Giuliani campaign hit by firefighter critics

Aug 27, 2002
Philly
Rudy Giuliani's most compelling credential for his run for the White House - his leadership during the September 11 terror attacks - was criticised yesterday by fire union leaders and relatives of firefighters killed at the World Trade Centre.The indictment of Mr Giuliani's leadership, delivered in a 13-minute video released yesterday by the International Association of Fire Fighters, came at a vulnerable time for the former mayor of New York. No candidate has managed to dominate the Republican race but although Mr Giuliani has been doing best in the polls, his figures have been dropping.
His cause is unlikely to be helped by criticism from firefighters, 343 of whom were killed in the attacks and became heroes to Americans for their bravery.Amid footage of smoke billowing from the twin towers, union officials and parents of the dead firefighters blamed Mr Giuliani for faulty radios which prevented the workers from hearing commands to evacuate the towers before they collapsed. Mr Giuliani was also accused of indecent haste in his clean-up of Ground Zero, and giving up on the search for the remains of firefighters.
"Rudy Giuliani has used the horrible events of September 11 2001 to create a carefully crafted persona," Harold Schaitberger, the president of the International Association of Firefighters, said in his introduction. "But the fact is what Rudy portrays is not a full picture of the decisions he made that in our that led to the unnecessary deaths."
Mr Giuliani's campaign rejected the charges. But the video was the second setback for a leading Republican contender in as many days. John McCain, who began the year as Republican frontrunner for the 2008 presidential contest, was put in the awkward position of insisting he remained in the race despite falling poll ratings, loss of campaign staff and a spending crisis.
His rivals, Republican campaign strategists and political commentators were divided yesterday over whether he is capable of a comeback. He is to abandon his national campaign and mount a slimmed-down one concentrating on the key primary states: Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina.
Although other contenders have managed comebacks in previous campaigns, the extent of the mismanagement of campaign funds could haunt him. Mr McCain's team has spent most of the $24m (£12m) raised in the first six months of the year, leaving only $2m in the bank, a paltry sum compared with the other candidates' funds. Even though the primaries are six months away, the danger for Mr McCain is that his campaign could just dissolve.
It emerged yesterday that he wasted substantial sums on rented accommodation in states such as Alabama and Michigan, which are not important in the presidential race, and spent $460,000 on private jets and $24,723 on limousines. Alex Vogel, a Republican strategist, said: "It [the campaign] is as close to terminal as you can get without actually dying." But Mr Giuliani, refused to write him off saying: "I'd be the last one to think John McCain is done."
Mr McCain has appointed a new campaign director, Rick Davis, who headed his team in the 2000 election campaign. Mr McCain has been damaged by his support for George Bush's Iraq strategy and his immigration reforms. Although such reforms are badly needed, they played badly with Republicans reluctant to offer a route to citizenship for the estimated 20 million illegal immigrants.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uselections08/rudygiuliani/story/0,,2124397,00.html

talljimmy0

May 10, 2007
Besides the 19 muslim ghosts Rudy was responsible for more death on 9/11.

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
Yes, god forbid they try to clean ground 0 up. I don't understand what thier complaint is.

Also this is just one firefighters union, there are many not saying what these guys are saying.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Yes, god forbid they try to clean ground 0 up. I don't understand what thier complaint is.

Also this is just one firefighters union, there are many not saying what these guys are saying.
FWIW... the IAFF has supported the Democratic presidential candidate for over 20 years. They have a streak to maintain.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Rudy might have acted like he was a friend to uniformed Civil Service workers in NYC, but his track record speaks otherwise.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
The complaint is that the focus shifted way too soon from search & recovery to clean up. There have been at least 3 cases where construction is being done & they find more remains. I'm not there, so I don't know if the remains would have been found otherwise, but how could you not look on the roof the Deutche Bank building???

Anyone see a pattern here? Anytime someone has a complaint against a republican well hell, obviously they have to be nuts, or affiliated with the democrats, or some other thing.

Boy I tell you. We are so lucky to be living around the gifted perfect people. Republicans. Who never do anything wrong, because whenever you ever try to point anything out obviously it's you that's wrong.

Have fun going after firefighters. maybe we can ship the FDNY to Guantanimo now.

HateMyName

Functioning Psychotic
Oct 15, 2004
DC suburbs
They are still finding remains. The search goes on.

Better, functioning communication systems would have saved people. They knew before 9/11 that the repeaters weren't working. In hindsight, it should've been higher priority.
Rescue workers (and residents of Manhattan) were told the air was breathable by both the EPA and the NYC government. They were wrong, and a lot of the rescue workers have permant respiratory damage and other health issues.
The FDNY wasn't getting along with the mayor on Sept. 10, 2001; the firefighters can't go on strike when they don't get the raises they are promised.
To someone who's not closely following the political race, Rudy Guiliani's platform is very 9/11 centric. Perhaps the people who lost family members (or are losing their health) don't want to be associated with Guiliani.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Anyone see a pattern here? Anytime someone has a complaint against a republican well hell, obviously they have to be nuts, or affiliated with the democrats, or some other thing.
The fact you think saying Rudy was responsible for a lot of deaths and invoking 9-11 terrorists is a reasonable line of argument says enough.

Look, I've said Bush sucks. Everyone says it. Some people think you should use reason to debate politics instead of going apeshit nuts about how great Ron Paul is and how everyone is awful in comparison.

It's myrmiddon devotion like that which makes me less likely to vote for Paul.

The fact you think saying Rudy was responsible for a lot of deaths and invoking 9-11 terrorists is a reasonable line of argument says enough.
They are still finding remains. The search goes on.

Better, functioning communication systems would have saved people. They knew before 9/11 that the repeaters weren't working. In hindsight, it should've been higher priority.
Rescue workers (and residents of Manhattan) were told the air was breathable by both the EPA and the NYC government. They were wrong, and a lot of the rescue workers have permant respiratory damage and other health issues.
The FDNY wasn't getting along with the mayor on Sept. 10, 2001; the firefighters can't go on strike when they don't get the raises they are promised.
To someone who's not closely following the political race, Rudy Guiliani's platform is very 9/11 centric. Perhaps the people who lost family members (or are losing their health) don't want to be associated with Guiliani.
The events that happened after 9-11 are very telling as to how it was handled.

if bringing those out, such as DC has posted is saying Rudy was solely responsible, so be it. Pointing out failures is not denouncing the man, it's saying Giuliani has based his entire campaign on how he handled 9-11.

He obviously has made grave mistakes that have led to these things being pointed out. I think as a nation people should know. And the more they do know I believe his candidacy will be shown as severely lacking.

This is his record. And pointing out his record is fair game.

Mommadeez4u

Bastard coated bastard w/ bastard filling
Mar 26, 2005
Washington, DC
Let's look at this using logic, shall we? Logically, there can be only one true statement here:

-Rudy Guliani's action prior to and immediately after the terrorist attack on 9-11 was responsible for a lot of deaths which otherwise would not have occurred.

-Rudy Guliani's action prior to and immediately after the terrorist attack on 9-11 was not responsible for a lot of deaths which otherwise would not have occurred.

-Rudy Guliani's action prior to and immediately after the terrorist attack on 9-11 was partially responsible for a lot of deaths which otherwise would not have occurred.

I have my opinions, what are yours?