NETFLIX God Damn It, Netflix - The Netflix Originals Thread

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Meh. About 2/3 through, feels like I've seen this movie before. Feels like a mashup of The Happening, Netflix's own Spectral, and A Quiet Place. Very derivative, reheated bullshit. Didn't hate it, but felt like I'd seen it before.

I watched the Black Mirror “choose your own adventure” movie.

It was loads of fun until...

God dammit, Netflix.
I watched it last night and crashed my adventure. I don't think the show was expecting me to dump coffee on the keyboard.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Donator
It was a combination of A Quite place (which was good) and The Happening (which was ass cancer). Everyone moved around way too well blindfolded, the goddam electricity stayed on for god knows how long, and there was no sense of what the enemy was. I can't tell if it was spiritual, alien, or a disease. The production want much better than a made for the film. Never once did I hear then try a radio after the first day. It was lazily written.

LiddyRules

Regional Sales Rep for Fontaine Fish Finder
Never once did I hear then try a radio after the first day.
To be fair, how many times can you hear String Cheese and The Wizard play "See Me, Hear Me," "Blinded By The Light," and "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes"?

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
To be fair, how many times can you hear String Cheese and The Wizard play "See Me, Hear Me," "Blinded By The Light," and "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes"?
Once you get past the hits, Blind Melon gets a little lame too.

LiddyRules

I'm seeing a bunch of articles questioning the 47 million figure and I'm wondering if this is going end up fucking over Netflix and their "trust our numbers. them good numbers." methodology real bad.

If they wanted to do an epic milestone viewing movie, they had options they could have played with - maybe not to 50 million but 20? 25? Bright was heavily promoted, had Will Smith, and had a goofy concept that should have been fun (it wasn't, it was terribly done, but you wouldn't know how badly until you watched - plus its audience score is fairly solid at 84% so some people liked it, at least). The Cloverfield Paradox - Super Bowl ad, well known franchise. Roma and Buster Scruggs - might not have the numbers, but they have pedigree and Roma has huge awards buzz so that might lure people in.

But to claim 47 million on a barely promoted, moderately reviewed, Sandra Bullock Walks Around In a Blindfold For Two Hours movie? I think people know it doesn't smell right.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
I'm seeing a bunch of articles questioning the 47 million figure and I'm wondering if this is going end up fucking over Netflix and their "trust our numbers. them good numbers." methodology real bad.

If they wanted to do an epic milestone viewing movie, they had options they could have played with - maybe not to 50 million but 20? 25? Bright was heavily promoted, had Will Smith, and had a goofy concept that should have been fun (it wasn't, it was terribly done, but you wouldn't know how badly until you watched - plus its audience score is fairly solid at 84% so some people liked it, at least). The Cloverfield Paradox - Super Bowl ad, well known franchise. Roma and Buster Scruggs - might not have the numbers, but they have pedigree and Roma has huge awards buzz so that might lure people in.

But to claim 47 million on a barely promoted, moderately reviewed, Sandra Bullock Walks Around In a Blindfold For Two Hours movie? I think people know it doesn't smell right.
Unless the plan was to hype the flick with this bullshit, to the point where enough of us said "Okay, let's see what this is about", and wadda ya know? 47 million views!

I know that was why I watched it; had to see what all the hubbub was.

Either way you got to hand it to the producer who is in charge of getting potential award winning movies. Last year Mudbound was nominated for at least 3 categories (screenplay was one of them) and this year Roma got a nomination for a best drama Golden Globe. Not bad for a streaming service.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator

I feel like every teenage girl and mom with a netflix account watched it. It plays perfectly into those demos.

LiddyRules

I feel like every teenage girl and mom with a netflix account watched it. It plays perfectly into those demos.
Now I'm imagining a trying on clothes montage except they're all blindfolded.

Tomorrow I'm either giving this a shot or the new Black Mirror. Don't know which. Someone decide for me.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Unless the plan was to hype the flick with this bullshit, to the point where enough of us said "Okay, let's see what this is about", and wadda ya know? 47 million views!

I know that was why I watched it; had to see what all the hubbub was.
Near as I can tell there was no hubbub though. I think that was Liddy’s point. They tried to invent some hubbub. Kind of like how every trailer claims to break some viewing record that isn’t measurable.

LiddyRules

Near as I can tell there was no hubbub though. I think that was Liddy’s point. They tried to invent some hubbub. Kind of like how every trailer claims to break some viewing record that isn’t measurable.
It was my point. There was little promotion for it. I saw very little buzz surrounding it - it felt like that stupid Little Miss Sunshine knock off got more attention. I didn't see Sandy showing Rich Evans photos on Ellen. It's not a concept that generates a lot of interest without a compelling ad campaign or some hook that entices people. And the Rotten Tomatoes reviews are "sure, it's fine, I guess, whatever."

And with all that...47 million metrics. And I'm calling it metrics because no one seems clear what the 47 million is in relation to. And because they had to throw out an outlandish number for a third tier film, I think they just overplayed their hand in a way that will fuck them and other streaming services over.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Netflix advertised the fuck out of that movie on YouTube

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
It was my point. There was little promotion for it. I saw very little buzz surrounding it - it felt like that stupid Little Miss Sunshine knock off got more attention. I didn't see Sandy showing Rich Evans photos on Ellen. It's not a concept that generates a lot of interest without a compelling ad campaign or some hook that entices people. And the Rotten Tomatoes reviews are "sure, it's fine, I guess, whatever."

And with all that...47 million metrics. And I'm calling it metrics because no one seems clear what the 47 million is in relation to. And because they had to throw out an outlandish number for a third tier film, I think they just overplayed their hand in a way that will fuck them and other streaming services over.
That was the point I was making though. I only watched it because I saw shit tons of comments in social media creaming their collective jeans over how good the movie was. I was pushed over the edge by John Skipp, who's an author I respect for his splatter-punk stuff from the 80's/90's who put it in his top 10 of the year.

I went back to him afterward and told him what I said here, that it was ridiculously derivative, and he's yet to reply to it. :eek:

I think I lost the respect of an author I respect. Who knew? :oops:

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
I will 100% agree though, it was 100% artificially generated buzz.

LiddyRules

That was the point I was making though. I only watched it because I saw shit tons of comments in social media creaming their collective jeans over how good the movie was. I was pushed over the edge by John Skipp, who's an author I respect for his splatter-punk stuff from the 80's/90's who put it in his top 10 of the year.

I went back to him afterward and told him what I said here, that it was ridiculously derivative, and he's yet to reply to it. :eek:

I think I lost the respect of an author I respect. Who knew? :oops:
Your sabbatical really makes me appreciate what a shit poster you actually are.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Your sabbatical really makes me appreciate what a shit poster you actually are.
Don't fret. I don't intend to interject my useless opinions into your rarified bullshit often. Speaking of shit posters.

LiddyRules

Here's my question of the day since I'm not hip to online shenanigans.

Are Bird Box challenges actually a thing, or has Netflix invented the concept of a Bird Box challenge to sell the idea that the movie is crazy popular?

And that's the question. I'm not getting into whether Netflix throwing the concept of a Bird Box challenge into the ether creates the actual existence of Bird Box challenges.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
Here's my question of the day since I'm not hip to online shenanigans.

Are Bird Box challenges actually a thing, or has Netflix invented the concept of a Bird Box challenge to sell the idea that the movie is crazy popular?

And that's the question. I'm not getting into whether Netflix throwing the concept of a Bird Box challenge into the ether creates the actual existence of Bird Box challenges.
My local news had a whole story about it last night, including showing a few videos of parents blindfolding their babies and running them into walls.