German town designates tricky parking 'men only'

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
BERLIN (AP) — A town in southwest Germany has drawn accusations of sexism after designating two particularly tricky parking spaces "men only."
The mayor of the Black Forest town of Triberg says women would find it difficult to park there because drivers need to back in diagonally without hitting a pillar and a wall.
Gallus Strobel noted that 12 places in the 220-capacity car park are reserved for women. Many German cities designate a small number of parking spaces, usually near exits, for women concerned about their personal safety in poorly-lit garages.
Strobel told The Associated Press on Thursday that he had received overwhelmingly positive reactions from men who feel discriminated against by "women only" parking.
But the Triberg mayor says some "humorless people" had criticized the move.
http://news.yahoo.com/german-town-designates-tricky-parking-men-only-164242182.html?_esi=1

Seems reasonable.

Feb 5, 2003
With a stranger
So 12 parking spaces reserved for women who are perfectly healthy is ok but 2 for men is sexist? It seems like the 12 spots for women are nice and close to the exits and the 2 spots for men are pains in the ass to get to. If that's anti-woman then what do you have to do to be pro-woman? Just to teach those whiners a lesson they should replace all of the toilets in the building with urinals.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
So 12 parking spaces reserved for women who are perfectly healthy is ok but 2 for men is sexist? It seems like the 12 spots for women are nice and close to the exits and the 2 spots for men are pains in the ass to get to. If that's anti-woman then what do you have to do to be pro-woman? Just to teach those whiners a lesson they should replace all of the toilets in the building with urinals.
I'm pretty sure the sexist comes from the implication that women can't handle complex driving...no matter how true it is.

How is it that women have better situational awareness than men but can't park for shit?