OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

God damn it, apple makes decent computers

Discussion in 'Wackbag Tech Support' started by Mikefrombx, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Mikefrombx

Mikefrombx Registered User

My wife has been using a shitty Acer netbook for like three years. Her job is upgrading all rooms with Promethean boards that don't function well with the netbook, so we went and look for an ultraportable that was fast and would run for a while. After looking at eveyrhing available in 4 stores (bestbuy, microcenter, and j and r, and some other place downtown) she settled on the base model 13 in air.
    It is a nice machine. I hate that I like it so much because that means that I will probably buy the updated 13 in pro in September, then go and get the time machine and all that bullshit.
    My job is in the process of going all Mac, I have a MacBook from 2009 that I am afraid to use expect iTunes for the work ipad. But this is convincing me to go Mac. Shit.

2. fletcher

fletcher Darkness always says hello.
    Donator

Im using a 09 MBP, why are you afraid of using a Mac for something other than iTunes?

3. Mikefrombx

Mikefrombx Registered User

It is a computer from work that will have to go back to them eventually so I don't want to move my personal shit their to have to bring it back. I would rather have my own before I make the Mac my primary computer.

4. phillyfranko

phillyfranko Registered User

I have heard nothing but good things about the mac book pro and macs in general...I am a very creative person and heard macs are the way to go...a little pricey...but worth it in the long run. I have a HP special edition that will be 4 years old in June...love it...but going to look at macs etc soon...battery is not holding a charge,,,may put new battery in and jjust use for music/DJ gigs i do...

5. stellarcomics

stellarcomics Registered User

Love my macbook pro. I take it with me to client meetings; I can work with my graphics software without a problem. I wish they made a 4g internal card for it; then it would be perfect.

6. weeniewawa

weeniewawa it's a man, baby!!!

my main comp is a 2006 Mac Pro and has been great

all the Apple computers I have ever owned have worked for years.

7. Creasy Bear

Creasy Bear gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
    Donator

11" MacBook Air. Had it for like a year now and it just works PERIOD

No fucking around, no virus bullshit, no locking up, no rebooting... none of the shit I was constantly fucking with on PC computer for hours, days, months of my fucking life.

I dropped the fucker and it shattered the glass on the trackpad... Mac wanted $300+ to fix it. I found the part online, ordered it and the special torx screwdriver to open the case... bingo bango fixed it perfectly myself in less than twenty minutes for under a hundred bucks.

Macs just work.

8. lajikal

lajikal Registered User

Watch out! Windows fanboys will start crying that apple is the mannn... Meanwhile, they were crying the samething about microsoft years ago.

9. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

Macs are great if you need training wheels on your computer. When you're ready to graduate and come ride with the big boys we will be here with some recommendations :trollol:

10. Yesterdays Hero

Yesterdays Hero She's better than you, Smirkalicious.

My windows PC has been known to be a cunt from time to time. And there's still a ghost in the machine that randomly gives BSoD, as well as lock ups.

Redhead's almost 4 year old Macbook Pro has not had one problem, ever. Runs better than mine.

Now if Games would come out for Mac like they do for Windows (looking at you ToR) then I'd consider saying fuck it and go get one myself. Much as I loathe Apple overall, those slanteyes in Huang Province can put together a decent rig.

11. Warfarer

Warfarer I can't think of anything funny.

It is tough to beat a 17" Macbook pro that legitimately gets 6 to 7 hours of battery life. I love it but if I had it to do over, i would go with another 15" instead of the 17.

12. Chino Kapone

Chino Kapone Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?

My 21" iMac is amazing. Have had 0 problems since day 1. Only 1 chord to plug it in. Everything else is wireless. It's a great computer.

13. Sinn Fein

Sinn Fein Infidel and White Interloper
    Wackbag Staff

I recall that is what the hipster Apple fanboys did as a hobby..

A 17" laptop is a beast to lug around. Apple does have some really nice hardware. But, I just can't justify the price difference.

14. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

For all of these reasons I'm looking at the Alienware line very closely. Basically, they're built to be fucking abused, so the normal little socket issues and shit don't seem to happen.

And before the haters speak up, my wife bought one a month ago so I'm giving it my own shot. I really don't care how over-priced or gimmicky you think they are, because trust me, this thing is a fucking beast.

15. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

Alienware is owned by Dell now, so keep that in mind. They're probably still good computers, but Dell's customer service is fucking terrible. I bought a Studio 17 laptop in late 2009 (the computer works great) and had it custom made and was given a delivery date of 3 weeks. It took those fuckers 56 days to get that computer to me, and they could never tell me exactly what the problem was on one of my many phone calls.

16. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

Sure, but what computer company has good service these days? I'm my own tech support, I don't buy service plans, so that weighs in none. I want a bad ass 4X4 truck in a computer. I want it to do the job, not break down, and be simple enough for me to fix it on the side of the road. Leather seats and satellite radio are nice, too.

17. Bobobie

Bobobie Registered User

My old Asus Netbook running XP has worked without a problem for three years. I've dropped it on concrete and asphalt several times too.

18. Sinn Fein

Sinn Fein Infidel and White Interloper
    Wackbag Staff

I'm a professional IT guy and generally am the same way. For a laptop though, things can get messy/expensive real quick. I just bought a 3-year Care Pack for my new HP laptop. I got a great deal on it, so I feel even better about doing it.