Germany Seeks to Ban Scientology

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
Friday, Dec. 07, 2007 By AP
(BERLIN) — Germany's top security officials said Friday they consider the goals of the U.S.-based Church of Scientology to be in conflict with the principles of the nation's constitution and will seek to ban the group.

The interior ministers of the nation's 16 states as well as federal Interior Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble "consider Scientology to be an organization that is not compatible with the constitution," Berlin Interior Minister Erhart Koerting, who presided over the officials' two-day conference, told reporters.

The German government considers Scientology a commercial enterprise that takes advantage of vulnerable people. During the summer, it initially refused to allow the producers of a movie starring Scientology member Tom Cruise as Germany's most famous anti-Hitler plotter to film at the site where the hero was executed, although it did not expressly state Scientology as its reason.

The ministers plan to task the nation's domestic intelligence agency to begin preparing the necessary information to ban Scientology in Germany. The agency has had Scientology under observation for a decade on allegations that it "threatens the peaceful democratic order" of the country.

Scientologists have long battled to end the surveillance, saying it is an abuse of their right to freedom of religion. The State Department regularly criticizes Germany in its annual Human Rights Report for the monitoring practice.

WaddleDoodle

Creepy? We're the CIA. It's what we do.
Mar 15, 2005
Arlington, VA
Huh. So Scientology is a threat to the democratic order, but radical Islam isn't? Nice to see that they have their priorities straight.

BTW, I had Scientology too, I just don't think that it's something to concentrate on when the sharia-enclaves are developing in the gastarbeiter communities.

Xyn

3 letters, 0 meaning
Mar 3, 2005
California
Huh. So Scientology is a threat to the democratic order, but radical Islam isn't? Nice to see that they have their priorities straight.

BTW, I had Scientology too, I just don't think that it's something to concentrate on when the sharia-enclaves are developing in the gastarbeiter communities.
Scientology is pretty fucked up. they have a history of illegal activities and indimidation tactics. They obviously don't hold a candle to Islam though.

We need to get over the whole "cult" "religion" thing. If a cult isn't going ape shit, let em be. If a religion is getting out of hand, fucking put them in their place.

Evilton

Why do black people call each other "Monica"?
Oct 1, 2006
Scientology is fucked I hope they ban it.

Feb 20, 2006
**** Island
Scientologists need to quit being pussies and crucify Tom Cruise. That'll get them kick-started.

TheDrip

I'm bi-winning.
Jan 9, 2006
Fuck 'em. You don't like it, find another L. Ron Hubbard book to base your entire existence on.