NETFLIX God Damn It, Netflix - The Netflix Originals Thread

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Figured might as well @Jacuzzi Billy @HandPanzer

Saw a new Netflix original movie popped up today. Anon - directed and written by Andrew Nicchol (In Time) and starring Clive Owen and Amanda Seyfried. That I knew zero about this movie existing until five minutes ago should say everything we need to know. Is it sci fi? Fuck yes it is.

Sal Frieland (Owen) is a detective in a world with no privacy, ignorance, or anonymity; where everyone's lives are transparent, traceable, and recorded by the authorities; where crime almost ceases to exist. But in trying to solve a series of unsolved murders, Frieland stumbles on a young woman known only as the Girl (Seyfried). She has no identity, no history and is invisible to the cops. Sal realizes this may not be the end of crime, but the beginning.
And the reviews? Well it's currently at 40%.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/anon/

The beginning of crime? Crime began with the third person on Earth.

HandPanzer

O Tempora O Mores!
May 30, 2013
You know a movie's going to be great when your lead actors can't even pretend to look interested while doing their poster pose.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
You know a movie's going to be great when your lead actors can't even pretend to look interested while doing their poster pose.
According to the Hollywood Reporter

"Clive Owen looks glum and bored for most of Anon, and many movie fans will empathize. "

Also according to the Hollywood Reporter

"A recurring shot of Seyfried's naked breasts "

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle

"Clive Owen looks glum and bored for most of Anon, and many movie fans will empathize. "

You have to hand it to Netflix, they know where to spend the money.

HandPanzer

O Tempora O Mores!
May 30, 2013

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle

It was....fine. Not great, not terrible. Definitely not an action flick, which the description made it sound like. Not as cerebral as it wanted to be.

Some interesting concepts, often poorly executed. Some great tits, some serviceable tits.

I'd give it a 6/10. Probably not worth the effort. Just skip to the nude scenes.

DiggerNick

Donator
Oct 9, 2012
Your sister's underwear drawer
When doesn't he? He's at Bruce Willis levels of indifference at this point, with all the mid-budget European-funded crap he's been starring in.

BMW needs to do another season of THE HIRE.

Discoman

Donator
Feb 21, 2010
New York
I guess Netflix is around to prove that all those somewhat decent middle of the road directors were all just shit anyway.

If "The Man Who Killed Don Quixote" is shit, can we expand this thread to cover Amazon too?

MilkmanDan

Uncontrollable Urge
Jan 13, 2003
Philly
Netflix - Comcast please take us and support us, we're over our head. Comcast/NBC/Universal " Sure.. "

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Bright 2: Bright Harder

“Beauty and the Beast” scribe Evan Spiliotopoulos has been tapped to pen the sequel to Netflix’s action fantasy feature “Bright” – replacing original scribe Max Landis.

Will Smith and Joel Edgerton are expected to reprise their roles as Daryl Ward and Nick Jakoby in the film which also sees the return of director David Ayer. Landis and Ayer have reportedly parted ways over creative differences.

“Bright” premiered on the streaming service on December 22nd and became the highest-viewed Netflix film ever in its first week of release – and one of the biggest originals (including sequels/additional seasons) Netflix has ever launched.

Set in an alternate present-day, the original followed a human and Orc cop who embark on a routine patrol night that will ultimately alter the future as their world knows it.

HandPanzer

O Tempora O Mores!
May 30, 2013
Bright 2: Bright Harder
Landis, and I can't believe I'm saying this, was not the problem. Of course, a startling number of vocal audience members on rottentomatoes would contend that there was no problem, but I have no qualms getting my Principal Skinner on and saying I'm right and everyone else is wrong.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Landis, and I can't believe I'm saying this, was not the problem. Of course, a startling number of vocal audience members on rottentomatoes would contend that there was no problem, but I have no qualms getting my Principal Skinner on and saying I'm right and everyone else is wrong.
I still blame Ayer. I think Landis wanted something stupid and light, but it's Ayer who saw it and realized how really real it was #ToTheStreets.

That being said, maybe a writer writing with Ayers' vision in mind might do better because there wouldn't be such a dichotomy.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005

HandPanzer

O Tempora O Mores!
May 30, 2013
I know it's going to be terrible, but after Colossal I'm going to check it out for Sudeikis.