[Question] Gmail two step authentication

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
So I turned on the 2 step authentication for my Gmail account to beef up security. I like the idea of it, but ever since I set it up, Gmail won't work with any of my devices besides my phone. It won't work with the Mail app on my MacBook, iPad or Nook. How can I fix this besides turning off this extra layer of security?

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Maybe just turn off the 2 step authentication and beef up your password. That works for my security needs.

GrammatonCleric

Nov 19, 2008
You
So I turned on the 2 step authentication for my Gmail account to beef up security. I like the idea of it, but ever since I set it up, Gmail won't work with any of my devices besides my phone. It won't work with the Mail app on my MacBook, iPad or Nook. How can I fix this besides turning off this extra layer of security?
With 2 step verification you need to manage allowed devices and use the one time password that you generate on that device. You should also name your devices. This gives you the ability to kill gmail on a device remotely if it gets lost.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Go here ->https://www.google.com/settings/security
Then click on Settings under 2-Step Verification
From there click on Manage Application-Specific Passwords
From here, scroll all the way down to the bottom where you can Generate New Application-Specific Password.
-you have to give whatever application you need a password a name and click generate which makes a specific password for that application. You only have to do it once but whenever you clear your cache or cookies on your computer or phone you have to do it all over again. It's kind of a pain in the ass but I have gotten use to it. Also, try and download Google Authenticator for Droid. I don't know if they have it for ios. That will save you from doing this shit all of the time and generate codes on the fly.