NETFLIX God Damn It, Netflix - The Netflix Originals Thread

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
Self reply: It's Soldier. Just found something that said in 90 or so minutes, he spoke a total of 104 words. Clearly his best work.
That's the one where he and the autistic kid bond over their autism on the garbage planet, right?

There's also some fighting and stuff.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
That's the one where he and the autistic kid bond over their autism on the garbage planet, right?

There's also some fighting and stuff.
I can't even remember. When I watched it the first time, I thought that he only had one line of dialogue and that point stuck with me so much that I don't remember anything else about the movie.
But that was a pretty rough time for movies in general. We were getting a little weird in the late nineties.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot in the Galaxy
I can't even remember. When I watched it the first time, I thought that he only had one line of dialogue and that point stuck with me so much that I don't remember anything else about the movie.
But that was a pretty rough time for movies in general. We were getting a little weird in the late nineties.
Action movies especially. Up until The Matrix, they were barely straight to video quality.

Look at the Box Office Mojo Yearly totals from 1995 to 1999. Those were some strange years; adult dramas regularly placed in the top 10. Ace Ventura 2 was the fifth highest grossing movie of 1995. That's Ace Ventura 2. It beat Goldeneye and Jumanji. Casper beat Seven and Die Hard with a Vengeance. And all of those movies were in the top 10. (#1 Toy Story, #2 Batman Forever, #3 Apollo 13.) The eighth highest grossing movie of 1997 was actually Star Wars.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
Action movies especially. Up until The Matrix, they were barely straight to video quality.

Look at the Box Office Mojo Yearly totals from 1995 to 1999. Those were some strange years; adult dramas regularly placed in the top 10. Ace Ventura 2 was the fifth highest grossing movie of 1995. That's Ace Ventura 2. It beat Goldeneye and Jumanji. Casper beat Seven and Die Hard with a Vengeance. And all of those movies were in the top 10. (#1 Toy Story, #2 Batman Forever, #3 Apollo 13.) The eighth highest grossing movie of 1997 was actually Star Wars.
God what a weird time. There was just no way of knowing what would be successful or not and we also started becoming more meta, like the Scream movies. Movies started becoming more derivative but also just weirder. For as bad as they are, the terrible Batman movies are actually pretty decent representation of the kind of movie that was coming out, DTV or otherwise.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
God what a weird time. There was just no way of knowing what would be successful or not and we also started becoming more meta, like the Scream movies. Movies started becoming more derivative but also just weirder. For as bad as they are, the terrible Batman movies are actually pretty decent representation of the kind of movie that was coming out, DTV or otherwise.
Twister was a phenomenon. Think about that.

LiddyRules

Twister was a phenomenon. Think about that.
Remember the fucking cow, bro?!? It was like wizzah!!!

It was also a period where CGI was readily available but not yet particularly good. So you can see the transition from practical effects and stunts but the replacement was still about five years away.

Watch the end of Air Force One. Jump to 3 minutes.

BIV

It was also a period where CGI was readily available but not yet particularly good. So you can see the transition from practical effects and stunts but the replacement was still about five years away.

Oof.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator

Oh god, that's right. There are a bunch of supposed high-effect movies from that time that just look terrible now. Just terrible. Not to make this a SW thing, but Phantom Menace didn't even get out of that era with effects that 100% hold up.

BIV

Oh god, that's right. There are a bunch of supposed high-effect movies from that time that just look terrible now. Just terrible. Not to make this a SW thing, but Phantom Menace didn't even get out of that era with effects that 100% hold up.
I keep expecting a remaster of the prequels. Though the ep. 3 effects are pretty solid.

LiddyRules

TPM is surprisingly good for that era, but once you start paying attention to Jar Jar's movements, you notice limitations.

BIV

TPM is surprisingly good for that era, but once you start paying attention to Jar Jar's movements, you notice limitations.
It's been a while, But I remember the "digital matte paintings" being fairly deplorable.

And in TLJ they brought back the puppet, which looked like CGI.

"The ciiiiiiiirrrrrle of life!!!!"