Gillette Gets Woke

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
"Guys, don't act this way."
*shows guys acting in ways guys don't act*
What year do these people think it is?

jnoble

Lingering longer for a longering linger
The fact they included that CUUUUUUNT from the Young Turds made me punch out on whatever they're selling right there

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Whatever. Fuckin shitty ass razors. Everytime I need new razors, I'll scour thru slickdeals and search for Dorco. I can usually get Pace 6 with a new handle and 2 cartridges for $1.70 and free shipping. And then sometimes they'll run a promo for 10 cartridges for $12. I just stock up. And at least Pace 6 doesnt cut up my face and neck, like Gillette...and I can get quite a few uses out of one razor.

LiddyRules

I Think I'll Eat An Apple
Dollar Shave Club has issued a statement that "cutting out the middleman" is offensive to

* Women and non CIS individuals;
* Survivors of knife and/or razor attacks;
* Middlemen for threatening their job; and
* Alopecians

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
"The boys watching today will be the men of tomorrow".

Did they just assume their future gender?

KRSOne

They are getting a ton of attention for this. Its risky but they could end up selling more razors.

How did Budweiser do when they tried to tell men they are awful to try and sell more beer?

ysr50

Donator
I've been using DSC for several years and have no complaints.

DR. Jimcy M.E.

I bring love and cheer.
Dollar Shave Club has issued a statement that "cutting out the middleman" is offensive to

* Women and non CIS individuals;
* Survivors of knife and/or razor attacks;
* Middlemen for threatening their job; and
* Alopecians
Middleman is a pejorative term. You need to take your dude-bro humor down a notch.

LiddyRules

I Think I'll Eat An Apple
They are getting a ton of attention for this. Its risky but they could end up selling more razors.

How did Budweiser do when they tried to tell men they are awful to try and sell more beer?
I know it's going to be easy to go "SJW zombie! All SJW buy Gilette now!" but it doesn't work that way. You're not going to get people to change their buying habits to buy your stuff with this SJW gimmick. It's not enough to convince you to buy their product nor does it introduce a new product.

But what might change people's buying habits is an advertising campaign telling your entire customer base, "you guys are monsters. But maybe there's hope for the next generation." And presenting men as caricatures of the men in Mad Men: An XXX Parody.

At least try this around the holidays when people are buying shaving kits as gifts and maybe the name Gillette would be in your brain goop even if you can't remember why. Doing it in the middle of January? I don't get it.

I fully expected that by the end of Wednesday, they're going to pull this and issue a press release with -- let me take a crack at it...

"We at Gillette respect diversity of viewpoints and did not intend to insult nor denigrate (too fancy a word?) men or our loyal customers. Our promo was made not to dismiss men but rather to highlight their positive changes in behavior and understanding over time, particularly the past few years. It was also important that we show that not all men fit a single mold, and we need not limit ourselves to one understanding of what "the best a man can get" is. We did not foresee the response our advertising would receive. We're encouraged to inspire discussion about this important topic but have decided to re-evaluate our marketing strategy going forward.

We at Gillette have been proud to be your grooming destination for generations and will be proud to do so into the 21st century."

Last edited:

SKEPTIC

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
So I decided to look into the feminist director's prior work, and have linked to them below.

The ad was notably directed by U.K.-based Kim Gehrig, whose recent work includes Sport England’s acclaimed “This Girl Can” series and “Viva La Vulva,” a female empowerment anthem for Swedish brand Libresse that was one of Adweek’s favorite spots of 2018.
Gillette Asks How We Define Masculinity in the #MeToo Era as ‘The Best a Man Can Get’ Turns 30

Viva La Vulva

https://kimgehrig.com/work/viva-la-vulva/

This time, the ad isn’t just highlighting periods; it’s celebrating everything that makes vaginas great.
Everything Is a Vagina Worth Singing About in This Brand’s Glorious ‘Viva La Vulva’ Anthem

This Girl Can

https://kimgehrig.com/work/this-girl-can/

Last edited: