Movie Glass: The Sequel to Unbreakable AND Split - 1/18/19

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
How'd you like season 3? I felt like it was the weakest. I agree that the series is great overall though.
I can see why you'd say that, but I came away very satisfied with season 3. I liked that they fucked with you by
the second to the last episode clearly being the 'finale' episode and then there's one episode left that's sort of weird and distant and cold. Seemed to kind of fit for me.
The whole show was built around leaving you unsettled and specifically not giving any satisfactory answers for anything.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
Haven't seen Split yet. Do we have an official HitW determination of his worst movie? Because as much shit as The Happening gets, I think it's Lady in the Water. Which I also respect more for being such nonsense.
I agree with the Lady in the Water being the worst one of the bunch. I remember when that 'reveal' happened (that I don't even remember right now) it was as lame as the one where they all just lived in a State Park but even more flimsy and nonsensical.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Split was almost like someone else made it. Very self contained and while I wouldn't call it plausible, it was within the world he created.

90 of the movie was a thriller/drama with just a little bit of "action" at the end, and that was more like a horror movie than anything else.

James McAvoy was simply brilliant.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
I can see why you'd say that, but I came away very satisfied with season 3. I liked that they fucked with you by
the second to the last episode clearly being the 'finale' episode and then there's one episode left that's sort of weird and distant and cold. Seemed to kind of fit for me.
The whole show was built around leaving you unsettled and specifically not giving any satisfactory answers for anything.
If you enjoy extra episodes after what should be the finale, you should check out Goliath season 2.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
If you enjoy extra episodes after what should be the finale, you should check out Goliath season 2.
Well, certainly see it being brought up enough. It's not like I particularly enjoy that tool, but I felt like it was an acceptable 'fuck with the viewer' moment.

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
I think I have noticed certain evil deeds being down-played in the recent commercials given recent news.

LiddyRules

The 9/11 Moon Landings Were An Outside Job
I think I have noticed certain evil deeds being down-played in the recent commercials given recent news.
Glass offering a special place in his comic store exclusively for Russian authors?

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Saw it last night.

Overall, I enjoyed it. It was as reserved as both Unbreakable and Split were in their universe not allowing the level of superhuman attributes we get in actual comic-based franchises. It doesn't expand upon the universe in that way. It's more of a study of each character, although we do get the trademark M. Night twist near the end.

Sadly, it comes at some cost, as the limited budget for both this and the previous film, seen mostly in limited sets, is more noticeable here due to none of the actors being given enough time to really enrapture you as was in the previous films; although Jackson is meant to shine more here. The locations become noticeable as time goes on as a potential cost issue more than chosen for atmosphere alone.

McAvoy still steals a lot of the film with his quick-change acting, but it's not surpassing his previous performance. As you'd expect, there's less due to the shared screentime.

Willis doesn't get to shine much at all, and has the least dialogue in the film of the three. I tend to wonder if there was more on the cutting room floor, or if M. Might never wrote much for him to begin with. This film desn't give him much challenge as an actor other than to see if he fits into that rain poncho.

Jackson is given more the spotlight, but he just doesn't have the presence or forcefulness he has in Unbreakable. Even his voice doesn't have the timbre it did back then. Yes, the plot gives us some possible reason he feels broken down now, but it comes across as the the actor possibly being ill. "Does SJ have cancer???" was what crossed my mind. He just can't deliver in emotion or tone here despite being given a lot of good scenes where he should have floored us like McAvoy.

Paulson, also given a character with more facets, just doesn't give it depth. It's more and more apparent with every larger role she's been given that she just doesn't have the range. She's really quite overrated as an actress.

Willis' kid does a serviceable job at his age since most kid actors lose their ability (he's the original kid form Unbreakable).

However, like before, the girl from Split really wows us; at least with what screentime she's given. You leave wanting more of her.

Well, can see Paulson's dark reveal (member of a secret society killing off supers) coming a long way off due to the way she plays her character, even badly, so that takes a lot of what you perceive as enjoyable along the way, But, and I don't think this intentional from M. Night, it makes you overlook the apparent clues Glass is still in control. If M. Night did give us a red herring by making Paulson overplay her role (again, seen her enough elsewhere to see she's not so great to actually do that perceptively), it's at the actor's cost here. I just don't think he's that good. However, it still did make me overlook those clues that Elijah still had the upper hand despite his machinations being found out.

But, boy, was that ending downbeat. I know that M. Night gave us the supposed birth of his own CU (or leaving us believing there's one), but giving us such defined demises, especially in a world showing us the limitation of superpowers, really does make the main character's deaths seem final when they didn't need to be. You just don't get the impression Glass can be saved, at the very least. Horde seems toast too, and Overseer...yes, "Overseer" is the final name chosen for Willis' character, seems pretty dead as well...although, it was implied his death from water was a fear he could overcome, so that's the one death that doesn't seem so final. Yet, given his age, do we really expect Willis to oversee again? Not likely. This seems fairly final.

I think that was what the negative reviews might be fueled by. Well, that, and the skyscraper tease. That tease accentuates the already poor-looking location/set design I mentioned earlier and seemingly indicative of budget limitations. Here, after we know they won't get to Nakatomi, it seems more cost than being an in-universe lure for Glass to show his hand. Yeah, M. Night gives us a nice look at it later, but it still seems like "5 seconds won't cost too much" more than anything else.

In the end, M. Night gives us a hopeful Glass. One who thinks his death births a new CU, but with no indication that the Split girl, Unbreakable son, or Medea will carry on his legacy in future films. In a sense, it's a nice closure, and I enjoy it for that, but this was not expected as the origin story Elijah reveals it to be. It, to what extent it was, was marketed as a team-up film, and that final twist just doesn't satisfy...not without some after-credit scene showing Willis's finger twitching....

Sorry. We don't get that.

Last edited: