GM halts Chevy Volt production for five weeks

starfsckers inc

Ambitious, but rubbish.
Dec 2, 2009
Pennsyltucky
A $40,000 plug-in hybrid with questionable range and a possible case of spontaneous combustion isn't selling well? Right.

General Motors has told 1,300 employees at its Detroit Hamtramck that they will be temporarily laid off for five weeks as the company halts production of the Chevrolet Volt and its European counterpart, the Opel Ampera.
“Even with sales up in February over January, we are still seeking to align our production with demand,” said GM spokesman Chris Lee.

Lee said employees were told Thursday that production would put on hold from March 19 to April 23.

The Chevrolet Volt, an extended-range electric car, is both a political lightning rod and a symbol of the company’s technological capability.

Chevrolet sold 1,023 Volts in the U.S. in February and has sold 1,626 so far this year.

In 2011, Chevrolet sold 7,671 Volts, but fell short of its initial goal of 10,000.

GM had planned to expand production of its Volt plug-in hybrid to 60,000 this year, with 45,000 earmarked for the U.S.

Last fall, the GM and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration spent several weeks trying to explain why two Volts whose batteries were punctured caught on fire after sitting around for at least a week.

NHTSA determined that the range-extended electric Volt is as safe as any gasoline-powered vehicle on the road.

GM said on Jan. 5 that it would improve the structure and battery-coolant system of the Volt sedan to protect it better against fires after crashes.

The incident also was the subject of a congressional hearing in January that included testimony from GM CEO Dan Akerson.

“We did not design the Volt to become a political punching bag and that’s what it’s become,” Akerson told Congress on Jan. 25.
http://www.freep.com/article/20120302/BUSINESS0101/120302035/Volt-production-on-hold-for-5-weeks

MagicBob

Dec 2, 2010
Should've included one of these then, because that's what I was aiming at.
:action-sm

ahhhhhh... ya see...now that makes a difference. The internet is bad for allowing the reader to read yer mind :D

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005
This commercial really makes sense now.

[yt]avLKiWi71cE[/yt]

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
So a highly taxpayer-subsidized product still isn't meeting set sales figures? Who would have imagined that a government endorsed car would fail. Better give them $50 billion to save all those jobs associated with the Volt.

jagsfans

Dec 26, 2005
Jacksonville FL
Until hybrids come down in price or gas goes to 9.00 a gallon it's gonna continue to be a tough sell. I'm not paying 40 grand for a vehicle that's half the car.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
A little less government-friendly article:

If you thought the $535 million that the American tax payer shelled out for the utter failure that was Solyndra was expensive, you may want to sit down for this one.

Crossing the wires this hour is news that the General Motors corporation will be halting production of the Chevrolet Volt electric car and laying off 1,300 employees.

The company announced that the layoff and production halt will last at least 5 weeks but is not necessarily permanent; however the dreadful sales numbers of the Volt lead some to believe that this may be the first of many nails in the coffin of this heavily subsidized program.

In 2011, the Volt barely reached 75 percent of projected sales. GM had planned to expand production to 60,000 vehicles in 2012 but so far has only sold a little over 1,500.

This bailout and jobs program thinly veiled as some sort of automotive breakthrough has been incredibly expensive. The base model Volt is listed with and MSRP of $31,645 however when considering state and federal government subsidies the cost per vehicle dwarfs the MSRP. With $2.3 billion coming from the federal government alone, total subsidies are well over $3 billion for the program. This makes the cost of each Volt sold well over $200,000.

Once again the Obama Administration has expanded the deficit funding a program that’s only as green as all the money it has burned through.
http://www.freedomworks.org/blog/ph...t…-uh…-we’re-losing-count-low?source=facebook

MagicBob

Dec 2, 2010
So a highly taxpayer-subsidized product still isn't meeting set sales figures? Who would have imagined that a government endorsed car would fail. Better give them $50 billion to save all those jobs associated with the Volt.

oh this is entertaining. This is better than anything on tv. you just cant cast this kind of stupid.

starfsckers inc

Ambitious, but rubbish.
Dec 2, 2009
Pennsyltucky
Until hybrids come down in price or gas goes to 9.00 a gallon it's gonna continue to be a tough sell. I'm not paying 40 grand for a vehicle that's half the car.
Yup, a hybrid like this or a flat-out electric car like the Nissan Leaf is purely a luxury item right now. And the technology isn't justifying the price right now, IMO.

caniseeyourtaint

Passive agressive douche
Feb 26, 2004
Ocean County, NJ
If their 2011 goal was 10,000 cars and they didn't even sell 8,000...what idiot thinks it's a good idea to produce 60,000 this year with the economy being no better?

MagicBob

Dec 2, 2010
Yup, a hybrid like this or a flat-out electric car like the Nissan Leaf is purely a luxury item right now. And the technology isn't justifying the price right now, IMO.

it all comes down to how you drive them. They dont make sense if you want to drive across country... but in some instances they are great. Some say they wont pay $40k for a car just to commute in... but yet thats what a lot of people do... they'll buy some $40k sedan or SUV and then 99% of the time its used driving 20 miles or less to and from work. Granted, there is the possibility of other functionality to them, but its rarely used. Hell, I know lots of people that spend $50k on a truck that they ONLY use to tow a boat, RV, or horse trailer around with. So it kinda comes down to whats important to you.

The technology is RAPIDLY changing. Without the know how and experience gained in these early models the next step will not be possible.

Whats funny is that the Volt has gotten caught up in the conservatard cross hairs... for no REAL reason. Its design was started long before the loans given by republican and democratic administrations and the policies that stipulate the rebates and such were in place when it was first conceived. The government has offered tax breaks and incentives on "green" vehicles for a long time... its just now that there is a democrat in the white house that its a problem with republicans.

its funny... there is this whole... "supporting innovation BAD!!!" trend now... lets not look forward, lets just rely on the technology we have, just drill for more oil and everything will be ok... just dont look forward, that requires thought and planning and thats HARD so lets just not do it. Contrast that with the thinking of the 50's and 60's when EVERYTHING was looking to the future. Cars, appliances, advertising, government funding of research... everything was futuristic... and its when some of the most amazing innovations came to be, things that we use every day now.... I wonder what will come from this time in history? From the looks of it, not much.

MagicBob

Dec 2, 2010
Shit, can't argue with that logical and well thought-out point.
sorry... just had to jab at ya. ;D Hell, its better thought out than most of the stuff posted here.

Turfmower

Jan 17, 2005
Jersey
But GM killed off the 4.5 liter duramax diesel no one need a truck that gets 28 mpg. Lets keep the 15 MPG trucks fuck the small buisnesses that need truck and make all Truck EVIL!!!!!!! I HATE THIS FUCKING ASS HOLE WE HAVE AS PRESIDENT. ELECTRIC CARS WILL GET ALL THE FAGOT LIBERALS TO VOTE FOE YOU AND YOU WONT KILL THE POLAR BEARS, FUCK THE POLAR BEARS i just put 125 $$$$$ of gas in my truck and it didnt even fill the tank

Atomic Fireball

Donator
Jul 26, 2005
But the Planning Committee assures us that twice as many Volts will be produced and sold during the next Five Year Plan, thanks to the efforts of the heroic workers

starfsckers inc

Ambitious, but rubbish.
Dec 2, 2009
Pennsyltucky
it all comes down to how you drive them. They dont make sense if you want to drive across country... but in some instances they are great. Some say they wont pay $40k for a car just to commute in... but yet thats what a lot of people do... they'll buy some $40k sedan or SUV and then 99% of the time its used driving 20 miles or less to and from work. Granted, there is the possibility of other functionality to them, but its rarely used. Hell, I know lots of people that spend $50k on a truck that they ONLY use to tow a boat, RV, or horse trailer around with. So it kinda comes down to whats important to you.

The technology is RAPIDLY changing. Without the know how and experience gained in these early models the next step will not be possible.
I'm sure the Volt would work for someone commuting short distances to and from work and into town to run errands and things. But I don't think it's $40K worth it right now. Neither with the Leaf.

They're great leaps forward in automotive technology, but the price is astronomical for a rather limited range on the alternate fuel source as opposed to an ICE. I don't know how these things will hold up over time, either. If I'm forking over $40K for something that runs on an electric motor and batteries, I wanna make damn sure they're gonna last 5 or 10 years down the road. Not to mention limited charging stations on the road as opposed to gas stations (Volt can still use gas, though).

It will be a big feat if they can extend the range on these things and make it as seamless to operate as a normal car. And there are manufacturers that are frivolously working on this today.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
No reasonable person would buy a Volt when the Nissan Leaf & plug in Prius are well over $10k less

DJ Evel Ed

MayYourCumCrustedCocksBeConstantlyCoveredInCunt
Nov 30, 2003
Up your ass!
I test drove the Volt and I absolutely loved it. It had great pickup. It suits my needs for short drives and if I need to go to Atlantic City for a long trip, the gas tank will kick in. The Nissan Leaf can't do that.

I was waiting for the next generation model after the bugs are fixed but I guess I waited too long. I hope this shutdown doesnt last long.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
GE “Forcing” Employees Into Chevy Volts

why are they shutting down when GE is going to mandate employees buying them?
link
General Motors and General Electric are two companies that have been in the political crosshairs lately. GM stands accused of “crony capitalism,” while GE is under fire for paying no Federal income taxes in 2010. The two companies share more than that though, with GE placing an order for 12,000 Chevy Volts and other hybrid vehicles.
A memo leaked to Green Car Reports lays out GE’s plans for their new fleet of Volts, and as expected, it has some people crying foul.
The memo, sent to employees of GE Healthcare Americas team explains that all sedan, crossover, and minivan purchases in 2012 will be replaced by the Chevy Volt. Only field engineers are exempt from having to drive a company Volt.
GE will offer estimates for installation Level 2 Charging Stations, though all-gas use will be allowed when there is no electric option. Any employees who opt out of the Volt program will not be compensated for their expenses. Those who do choose to drive the Volt will be reimbursed for public charging and home charging costs, in addition to gas uses.
While some people are probably put off by having to drive a Volt, GE claims to have crunched the numbers and believes that in the long term, this will save the multi-national company big bucks. More than that though, GE is positioning itself as a big player in the EV charging market. Getting employees into Volts also means getting charging stations into homes.
It’s a bold move to be sure, and it will hopefully prove to be a boon to the Volt’s flagging sales numbers. GM had hoped to sell as many as 60,000 Volts in 2012, before dropping that number to 45,000. Will they even make that number though? Hard to tell, though GE’s business will go a long way towards giving the Volt some sales momentum.
Source: Gas 2.0 (http://s.tt/15LON)

Aug 5, 2004

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
If their 2011 goal was 10,000 cars and they didn't even sell 8,000...what idiot thinks it's a good idea to produce 60,000 this year with the economy being no better?
The idiot that the government was paying to make them, duh!