Gigs

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
How long you've had your gig or been unemployed?

Konstantin K

Big League Poster
Aug 25, 2010
Seven and a half months. Before that, unemployed for like 15 months.

MetalBender

I like fistables.
Dec 20, 2009
New Orleans....Iowa
15 years, never been unemployed just layed off. It was a complete accident starting my own thing but there was nowhere else to go. Every year just gets better.

Siding guy btw, hence Metalbender. Custom bent metal wrap is what I enjoy doing. Saddly business took hold and now it's always estimates, books, customer relations, and payroll. I think I actually made more laboring, at least mentally.

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
Employed last couple years.. But unemployment at or above 8% (24 mil+ people) for last 3 years. Don't know much about economics but that's a shitload for a very long sustained period. Whats the breaking point percentage or time period. As high as the rate has been, haven't seen a real negative impact news coverage or personally. The unemployment checks must be holding a lot together.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
Employed last couple years.. But unemployment at or above 8% (24 mil+ people) for last 3 years. Don't know much about economics but that's a shitload for a very long sustained period. Whats the breaking point percentage or time period. As high as the rate has been, haven't seen a real negative impact news coverage or personally. The unemployment checks must be holding a lot together.

Not only that but think of the millions who are under employed

there are tens of millions of people in this country who are working longer and harder for less money than they were making in 2006 - something happened in 2007 to fuck it all up

when people have less discretionary spending money, the economy goes to hell

meanwhile the bureaucrat class is prospering

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Dec 9, 2005
Arizona
Owned a SnapOn route for the past nine years. Sold out 2 months ago and looking for something else. This is the longest I've been unemployed in 25 years, but not in a hurry until I find the right one.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
A year and a half, but like most people in the radio business, way underemployed.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
ive been at my current job since 1/1/2003 before that i was at the same shop for about 10 years the longest ive ever been "un employed" was 3 days between when i was fired from my last shop and started some part time stuff doing auto glass installation, one of the unique things about me is not only will i do anything, i have a very desirable skill set, even if i was to grow a set of balls and tell my current owner to shit in his hat i know i could find a job with in a day or two, mainly because so many local business men know me and my work ethic

Mar 2, 2005
chicago
24 years as a carpenter, 15 of those in the union. we took a hit in 09 and was laidoff for just over 2 years. got a job making 1/3 what i used to make and im traveling all over (all expenses paid) but fuck it work is work

righty

Diamond and Zeus
Dec 26, 2004
Parsippany N.J.
97 to 01 worked for family concrete business doing everything non union. Labor,mason pump operator, carpenter truck driver etc. Joined ironwoeker union July 01. Was great till 09 when metlife stadium was finished. No work 2 months straight July Aug 09. June 09 just got my first house. Since then work has been here and there. Lost benefits got back. Started taking online electrical course throughpenn foster. My neighbor is an electrician so when he gets side work I volunteer quick. I get paid also. Right now been laid off since Nov 8. Unemployment is down to $321. Hope I can start a new one since that was opened last Dec. Or get an extension. Well that felt good to get off my chest. Happy thanksgiving. ,

Aug 5, 2004
Same company for 11 years.. just changed roles internally

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Been a "contractor" for a little over a year. This is the 2nd time I have worked for them. Originally worked for them from February 05-September 08. Quite then worked in a different field for a little over two years, was laid of for a month then came back to this shitty company as a "contractor" with zero benefits.

MetalBender

I like fistables.
Dec 20, 2009
New Orleans....Iowa
Been a "contractor" for a little over a year. This is the 2nd time I have worked for them. Originally worked for them from February 05-September 08. Quite then worked in a different field for a little over two years, was laid of for a month then came back to this shitty company as a "contractor" with zero benefits.
But the biggest benefit is being a contractor. No one to dictate when or how you get things done is the main reason I do it.