George Lucas plans Star Wars the TV show

martianvirus

READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!
Dust off those lightsabres. Thirty years after he brought Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia to life in one of cinema’s most iconic franchises, George Lucas is turning Star Wars into a television series.

The film-maker has “just begun work” on a small screen version, recruiting a group of writers who will gather at his Skywalker Ranch next month to drum up story ideas for the live action series.

Though hardly a “jump to hyperspace”, the development is already sparking frenzied excitement among the legions of fans who devoured the big screen trilogies and helped turn the space epic into a multi-billion dollar industry.

But Lucas is warning audiences not to expect any reunions with old favourites such as the roguish Han Solo, telling The Los Angeles Times that he is “taking chances” when it comes to fans’ expectations.

“The Skywalkers aren’t in it, and it’s about minor characters,” Lucas said. “It has nothing to do with Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader or any of those people. It’s completely different. But it’s a good idea, and it’s going to be a lot of fun to do.”

The 63-year-old billionaire is said to be funding the series himself, producing an initial 13 episodes, after running into difficulties finding a television partner to help finance the project.

This is despite the astronomical success of the six Star Wars films, which grossed an estimated $4.3 billion at box offices worldwide, and no doubt indicative of the extreme wariness gripping the industry.

Lucas said television executives were “having a hard time” getting to grips with his ideas for the series. “They’re saying, ‘This doesn’t fit into our little square boxes’ and I say, ‘Well, yeah, but it’s Star Wars. And Star Wars doesn’t fit into that box’.”

So far the only actor recruited for the series, which is set between episodes III and IV, is Anthony Daniels, who played C-3P0 on the big screen, according to the Internet Movie Database.

Lucas is refusing to give away any details about the content of the series, joking only that it would be about “the life of robots”.

But the internet is already abuzz with rumours. Film site Ain’t it Cool News, for example, claims the series will revisit the gripping pod races from Episode I: The Phantom Menace and feature such minor characters as Bib Fortuna, Jabba the Hut’s right-hand man, and Oola, the green-skinned dancer chained to Jabba’s throne.

The Star Wars universe has already spawned a multitude of spin-offs beyond the six films, the first of which was released in 1977, involving books, comics and games.

Rick McCallum, the series producer who has reportedly begun to interview writers, last year suggested a television spin-off could run to at least 100 episodes.

Lucas is already working on another Star Wars-themed television project, a computer animated series being produced by Lucasfilm Animation entitled Star Wars: The Clone Wars and due out next year.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/10/17/wstar217.xml

martianvirus

This could be good, as long as he doesn't make it kid friendly. He can also keep the gay out of it as well. No stupid people like jar jar.

Evilton

Why do black people call each other "Monica"?
True.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
This could be good, as long as he doesn't make it kid friendly. He can also keep the gay out of it as well. No stupid people like jar jar.
George is a self-absorbed douche.

This series is targeted to kids, just hope he has enough brains to keep it just "smart" enough for the older demo too.

fuckwit

He loves you, and he needs money.
Yes, could be good. But it wont. If Lucas has proven anything since the "remastered" editions of Star Wars or the prequel trilogy its that he has lost it. He should shrivel up and die and stay the fuck away from Star Wars till he does.

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
Yeah, if I see one wacky puppet character I'm turning it off.

Still, a Star Wars series in the format of a drama (such as Dexter or Rescue Me, those kind of shows), that would be kind of neat.

But I am 90% sure he's just milking this cash cow some more before retirement.

martianvirus

The question is, how much milk can one cow give?

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Yeah, if I see one wacky puppet character I'm turning it off.

Still, a Star Wars series in the format of a drama (such as Dexter or Rescue Me, those kind of shows), that would be kind of neat.

But I am 90% sure he's just milking this cash cow some more before retirement.
How many fucking billions does this cunt need?

Shit, hook me up with one tenth of a billion and I'm set.

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
How many fucking billions does this cunt need?

Shit, hook me up with one tenth of a billion and I'm set.
Money can become an addiction.

The man just loves getting money.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Memo to Lucas: What is your problem with doing a storyline that continues after Episode 6. Or allowing a writer and director to make a film based on one of the many novels that took place after that film. I have feeling this fill fail. All you have to do is look at the Star Trek problem. Fans want the original characthers, not new ones.

Mindslayer

Best in the Biz
He wont do what youre saying precisely because he barely even acknowledges that the Expanded Universe exists, although Im sure he has no problem cashing checks associated with it.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Memo to Lucas: What is your problem with doing a storyline that continues after Episode 6. Or allowing a writer and director to make a film based on one of the many novels that took place after that film. I have feeling this fill fail. All you have to do is look at the Star Trek problem. Fans want the original characthers, not new ones.
I have to agree. It's so annoying how many Star Wars fans have no idea who Corran Horn or Mara Jade is.

lucas you one trick pony asshole,
Start a religion or somthing

jagsfans

I have to agree. It's so annoying how many Star Wars fans have no idea who Corran Horn or Mara Jade is.
Most Star Wars fans are idiots and could not get interested in the stories in the books following Jedi even if they were made into TV shows or Movies. They do not have the patience to develop characters and storylines.

kloraferm

Humor is reason gone mad
Or the names of Luke and Leia's kids...
I knew Han and Leia had a son, Anakin, but I didn't even remember Luke having a kid. I guess I've gotta dust off my geek badge. :rolleyes: (p.s.: the way you worded that made it seem like there was a bit of incest going on there...just saying)

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
I knew Han and Leia had a son, Anakin, but I didn't even remember Luke having a kid. I guess I've gotta dust off my geek badge. :rolleyes: (p.s.: the way you worded that made it seem like there was a bit of incest going on there...just saying)
From what I remember, Luke wound up marrying Mara Jade and they named their son, Ben Skywalker. As for Han and Leia's twins, Jacen and Jaina.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Why isn't Lucas doing Star Wars pr0n with all this material?

Plunkies

I'm sure it will suck.

I want a show about HK-47.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
ive always wanted to see some more of the clone wars, and what happend after return of the jedi

Mindslayer

Best in the Biz
From what I remember, Luke wound up marrying Mara Jade and they named their son, Ben Skywalker. As for Han and Leia's twins, Jacen and Jaina.
In the most recent set of books, Jacen has gone Sith and taken on the name Darth Caedus. He tried taking on Ben as his apprentice but the kid wouldnt turn completely dark. Jacen also killed Mara in a duel, solidifying his acceptance of his Sith destiny.

Anyway, as far as the show goes, there are plenty post RotJ in the novels and comics, but that material wont even be considered for the TV series, and not only because the show is going to be Rebellion era.

Top Bottom