GM to build 2013 Cadillac XTS in China this year

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
Just think of all those jobs China would have lost if the US tax payer didn't give GM billions.

April 23, 2012 at 1:00 am
By Melissa Burden

The Detroit News

General Motors Co. announced Monday at the Beijing auto show that it will begin building its all-new 2013 Cadillac XTS sedan in China this year and later will build the ELR luxury electric coupe in the country.

The production announcements mark a significant step in GM's push for Cadillac to become a global brand.

"Introducing the XTS is part of our strategy of adding one new model per year to our Cadillac lineup in China through 2016 to address the needs of luxury car buyers nationwide," GM Chairman and CEO Dan Akerson said in a statement.

ELR technology details, production location and its Chinese introduction date will be announced at a later time, according to a news release. The XTS will be available in the fourth quarter in China and will be manufactured by Shanghai General Motors, a partnership between GM and SAIC Motor Corp.

The announcement follows a report earlier this month in The Detroit News that GM was expected to announce at the auto show that it would build XTS in China later this year. Joel Ewanick, GM's global chief marketing officer, also told The News that the all-new Cadillac ATS, a compact luxury sedan, and the popular midsize CTS sedan will eventually be built in China.

Ewanick said GM will build its brand in China and then Europe to grow the brand over the next decade.
Currently, only the Cadillac SLS, an extended length luxury sedan, is built in China. Cadillac imports the CTS, SRX crossover and Escalade from plants in the United States and Mexico.
GM began selling Cadillacs in China in 2004. Sales have grown from essentially zero at the end of 2007 and early 2008 to 30,000 last year. Its 2011 sales were up 72.8 percent from 2010.
Cadillac also expects to double its dealer network of about 50 in China in the next year or two, Cadillac spokesman David Caldwell previously has told The News.

Psychopath

I want to fuck your girlfriend.
Dec 28, 2008
Constant sate of misery
he rich with insider knowledge are moving to those places, like James Cameron. The globalists that will set up the new government with a new constitution will set up the new capital in Colorado after the next major war is over.

He mostly talks about a war with China. Some place in Utah is the best because its very far from all cities and all the refugees that are looking for food and shelter would never be able to make the trek to this place.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
I am glad our tax dollars which are actually monies borrowed from the chinks are going back over there to make cars

maybe chrysler can do something like this too

my last GM is a 64 GMC pickup in my driveway

never again do I buy one

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
Sounds like they're building cars in China to *gasp* sell in China. Can't say I blame them, either.

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
Sounds like they're building cars in China to *gasp* sell in China. Can't say I blame them, either.
I don't either, its the American people that are idiots for supporting politicians that hand out trillions to banks and corporations and then complain when those same politicians want to raise their taxes to pay for the corporate welfare. I can't blame Buffett either for trying to get taxes raised so he can get more in corporate bailouts.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
What the hell is a cadirac?

Token White Guy

Continuously Jaded
Oct 25, 2009
LA... Lower Alabama
Ford in China out classes the home grown Chinese auto makers. It has gotten so bad that China has limited and pretty much stopped the sale of foreign cars there. It's not our fault that China makes shitty cars.

MagicBob

Dec 2, 2010
not seeing the problem with this... most global auto makers have plants in the countries where their big markets are.

hopefully GM will sell the hell out of Caddies in China. Sell the cars there, bring the profits here.

phillyfranko

Jun 1, 2010
south of philly
Tons of F U money in China now...and they love the caddys...keep my GM Pension checks coming...Thank you...

MagicBob

Dec 2, 2010
story did mention the SLS for the chinese market it built in china, it didnt mention that its been built there since 2006.... so meh... nothing new and in reality its a good move.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Eh, gotta get that $53/share somehow. Not gonna do it by opening factories in Detroit and selling more of their soul to the unions.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Well a lot of the bits of that car are made in China anyway... wonder if the bits that were made in the US will continue to be made in the US.

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
Kia and Nissan make cars here in America. It's all the same.

Dikbag

Dec 11, 2004
NW Ohio
I can't stand the buy American people. It's like they have no idea there's a lot more it than where it was assembled. I drive a jap truck built in Canada and according to that link it's more American than most "American trucks"

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
I can't stand the buy American people. It's like they have no idea there's a lot more it than where it was assembled. I drive a jap truck built in Canada and according to that link it's more American than most "American trucks"
Yep my Jap truck was assembled in Mississippi (50% of the parts are made in the US)... was going to get an F150 but the sales guy I dealt with at the local dealer was a douche.

Made in America: How Much of Your Car was Made in America.

Oh and the Cadillac SRX only had 21% made in the US.

Dikbag

Dec 11, 2004
NW Ohio
Yep my Jap truck was assembled in Mississippi (50% of the parts are made in the US)... was going to get an F150 but the sales guy I dealt with at the local dealer was a douche.

Made in America: How Much of Your Car was Made in America.

Oh and the Cadillac SRX only had 21% made in the US.
I've seen this before, and thought it was what you posted earlier. According to that link The Toyota Tundra is the most American truck you can buy at 80% domestic. My Ridgeline comes in at 75% but mine is an 08 and made in Canada, they moved it to Alabama for 09. The big 3 trucks are all about 60%

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Ya my buddy sources tooling for the automotive industry... says he can get 2 or 3 molds done there for the cost of having one done here. Even with the quality difference... if one craps out you have two spares.

He went to some tooling factory (really a campus) in central China that employed like 5,000 nine irons. Each one of them was designated to do one task and one task only. Their CAD room had like 200 guys in it designing molds and shit.