Girl Buys Water, Spends Night In Jail

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
I almost don't believe this story...or at least, I must think there's more to this story. 7 plainclothes, undercover agents working for the VA State Alcohol Beverage Control division follow a 20-year old girl out to her car at 10:15 at night, suspecting that the 12-pack of sparkling water she just bought was beer. They identify themselves, flash some sort of badge, and ask to see what she's got...she doesn't trust them and immediately hops in the car with her friends and takes off...grazing two of the agents. The girls then call 911 and another "agent" pulls them over and arrests the girl for eluding authorities and 2 counts of assaulting law enforcement officers.

All over a fucking 12 pack of water.

Girl Buys Water, Spends Night In Jail

Felony charges were dropped on Thursday against a 20-year-old University of Virginia student who says she panicked when undercover agents from the state's Alcohol Beverage Control division mistook her water purchase for beer.

According to Charlottesville (Va.) Daily Progress, the student, Elizabeth Daly, was walking to her car on April 11 at approximately 10:15 p.m. with a box of sparkling water, cookie dough and ice cream she had just bought from a local supermarket when the agents—six men and one woman, all in plainclothes—approached suspecting the box, a blue carton of LaCroix sparkling water, to be a 12-pack of beer. One jumped on the hood of her SUV; another pulled out a gun, Daly said, as her roommates seated inside looked on in horror.

"They were showing unidentifiable badges after they approached us, but we became frightened, as they were not in anything close to a uniform," Daly wrote in an account submitted to the court. "I couldn't put my windows down unless I started my car, and when I started my car they began yelling to not move the car, not to start the car. They began trying to break the windows. My roommates and I were ... terrified."

Daly's roommate in the front passenger seat told her to "go, go, go"—and that's what she did, apparently "grazing" two of the agents in the process.

The students called 911 as they left the parking lot, police said, and were pulled over by another agent driving a vehicle with lights and sirens, Charlottesville Commonwealth Attorney Dave Chapman told the paper.

Daly apologized when she realized who they were, Chapman said, but agents arrested Daly and charged her with two counts of assaulting a law enforcement officer and one count of eluding police—each carrying a maximum penalty of five years in prison and $2,500 in fines. She spent the night in Albemarle-Charlottesville Regional Jail.

"This has been an extremely trying experience," Daly wrote. "It is something to this day I cannot understand or believe has come to this point."

Either can Chapman.

"It wouldn't be the right thing to do to prosecute this," he said.

Nonetheless, Chapman "stood by the agents' decision to file charges, citing faith in a process that yielded an appropriate resolution."

"You don't know all the facts until you complete the investigation," he said.
And I thought my state's ABC commission was riddled with corruption and some of the most arduous restrictions and enforcement. That is bullshit.

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
LaCroix? What, too good for Dasani? Fuck dis bitch.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
Yeesh. Cut the girls some slack, would ya?

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Were they fat?

VicVinegar

Oct 5, 2012
Not that I've ever gone in looking for it, but I don't remember any of the ABC stores I've been in having anything but booze. It's not like your classic "liquor store" which sells other things. ABC stores exist solely for the government to control the sale of liquor.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
Not that I've ever gone in looking for it, but I don't remember any of the ABC stores I've been in having anything but booze. It's not like your classic "liquor store" which sells other things. ABC stores exist solely for the government to control the sale of liquor.
Thanks for the random factoid. What does that have to do with this story?

Oct 4, 2004
Las Vegas
She could've avoided all this if she'd just drank out of her faucet.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming

And she bought the water in a supermarket. Harris Teeter is a supermarket. These faggots pretending to be cops should be fired.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
Elizabeth Daly, was walking to her car on April 11 at approximately 10:15 p.m. with a box of sparkling water, cookie dough and ice cream she had just bought from a local supermarket
It wasn't even a liquor store.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
I know some nice people posted pictures for you, but I'm not sure why you needed to ask:

Elizabeth Daly, was walking to her car on April 11 at approximately 10:15 p.m. with a box of sparkling water, cookie dough and ice cream

samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
May 16, 2007
Chicago
This is the only Elizabeth Daily (sic) I care about...

>>>

jrsaint

Feb 13, 2006
right behind you
Jump on my hood with a gun pulled? good fuckin way to get run over. BTW When is a case of water a lethal weapon and when is buying alcohol illegally constitute a threat to an officer's life? They should all be fired!!!!

VMS

Victim of high standards and low personal skills.
Apr 26, 2006
LaCroix? What, too good for Dasani? Fuck dis bitch.
UVa sorority girls. It's about par for the course. Snooty cunts, all of them.

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
When I hear stories like this I wonder how many of the cops are Iraq vets and think they are still in a war zone. Send these guys to the border or Chicago or Detroit.... if they are starved for action.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
***Follow Up***

UVA Student Getting $212,500 Settlement Over Arrest For Buying Bottled Water

A college student who says she fled in terror when undercover officers who thought she had illegally bought beer swarmed her SUV has reached a $212,500 settlement with the state of Virginia.

Attorney General Mark R. Herring announced the settlement Wednesday night with Elizabeth Daly, who had filed a $40 million federal lawsuit against agents with the state Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control. The lawsuit said Daly had bought a carton of sparkling water at a supermarket in April 2013, which the agents mistook for beer. She said that the badges around the agents' necks were not clearly visible, and that the agents did not identify themselves as officers.

The agents banged on the sport utility vehicle and demanded that she open the window and not start the engine. One tried to break the window with a flashlight, and after another officer pulled a gun, one of Daly's two passengers shouted that the badges were fake and implored the driver to "go, go, go," according to the lawsuit.

Daly was charged with eluding police and assaulting a police officer after her SUV grazed two of the agents. The arrest provoked a public outcry, and the charges were dropped.

Herring said the settlement was not an admission of wrongdoing by any of the parties in the lawsuit.

"My goal throughout this case has been to reach a resolution that is just and fair for all parties, including Ms. Daly, the ABC and its agents, and the Commonwealth and its taxpayers," Herring said. "After careful consideration of the potentially significant costs of taking this case to trial, I believe we have reached such an outcome."

Daly's attorney, James B. Thorsen, didn't immediately return a telephone message left at his Richmond office Thursday morning.
Link

JackieImpression

Mar 25, 2013
That $212,500 comes straight from the Taxpayers. If they wanted real justice they'd take ten times that amount from the officers' pensions and retirement. Now the cops have $212,500 in parking tickets and open container violations to hand out within the next tax quarter to make up for that lawsuit.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
ABC cops just need to fucking stop these hard tactics. You're not taking down dangerous folks. No need to hit them hard and fast. Casually walk up, identify yourself, show you badge, and treat it professionally.

If 7 assholes run up on me in a parking lot yelling, there will be trouble.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
That $212,500 comes straight from the Taxpayers. If they wanted real justice they'd take ten times that amount from the officers' pensions and retirement. Now the cops have $212,500 in parking tickets and open container violations to hand out within the next tax quarter to make up for that lawsuit.
Well Cops-ish... really the booze police... I know when they have been through here as I get carded for beers at the Supermarket...

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
ABC cops just need to fucking stop these hard tactics. You're not taking down dangerous folks. No need to hit them hard and fast. Casually walk up, identify yourself, show you badge, and treat it professionally.

If 7 assholes run up on me in a parking lot yelling, there will be trouble.
Again, you're blaming the cops for doing their jobs.

You want change, go after the policies, not the cops.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
Again, you're blaming the cops for doing their jobs.

You want change, go after the policies, not the cops.
The policy is that cops are allowed to be way too aggressive against non-violent suspects, and aren't held responsible when they create dangerous situations out of thin air, the way they did here.

Yes, that policy should change, and cops that do it should be punished.