[Question] Getting files off a computer that keeps crashing

kramer0419

Mar 5, 2008
Cleveland
Ok so my computer keeps crashing on me. It won't stay running for more than 5 minutes until it either crashes to the blue screen or just locks up completely. I have most of my import files on a external HD but I have about 50 GB of music i would really hate to lose on the computers HD itsself. Is there anything I can do to get those files off my PC ?

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
Have you tried booting in safe mode?

If you have access to another computer, download and burn a linux bootable cd and see if the comp is stable enough to try to copy the files over to an external. Otherwise, you're going to have to take the drive out of your comp, hook it up to another and see if you can copy the files that way.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Try running a disk check and make sure you let it do the advanced "check surface area for errors". Get to that menu by right-clicking on your C drive and selecting "tools" and let the machine reboot and do its thing. It'll probably take a couple of hours.

kramer0419

Mar 5, 2008
Cleveland
Im assuming you don't know what's causing the crashing?
I'm not positive but I have a feeling it might be because I had issues with my power supply and had the video card replaced. I bought a new PC and I don't really wanna throw a bunch of money into the old computer. I was hoping there was a fairly cheap method.

kramer0419

Mar 5, 2008
Cleveland
Try running a disk check and make sure you let it do the advanced "check surface area for errors". Get to that menu by right-clicking on your C drive and selecting "tools" and let the machine reboot and do its thing. It'll probably take a couple of hours.
I'll try this but everything I've tried it locks up or blue screens

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
I'm not positive but I have a feeling it might be because I had issues with my power supply and had the video card replaced. I bought a new PC and I don't really wanna throw a bunch of money into the old computer. I was hoping there was a fairly cheap method.
If you have a new pc, just take the drive out of the old comp and connect it to the new one.

kramer0419

Mar 5, 2008
Cleveland
If you have a new pc, just take the drive out of the old comp and connect it to the new one.
I've done stuff like this before but like 10 years ago in highschool with old ass IBM computers so I'm not that updated on how to do that shit but should I be able to just add the old HDD to the new computer? Like would there be a place to install it inside the housing?

Bluestreak

This space intentionally left blank.
Sep 27, 2007
Mawl-din, MA
First: make/model
Hitting F12 during boot may push you towards the diagnostic menu.
If not, hit F8 during boot to get into safe mode.
Once in safe mode: start - run type "CMD" hit enter.
In the command window type "chkdsk /f"
It'll prompt you to hit y or n. hit y.
Reboot your computer. You should see the chkdsk start after the boot up.

If that doesn't work, buy a $20 cable to attach the hard drive to another computer.
Don't bother with Geek Squad. Pm me.

Mags

Edgelord
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Place Of Ill Repute
I've done stuff like this before but like 10 years ago in highschool with old ass IBM computers so I'm not that updated on how to do that shit but should I be able to just add the old HDD to the new computer? Like would there be a place to install it inside the housing?
It's easier than you think. Carefully open the new PC and locate the HD. Depending on the case, there should be room for another HD. Look at the cables running to the new PC's HD (power & data). There should be connectors along those cables for another HD.
Just hook those to the old HD and secure it inside the new PC.

First time you boot it may take a while to boot due to the new HD but it should really go flawlessly as long as the old HD isn't shot. Just make sure all the connections are in tight and secure. Trust me, it isn't that scary and these parts are generally plug and play.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
If you really need those files, what you should stop doing is keep running the glitchy PC with the hard drive in it. It could damage it, if it's not broken already.

You can try to use your new PC for this (if the interface fits, probably will - and it's safe, you're not doing anything fancy), try and find a friend with an older PC where it fits (out of these two, I bet one will definitely work), or find a cheap repair shop where they will just do that for you (and call it "data salvage").

Or, if you don't need the contents right away, just store the HD in a dry place, and you can get to it later. I have several old HDs I just use to store shit on. I'm not really basing this on any actual technical knowledge, but I doubt they'll ever break if I leave them alone.

P.S. Don't you have the two computers on a LAN? You can transfer files over that, and it's actually faster than any other method.

Top Bottom