMTs — who are part of Richmond University Medical Center on Staten Island — were placed on modified duty as part of the investigation, officials said. The move doesn’t indicate wrongdoing, they added.

FDNY medics or hospital medics are dispatched to scenes depending on availability and proximity, sources said.

The medics who were called to where Garner passed out broke a slew of procedures when they arrived, EMS sources told The Post.

A 7-minute video that captured the last few minutes of the life of Garner, 43, as he laid on a Tompkinsville sidewalk also caught the workers’ procedural lapses, sources said.

EMS sources told The Post that a medic came to Garner’s side without any equipment such as an oxygen bag or defibrillator.

“You can hear her say, ‘Oh, he can’t walk to the bus?” said the source. “It was pretty obvious this patient was in distress. His body was limp and lifeless.”

Garner should immediately have been placed on a stretcher and had his airway, breathing and circulation checked out by an EMT, sources added.

But the EMT never used a stethoscope, which medics are required to carry, to check Garner’s lungs for air movement, and didn’t connect Garner to an oxygen mask.

About four minutes into the video, the medic is seen checking for a wrist pulse and then a neck pulse — but neither she nor anyone else is seen administering any kind of aid.

“Maybe the EMT felt a pulse, but it was obvious this male was in serious distress and needed to be assisted with his breathing,” said the source. “Three minutes is a long time for a body to be lacking oxygen when an EMS crew is on scene.”

Garner died of cardiac arrest en route to the hospital minutes later.

Link

Hmmm hmmm I just trying to be videoing and sheeeeeit.. hmmm hmmm you police be all cray cray... yuuuuuck

It is for me. If he was a violent offender, or even if it was just a property crime with an actual victim, I would have no problem with him being arrested, and then ending up dying resisting arrest. But it wasn't.

Sure, cops don't make the law, and politicians who do, and the people who vote for them, are responsible for what happens when those laws are enforced. But even with the black market being illegal, fact is that individual cops, police departments and politicians on the executive side all have to choose which laws they enforce. The list of things that are illegal in this country is way too long to go after all the "criminals".

I don't know if it's the cop himself, or if it's someone higher up, but someone made the decision to make this guy a priority and pick on him over and over again, for selling pot and cigarettes, or whatever the fuck else he was selling. I suspect it was the cop himself, who decided he had nothing better to do that day. If it was his decision that this guy should be a priority over burglars, or bike thieves, or any other actual criminal activity (like looking out for people getting assaulted for taking pictures on the street, perhaps?), I have no sympathy for him losing his badge.

[edit] article says he was plain clothed...I guess that means he was a vice cop. Now there's one less of them. Good.
Oh.. so because you don't agree with the offense he was being arrested for then it's ok to resist. Take the offense out of the equation. It was time for the guy to turn around and put his hands behind his back. He made it clear he wasn't going to do that.

And he isn't a vice cop. Maybe anti crime cop. Maybe conditions unit cop (a condition like maybe untaxed cigarette sales. Some sales to minors). But not vice. And to the store owners losing money on sales who paid alot of money for their licenses and legal packs it may make a difference also.
How so? Was there a medical examination done? Didn't know health played into a physical force blocking oxygen flow to the brain for an extended period of time.
We won't know the official findings until it's done. Tommy technical with the physical force blocking oxygen to the brian.. extended period of time isn't an estimation I would agree with. A brief period of time sure. A short period of time ok. But extended? I dont think so.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Oh.. so because you don't agree with the offense he was being arrested for then it's ok to resist.
Yes, when being arrested for something that's not a real crime, it's moral to resist. I don't understand how that could possibly be in doubt. The country was founded by people who killed and died resisting improper government rule. Why would someone refusing to put their hands behind their back be any less justified than going to war?

If you want to discuss whether it was smart, that's another matter. But resisting when being arrested for selling cigarettes is justified.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
If you resist, you will get hurt.

How hard is that to understand?

Feel that what you're being busted for is a bum rap?

Get a fucking lawyer. That's the way the system works.

LineBackerU

There is a good chance I am blocking you.
Donator
Wait, people are actually defending the cops on this? They must be the same people that think it is ok for a local police department to have tanks and other military type vehicles/weapons and it is ok for the government to spy on us because there is nothing to worry about if you have nothing to hide.

Wait, people are actually defending the cops on this? They must be the same people that think it is ok for a local police department to have tanks and other military type vehicles/weapons and it is ok for the government to spy on us because there is nothing to worry about if you have nothing to hide.
Only if they are used to collect cigarette taxes...

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
If you resist, you will get hurt.

How hard is that to understand?

Feel that what you're being busted for is a bum rap?

Get a fucking lawyer. That's the way the system works.
Are you really claiming that a lawyer could've convinced a judge to allow this man to sell untaxed cigarettes?

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
It's not a question of defending the cops.

It's a question of resisting arrest.

This shit is always the result of some asshat that
doesn't just shut up and get a lawyer. Everybody
that gets in trouble is an innocent, gentle person
by everyone else's account but it always starts with
them resisting. Always.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
No because it's A CRIME!

A crime that he was being busted for but he resisted.
Criminalizing the sale of untaxed cigarettes is abuse of power. Resisting abuse of power is an honorable, courageous act. I submit to you that this fat black man died a hero.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Criminalizing the sale of untaxed cigarettes is abuse of power. Resisting abuse of power is an honorable, courageous act.
And when you resist , you risk bodily harm. Period.

That's what this country was founded on.
They resisted the taxes of England and it started a war.

You wanna fight a war, peoople are gonna get killed.

lajikal

We won't know the official findings until it's done. Tommy technical with the physical force blocking oxygen to the brian.. extended period of time isn't an estimation I would agree with. A brief period of time sure. A short period of time ok. But extended? I dont think so.
He was hanging on his back like a damn backpack. Full weight/pressure for more than a couple seconds. Fuck pigs, mannn.