Meh. I guess you could really say that about any Netflix original movie.
I like both actors and thought it would at least have a few funny moments. It did, but they were pretty much limited to a small 10 minute section in the first 1/3 of the movie. It's almost worth watching to see the bizarre turn it takes in the last act, and I'm not talking about
Netflix Reveals Viewership Numbers for 'You,' 'Sex Education' and More
After a ho-hum run on Lifetime, 'You' has exploded on the streamer, Netflix revealed in its quarterly earnings report.
The drama series You didn't attract much attention on Lifetime, but its debut on Netflix has been huge, according to the streamer.
The thriller starring Penn Badgley and Elizabeth Lail averaged about 1.1 million viewers (and only 611,000 in same-day ratings) during its run on cable in the fall. It has grown exponentially since debuting on Netflix in late December.
In the company's quarterly earnings report, Netflix said You is on pace to be watched by 40 million member households in its first four weeks on the service.
The British dramedy Sex Education, which launched last Friday, is also on pace to hit the 40-million mark within a month. The Spanish teen drama Elite was viewed in more than 20 million homes worldwide in its first four weeks. The feature film Bird Box, meanwhile, is on track to be seen by 80 million Netflix households.
The numbers for You and Sex Education are projections from Netflix, and they don't correspond directly with Nielsen ratings for traditional TV. The company counts a "viewer" as anyone who completes at least 70 percent of a single episode of a series (or 70 percent of a film). The average viewership for each episode is likely not that high; Netflix does not publicly report full viewership numbers for its content.
Nielsen does measure streaming viewership, with some limitations. For example, the ratings service said season two of Stranger Thingsaveraged 8.8 million viewers within three days of launch, while House of Cards' final season averaged 1.53 million in its first week of release. Those figures are for TV viewing only in the U.S.; Netflix has disputed those numbers as they don't include viewing on other devices in this country or any worldwide data.
International fare including Bodyguard, a co-production with BBC One; Italian original Baby; and Turkish original The Protector were each watched in more than 10 million households during their first four weeks on Netflix.
The streaming giant has long been private about its viewership, and it is telling that Netflix is starting to reveal select audience data around its programming. As the company has stocked up on original programming for its service, the concern in Hollywood has been that shows will get buried under the sheer volume of content. By touting when a project performs well, Netflix is providing a bit more insight into what is working on its platform.
I rewatched the whole thing recently. Yes, it got a bit formulaic near the end, and a bit too funny, but was still great overall. It always had a more plausible premise than X-Files ever did and still does, as we still have crap publications and coverups are sadly still plausible.
I think it would work better in the Cumberbatch Sherlock format as a series of two-parters or films like the first two stories, but I'd still dig a series.
Just one day before the remake of Resident Evil 2 arrives, Deadline reports tonight that Netflix is developing a “Resident Evil” television series!
inRead invented by Teads
The site details, “I hear the series will be a Netflix global original. German production and distribution company Constantin Film, which is behind the Resident Evil movies loosely based on the Capcom video game series, is the studio. Search is underway for a showrunner to shepherd the adaptation.”
They add, “No one is commenting but I hear the plan is for the series to expand the Resident Evil universe and deepen the exiting mythology. I hear the series will keep the basic premise, which also served as a setup for the movie franchise. The drama series will explore the dark inner workings of the Umbrella Corporation and the new world order caused by the outbreak of the T-virus. While the project is in early stages, the series is expected to incorporate all of Resident Evil’s signature elements, including action sequences and Easter eggs.”
The Milla Jovovich-led Resident Evil film franchise, which took more of an action approach than the original games, wrapped up in 2016 after its sixth and final installment.
It’s interesting to note that Constantin Film just hired Johannes Roberts (The Strangers: Prey at Night) to direct a feature film reboot of the Resident Evil franchise.
Abducted In Plain Sight is... Interesting.
Almost literally unbelievable, at times I questioned whether it was a satire like American Vandal
Synopsis for those who aren't gonna watch
- There once were 2 mentally retarded parents that had a family. New charismatic man rolls into town... He's a pedophile.
- Pedophile hooks up with both the dad and the mom, but he REALLY wants the 9 year old girl
- The mentally retarded parents believe the pedophile that a psychiatrist has told him that part of his recovery is to sleep with their daughter, so they let him sleep in her bed at night 4x a week for like 6 months.
- Pedophile eventually kidnaps kid, brainwashes her that she's part alien, and like Mary/Joseph/Jesus they need to have a kid to save Earth. Speaks to her as the aliens through walkie-talkies basically
- Pedophile rapes her like daily
- Pedo marries her in Mexico, gets caught eventually, but blackmails the dad into dropping charges, because the dad used to jerk the pedophile off, and the mom fucked him too
- They all return home. The mom has an affair with the pedophile, and the pedophile is allowed to visit the child
- He kidnaps her again, because the parents are mentally retarded.
- Kid is very brainwashed, loves the pedo, wants to marry him
- They find her again
- Dumb kid eventually learns the alien story was fake, and the guy is a monster
- The kid now does speaking tours
- Pedophile wound up spending like a year in prison randomly, but not much. Committed suicide when he was elderly and facing jail.
The dad(Dick Cheney) of the kidnapped girl jerking off the kidnapper/pedophile because he basically asked him to was too much.