God Damn it I think i'm starting to like...

MJ001

...Larry the fucking Cable Guy.

I knew he was Ronnie's boy and I still couldn't bring myself to stomach him.

The boys seemed to like him when they had him on a while back and I still hated him.

He called in today and at the beginning of the phone call I was going to go to the 7-11 for smokes, but I decided to wait until the show was over in case the interview was short and I ended up actually liking the guy after hearing him actually talk without trying to be funny.

O&A (and especially Jimmy on this one) obviously do a great job of letting comedians just be themselves and not have to go into their bits, and they once again have turned someone I loathed into someone I kind of like.

I still don't really like his brand of humor (the redneck thing really does make me nervous being one of them non-whites), but I no longer think he's a hack asshole.

Great interview gentleman.

niklbag

Hooked on chronic worked for me!!!!!
every year his psuedo hick schtick gets more and more exagerated to the point that i can barely understand what hes saying anymore just not my cup of tea

pnigga

hold my hand, dane
what the fuck not-boring-half-asleep-redneck comic did you hear today

MJ001

As I had said in my original post, it's not his comedy that I like, because I still despise that brand of humor.

Yeah he had the exaggerated accent on today like he does in his act, but the actual words coming out of his mouth were actually pretty different than what I had previously thought of him.

Everything he talked about this society becoming more and more mentally retarded was dead on and all I said was that I've never heard him talk intelligently (take the accent out and just hear the words) about anything so I enjoyed the interview.

Burger

Fuck ALL Forms of Censorship
...Larry the fucking Cable Guy.

I knew he was Ronnie's boy and I still couldn't bring myself to stomach him.

The boys seemed to like him when they had him on a while back and I still hated him.

He called in today and at the beginning of the phone call I was going to go to the 7-11 for smokes, but I decided to wait until the show was over in case the interview was short and I ended up actually liking the guy after hearing him actually talk without trying to be funny.

O&A (and especially Jimmy on this one) obviously do a great job of letting comedians just be themselves and not have to go into their bits, and they once again have turned someone I loathed into someone I kind of like.

I still don't really like his brand of humor (the redneck thing really does make me nervous being one of them non-whites), but I no longer think he's a hack asshole.

Great interview gentleman.
Are you serious? The interview wasn't terrible (b/c the boys saved it) but Larry the Cable guy himself was awful. "An interview show like 60 Minutes for married couples called '60 Seconds'"?

The ping pong Op played was great....the only thing that made the interview tolerable.

MJ001

One stupid ass comment (which I agree made me cringe a bit) didn't take away from the overall discussion.

I will say this one more time.

This thread has NOTHING to do with his comedy. I still believe him to be an unfunny comic who I do not like.

All I said was that the boys did an interview with someone who I despised and I ended up agreeing with him on a lot of his points.

This has nothing to do with whether you or I find him funny, it was about the interview with the actual person that I enjoyed.

Burger

Fuck ALL Forms of Censorship
One stupid ass comment (which I agree made me cringe a bit) didn't take away from the overall discussion.

I will say this one more time.

This thread has NOTHING to do with his comedy. I still believe him to be an unfunny comic who I do not like.

All I said was that the boys did an interview with someone who I despised and I ended up agreeing with him on a lot of his points.

This has nothing to do with whether you or I find him funny, it was about the interview with the actual person that I enjoyed.
OK, his comments on society and freedom of speech weren't bad, but those comments aren't anything original. Nearly every comic in the world could have said and agreed with those comments.

Also, I haven't heard the ping pong bit in awhile - I think the boys thought the interview was bombing for them to break that out - espeically on such a "popular" guest.

MJ001

Also, I haven't heard the ping pong bit in awhile - I think the boys thought the interview was bombing for them to break that out - espeically on such a "popular" guest.

Which is exaclty what my point was. I was crediting the boys with making interesting radio with a gentleman I had previsouly despised without making it trainwreck radio or using the ping-pong drops.

Kurto2021

Certified Pest
He's actually funny on O&A.

Everywhere else, I want to bash his head in with a fucking hammer.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Wait, you live in Detroit and you aren't white? Shocking.

belmont

and then what happened
i loffed at his cheese nips joke.

Dr.Knockboots

I'm the looks of this operation
I'm new to this board and I know my opinion doesn't matter, but I've always liked him. I listen to him for what he's trying to be, and he's good at it. He tries to pull off the redneck comedian role, and he does it.

I've been a huge comedy fan dating back to A&E's Evening at the Improv (mid 80's perhaps).. and I've come to appreciate comedians for what they do, not what I want them to do.

Kurto2021

Certified Pest
I'm new to this board and I know my opinion doesn't matter, but I've always liked him. I listen to him for what he's trying to be, and he's good at it. He tries to pull off the redneck comedian role, and he does it.

I've been a huge comedy fan dating back to A&E's Evening at the Improv (mid 80's perhaps).. and I've come to appreciate comedians for what they do, not what I want them to do.
I have to agree 100%..your opinion doesn't matter:icon_bigg

seeinred

White Death
Wait, you live in Detroit and you aren't white? Shocking.
You can never be too sure. Most people from Southeastern Lower Michigan say they're from Detroit just to approximate it for out-of-staters.

Shinebox

I don't mind him funny at all. If he had the same interview on Hoo Hoo today everyone would be bashing him.

PALLY

he's alright..makes me laugh sometimes...

Lillibaby

AFRO's Littlest Baby...
yeah i saw him on jay leno and at first, i wasn't sure i would like him at all. but he's actually funny! not the kind of watered down hick humor you would expect from a jeff foxworthy.

WhiteHonkyDevil

El hombre de los moleculos!
You can never be too sure. Most people from Southeastern Lower Michigan say they're from Detroit just to approximate it for out-of-staters.
Unless, of course, they're the rednecks that are proud to say they're from "downriver'.

Larry the Cable guy always seems a decent enough guy in interviews, though. Why does it matter that he's a different person on stage? I'm sure there are plenty of standups who act a different role on stage.

Even if I've ever cracked a smile at a thing he's said, Larry is awful.

Tryaluckystrike

Guess I'm "doesn't get the bit guy" today: Can somebody explain the significance of the ping pong sounds in the background (does it represent Larry going back and forth without a point, or is it something more obvious?)

Top Bottom