Getting Published

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
How does one go about getting published? I'm talking more along the lines of print rather than online, or if online at least something with some sort of prestige and not just the equivalent of a blog. Payment is preferable, though not necessary. I don't have a particular area of expertise in writing so I am pretty much open to trying my hand at anything. I don't have any connections but it's something I've been wanting to try my hand at.

Any suggestions?

BaLZaC~308

ONE OF THE COOL KIDS
Sep 27, 2006
staten
How does one go about getting published? I'm talking more along the lines of print rather than online, or if online at least something with some sort of prestige and not just the equivalent of a blog. Payment is preferable, though not necessary. I don't have a particular area of expertise in writing so I am pretty much open to trying my hand at anything. I don't have any connections but it's something I've been wanting to try my hand at.

Any suggestions?

if you are serious I can talk to a friend of mine whos been submitting stuff for a long time, I dont think he's been published anywhere major but he's been writing for years.

It would help if you knew what you wanted to write about

Feb 20, 2006
**** Island
Talk to other writers. If you don't know any then find a workshop and ask away. I'm not that far along yet.

Mommadeez4u

Bastard coated bastard w/ bastard filling
Mar 26, 2005
Washington, DC
start with periodicals. most magazines will have submission guidelines near the masthead or staff pages.

Usually everything begins with a LOQ, Letter of Query. In the LOQ you briefly introduce yourself, make your case for why you would be an excellent author for the magazine, then pitch your article idea. The whole thing should not take more than one page.

Of course everything has to be perfect in your letter-- formatting, grammar, etc. As you become more widely published, you can submit those published samples to larger or more highly regarded magazines along with your LOQ.

If you have a book idea you have to have an 'in' with a large publishing house, either you somehow get a Reader to read your manuscript and pass it up the chain or you successfully pitch your idea to someone above the reader.