Getting Rid of Techsessories

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
Uniqueness and/or planned future uses. I sort through myself every year, so some things just get delayed execution.

It's not worth keeping most of it. For example, I haven't had a land line for 15 years, yet had an old phone in a box in the back of 4 different closets in that time. I got a VioP box last year, and finally put that phone to use again. Was I better off lugging that shitty phone around half the state, or just spending $20 on a new one last year?

I have power tools at my parent's house that I've been saving for restoration/ repair for 15 years. I have working, newer models of the same tools. I plan on making a dump run the next time I visit them.

I'm not saying people should be ok with the culture of trash and replace every year... I research anything I buy excessively so I maximize the use I get out of it. I'm just saying be honest with yourself. Does that ugly box in the corner of your office which hasn't been opened in five years bring more to your life than that space being empty would? For me, I'd often rather have the empty space.
Oh god, how badly do I need help when I find myself "inspired by whiskeyguy."
Well shit. This sounds like a great way to handle your crap. May just make use. My chick is an absolute hoarder to the point that she'll attach emotionally to inanimate objects through some sort of weird anthropomorphism and then never want to get rid of it. I've got this weird ostrich stuffed animal that the cats fuck with because she saw the awkward looking thing in the bargain bin in a supermarket and wanted us to 'rescue' it. Ultimately I don't care because it makes her happy for four bucks, but there's a lot of weird clutter for shit like that.
I can trim down my shit though, and your method seems sound.

LiddyRules

RIP King of France. Gutted Like Fish Under R Line
I don't mind getting rid of it, I'm more interested if there was a better way to donate/recycle them.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Oh god, how badly do I need help when I find myself "inspired by whiskeyguy."
Well shit. This sounds like a great way to handle your crap. May just make use. My chick is an absolute hoarder to the point that she'll attach emotionally to inanimate objects through some sort of weird anthropomorphism and then never want to get rid of it. I've got this weird ostrich stuffed animal that the cats fuck with because she saw the awkward looking thing in the bargain bin in a supermarket and wanted us to 'rescue' it. Ultimately I don't care because it makes her happy for four bucks, but there's a lot of weird clutter for shit like that.
I can trim down my shit though, and your method seems sound.
I get a bit of anxiety if I think about potentially moving and feel the weight of my useless shit influencing my decision.

To be clear, I'm 100% the hoarder I use to be... I was just able to focus the addiction on digital stuff. My digital hoarding is scary, but I'd rather take 4 hard drives with me when I move, than six uhaul trips. I use to buy shot glasses to remember trips by, now I take 1,000 photos with my DSLR instead (and have a tough time deleting them)... but those photos take up less physical space than a single shot glass.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
I don't mind getting rid of it, I'm more interested if there was a better way to donate/recycle them.
I'm sure there are numerous places where you can donate your unwanted components to be recycled by where you're at.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
I have a ton of old phone chargers that all have proprietary plugs...like old Nextel and Nokia phones that had these really fat plug ins. I feel like I will be doing civilization a disservice if I toss them. So they remain safely tucked in a junk box.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
in a box with old charge cables, waiting for the future when they will be valuable
I’ve got a large box of nothing but cables, and you know what? I just buy new ones, I think of the giant box of cables and chargers I’ve only ever used one, and that was the other day when I need a 12v ac adapter for my BBQ grill, and even then I ended up using a 19vt. I’ve modified a few from mini usb to micro usb to charge some shit but I really should just toss them all in the fucking trash

THE FEZ MAN

Several of my drinking cronies are “scrappers” a 5 gallon bucket full of chargers and power cables are worth 5$ at the scrap yard, if you smash them and just pull out the copper it’s worth $10

5skin

Somewhere on Molly Ringwald
Boxes and instructions go directly in the trash when opened and I don't save used cables ever. New equipment, new cables as required.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
I moved a few months ago and had no idea what an unbelievable horde of bullshit I'd collected. I threw out parallel cables, CD drives, modems, flip phones, various lengths of coax cable, phone cords, ethernet cables from the pre-bootie era with the clips broken, power bricks for who knows what, sound cards...one huge Hefty bag full. Then I got a 15-pack of these Sterilite storage boxes and kinda sorted everything that was left. Now they're on a shelf in a closet in a new apartment taking up space that I don't even care about because I never had the chance to use it for anything else.

I need to go through and at least toss duplicate shit... I was glad I held on to a few parallel cables. As it I needed one to bypass a bios pw on a late friend's laptop... basically just connect a couple of the wire and it took the password off.

THE FEZ MAN

I need to go through and at least toss duplicate shit... I was glad I held on to a few parallel cables. As it I needed one to bypass a bios pw on a late friend's laptop... basically just connect a couple of the wire and it took the password off.
I dug out my old VHSC camcorder the other day, I need to hook it up and transfer it to digital, and damn if I didn’t find the propriety cable it uses in a pile of wires

I dug out my old VHSC camcorder the other day, I need to hook it up and transfer it to digital, and damn if I didn’t find the propriety cable it uses in a pile of wires
Well I went "mainstreamish" for a while and was running Firewire 400 on my Intel motherboard... that the caps cooked oddly under warranty... and then again a few years later. So had a pc built from scratch with no bits from old puters... 7 years ago... started acting wonky with new PhotoShop upgraded memory from 8 gig to 32 gig for a hundred bucks... well the biggest and fastest memory this board would support and holy shit my computer is back to normal.

I think next is I'll replace the hybrid ssd/hd to all ssd and see what I get...

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk." - T. Edison