God needed a gay anti-Semite - Gore Vidal dead

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
And I was so looking forward to all his insights into the election.

Writer Gore Vidal, 86, has died

Gore Vidal, the iconoclastic writer, savvy analyst and imperious gadfly on the national conscience, has died. He was 86.

Vidal died Tuesday at his home in the Hollywood Hills of complications of pneumonia, said nephew Burr Steers.

Vidal was a literary juggernaut who wrote 25 novels, including historical works such as “Lincoln” and “Burr” and satires such as “Myra Breckinridge” and “Duluth.” He was also a prolific essayist whose pieces on politics, sexuality, religion and literature -- once described as “elegantly sustained demolition derbies” -- both delighted and inflamed and in 1993 earned him a National Book Award for his massive “United States Essays, 1952-1992.”

Threaded throughout his pieces are anecdotes about his famous friends and foes, who included Anais Nin, Tennessee Williams, Christopher Isherwood, Orson Welles, Truman Capote, Frank Sinatra, Jack Kerouac, Marlon Brando, Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward, Eleanor Roosevelt and a variety of Kennedys. He counted Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis and Al Gore among his relatives.

He also wrote Broadway hits, screenplays, television dramas and a trio of mysteries under a pseudonym that remain in print after 50 years.

When he wasn’t writing, he was popping up in movies, playing himself in “Fellini’s Roma,” a sinister plotter in sci-fi thriller “Gattaca” and a U.S. senator in “Bob Roberts.” In other spare moments, he made two entertaining but unsuccessful forays into politics, running for the Senate from California and Congress in New York, and established himself as a master of talk-show punditry who demolished intellectual rivals like Norman Mailer and William F. Buckley with acidic one-liners.

“Style,” Vidal once said, “is knowing who you are, what you want to say, and not giving a damn.” By that definition, he was an emperor of style, sophisticated and cantankerous in his prophesies of America’s fate and refusal to let others define him.[/LEFT]

f kane

Known Traffic Menace
Feb 10, 2010
Fuck that left wing misanthrope. Good riddance.

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
This is what that cunt had to say about the 13 year old girl Roman Polanski *****. He's a real nice guy. Fuck him, I hope grave robbers defile his corpse. Good riddance.
I really don’t give a fuck. Look, am I going to sit and weep every time a young hooker feels as though she’s been taken advantage of?

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
This says it all...

[video=youtube;nYymnxoQnf8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYymnxoQnf8[/video]

I won't pile on anymore, what needed to be said about the guy has been said.

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
Did Buckley just threaten to punch Vidal in the face in that clip? Awesome!

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Did Buckley just threaten to punch Vidal in the face in that clip? Awesome!
"Now listen, you queer, you stop calling me a crypto-Nazi or I'll sock you in the goddamn face and you'll stay plastered."

Maybe the greatest line ever uttered on TV.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
And the sun still rose in the east and set in the west.

Not a single gram of fuck given.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Buckley fucking ruled. I won't even mention the shit who died.

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
KC Metro
"Now listen, you queer, you stop calling me a crypto-Nazi or I'll sock you in the goddamn face and you'll stay plastered."

I never thought much of W.F. Buckley, but now I'm intrigued.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State

I love both their accents in that clip. It sounds funny hearing that upper middle class eastern accent threatening fisticuffs. I almost expected him to challenge him to a duel.