OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

GM halts Chevy Volt production for five weeks

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by starfsckers inc, Mar 2, 2012.

1. starfsckers inc

starfsckers inc Ambitious, but rubbish.

A $40,000 plug-in hybrid with questionable range and a possible case of spontaneous combustion isn't selling well? Right.

http://www.freep.com/article/20120302/BUSINESS0101/120302035/Volt-production-on-hold-for-5-weeks

2. MagicBob

MagicBob Registered User

really? Wow.

just amazing what partisan wonks will buy into.

3. starfsckers inc

Should've included one of these then, because that's what I was aiming at.
    :action-sm

4. MagicBob

MagicBob Registered User

ahhhhhh... ya see...now that makes a difference. The internet is bad for allowing the reader to read yer mind :D

5. Chino Kapone

Chino Kapone Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?

This commercial really makes sense now.

6. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

So a highly taxpayer-subsidized product still isn't meeting set sales figures? Who would have imagined that a government endorsed car would fail. Better give them $50 billion to save all those jobs associated with the Volt.

7. jagsfans

jagsfans Registered User

Until hybrids come down in price or gas goes to 9.00 a gallon it's gonna continue to be a tough sell. I'm not paying 40 grand for a vehicle that's half the car.

8. Josh_R

Josh_R Registered User

A little less government-friendly article:

http://www.freedomworks.org/blog/ph...t…-uh…-we’re-losing-count-low?source=facebook

9. MagicBob

MagicBob Registered User

oh this is entertaining. This is better than anything on tv. you just cant cast this kind of stupid.

10. MagicBob

MagicBob Registered User

double post.

11. MagicBob

MagicBob Registered User

12. starfsckers inc

Yup, a hybrid like this or a flat-out electric car like the Nissan Leaf is purely a luxury item right now. And the technology isn't justifying the price right now, IMO.

13. caniseeyourtaint

caniseeyourtaint Passive agressive douche

If their 2011 goal was 10,000 cars and they didn't even sell 8,000...what idiot thinks it's a good idea to produce 60,000 this year with the economy being no better?

14. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

Shit, can't argue with that logical and well thought-out point.

15. MagicBob

MagicBob Registered User

it all comes down to how you drive them. They dont make sense if you want to drive across country... but in some instances they are great. Some say they wont pay $40k for a car just to commute in... but yet thats what a lot of people do... they'll buy some $40k sedan or SUV and then 99% of the time its used driving 20 miles or less to and from work. Granted, there is the possibility of other functionality to them, but its rarely used. Hell, I know lots of people that spend $50k on a truck that they ONLY use to tow a boat, RV, or horse trailer around with. So it kinda comes down to whats important to you.

The technology is RAPIDLY changing. Without the know how and experience gained in these early models the next step will not be possible.

Whats funny is that the Volt has gotten caught up in the conservatard cross hairs... for no REAL reason. Its design was started long before the loans given by republican and democratic administrations and the policies that stipulate the rebates and such were in place when it was first conceived. The government has offered tax breaks and incentives on "green" vehicles for a long time... its just now that there is a democrat in the white house that its a problem with republicans.

its funny... there is this whole... "supporting innovation BAD!!!" trend now... lets not look forward, lets just rely on the technology we have, just drill for more oil and everything will be ok... just dont look forward, that requires thought and planning and thats HARD so lets just not do it. Contrast that with the thinking of the 50's and 60's when EVERYTHING was looking to the future. Cars, appliances, advertising, government funding of research... everything was futuristic... and its when some of the most amazing innovations came to be, things that we use every day now.... I wonder what will come from this time in history? From the looks of it, not much.

16. MagicBob

MagicBob Registered User

sorry... just had to jab at ya. ;D Hell, its better thought out than most of the stuff posted here.

17. Turfmower

Turfmower Registered User

But GM killed off the 4.5 liter duramax diesel no one need a truck that gets 28 mpg. Lets keep the 15 MPG trucks fuck the small buisnesses that need truck and make all Truck EVIL!!!!!!! I HATE THIS FUCKING ASS HOLE WE HAVE AS PRESIDENT. ELECTRIC CARS WILL GET ALL THE FAGOT LIBERALS TO VOTE FOE YOU AND YOU WONT KILL THE POLAR BEARS, FUCK THE POLAR BEARS i just put 125 $$$$$ of gas in my truck and it didnt even fill the tank

18. Atomic Fireball

Atomic Fireball Well-Known Member
    Donator

But the Planning Committee assures us that twice as many Volts will be produced and sold during the next Five Year Plan, thanks to the efforts of the heroic workers

19. starfsckers inc

I'm sure the Volt would work for someone commuting short distances to and from work and into town to run errands and things. But I don't think it's $40K worth it right now. Neither with the Leaf.

They're great leaps forward in automotive technology, but the price is astronomical for a rather limited range on the alternate fuel source as opposed to an ICE. I don't know how these things will hold up over time, either. If I'm forking over $40K for something that runs on an electric motor and batteries, I wanna make damn sure they're gonna last 5 or 10 years down the road. Not to mention limited charging stations on the road as opposed to gas stations (Volt can still use gas, though).

It will be a big feat if they can extend the range on these things and make it as seamless to operate as a normal car. And there are manufacturers that are frivolously working on this today.

20. CousinDave

CousinDave Registered User

No reasonable person would buy a Volt when the Nissan Leaf & plug in Prius are well over $10k less

21. DJ Evel Ed

DJ Evel Ed MayYourCumCrustedCocksBeConstantlyCoveredInCunt

I test drove the Volt and I absolutely loved it. It had great pickup. It suits my needs for short drives and if I need to go to Atlantic City for a long trip, the gas tank will kick in. The Nissan Leaf can't do that.

I was waiting for the next generation model after the bugs are fixed but I guess I waited too long. I hope this shutdown doesnt last long.

22. weeniewawa

weeniewawa it's a man, baby!!!

GE “Forcing” Employees Into Chevy Volts

why are they shutting down when GE is going to mandate employees buying them?
    link

23. CM Mark

CM Mark The East is Ours!

Fenrir! Post something!

24. frankjg

frankjg doG

25. Josh_R

Josh_R Registered User

The idiot that the government was paying to make them, duh!