Movie Godzilla: King Of Monsters - May 31, 2019

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot in the Galaxy
I saw @Neon raging against this on Twitter and thought to myself: "This is why I don't spend more time on Twitter."
Furthermore, thoughts on the tagline "A Whole New Speed Of Hero"?

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Furthermore, thoughts on the tagline "A Whole New Speed Of Hero"?
"Why didn't Liddy tell us he got a new job?"
"Better than every DC tagline."
"Insert Jimmy the Greek reference here."

LiddyRules

"Why didn't Liddy tell us he got a new job?"
"Better than every DC tagline."
"Insert Jimmy the Greek reference here."
I can't figure it out. Is it supposed to be a take on "A Whole New Breed of Hero?" or is it something more speed-based?

DiggerNick

Donator
That looks good. And again I'm reminded I need to watch the rest of Stranger Things S2. I just saw a teaser for S3 this weekend.
I don't now what's creepier, that all these pedo-nerds are obsessed with this girl, or the fact that they became obsessed with her when she looked like a little boy.

Movie looks killer. I shan't be watching another frame of it until it opens.

Bobobie

I don't now what's creepier, that all these pedo-nerds are obsessed with this girl, or the fact that they became obsessed with her when she looked like a little boy.
That's how I feel about Anime, but nobody wants to talk about that either.

LiddyRules

There is a strange obsession some people seem to have with her. And according to the rumor mill, her parents are Lohanning the crap out of her.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Bump! New Trailer! Looks awesome!
I'm so fucking in.
If you think that's cool, check out this...
All of you are either PMing each other to coordinate your sarcasm (kudos, if so), or are why this character/franchise will never regain the horror and prestige it once had. THIS IS ANOTHER KID AND THEIR MONSTER FRIEND MOVIE. You know this and how it was what drove Godzilla into the ground to begin with. For all the flaws, Shin Gojira has come the closest in a LONG time, and they dropped a sequel - likely due to pressure from these folks than the new Toho franchise in the works.

Too many humans. Zero stars.
I really hope that was genuine.

No, while this could be a "fun" movie, it's on par with Pikachu or Transformers. Godzilla was never meant to be fun in 1955; it was meant to instill the terror that Alien or The Thing did later on. Only a handful of times did even Toho try to come close again, having knuckled under to pandering to kids and merchandising. Cloverfield actually captured more of that than any other American giant monster film, and that was a singular moment.

I'm not psyched at all about this.

It was 90% serious and 10% trying to get Liddy to yell at me. He didn't take the bait but I'll get him next time.

I've always hated when the Japanese Godzilla movies included too much human side story in my monster fighting. The first Godzilla with Cranston hardly had any monster fighting and when it was about to get good they would cut away. Fucking bullshit.

LiddyRules

All of you are either PMing each other to coordinate your sarcasm (kudos, if so), or are why this character/franchise will never regain the horror and prestige it once had. THIS IS ANOTHER KID AND THEIR MONSTER FRIEND MOVIE. You know this and how it was what drove Godzilla into the ground to begin with. For all the flaws, Shin Gojira has come the closest in a LONG time, and they dropped a sequel - likely due to pressure from these folks than the new Toho franchise in the works.

No, while this could be a "fun" movie, it's on par with Pikachu or Transformers. Godzilla was never meant to be fun in 1955; it was meant to instill the terror that Alien or The Thing did later on. Only a handful of times did even Toho try to come close again, having knuckled under to pandering to kids and merchandising. Cloverfield actually captured more of that than any other American giant monster film, and that was a singular moment.

It was 90% serious and 10% trying to get Liddy to yell at me. He didn't take the bait but I'll get him next time.

I've always hated when the Japanese Godzilla movies included too much human side story in my monster fighting. The first Godzilla with Cranston hardly had any monster fighting and when it was about to get good they would cut away. Fucking bullshit.
I really just wanted to talk about Sonic.

I have no opinion on this. It's a big blockbuster. Whatever.

Still think Gojira is the best of the series.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator

The fuck do I care about a movie that was made in 1955 for? I've never seen Godzilla 1955, and can't imagine if I did I would be instilled with anything but laughter at a guy in a rubber suit knocking down toy buildings. If you like that movie, enjoy that movie. I can respect that. But this is a different movie with a different set of objectives. 1) Make money. 2) Be fun. 3) Sell toys. 4) Continue the franchise build to Godzilla v Kong. And that's something that you should have to respect, even if you choose not to participate. Nowhere on that list is "instill terror." People don't make $200 Godzilla movies to instill terror. You mentioned Cloverfield - It made $80 million. They were smart and budgeted it appropriately, but I've seen that kind of Godzilla movie. And I've seen enough clips of rubber suit Godzilla to say no fucking way do I want that. No - I want to see him in his full glory kicking the shit out of Mothra, Rodan, and King Fucking Ghidorah. And I don't get that if they're trying to instill terror. I get that if they're trying to do the other four things I mentioned.

So no - no sarcasm from me.

LiddyRules

The fuck do I care about a movie that was made in 1955 for? I've never seen Godzilla 1955, and can't imagine if I did I would be instilled with anything but laughter at a guy in a rubber suit knocking down toy buildings. If you like that movie, enjoy that movie. I can respect that. But this is a different movie with a different set of objectives. 1) Make money. 2) Be fun. 3) Sell toys. 4) Continue the franchise build to Godzilla v Kong. And that's something that you should have to respect, even if you choose not to participate. Nowhere on that list is "instill terror." People don't make $200 Godzilla movies to instill terror. You mentioned Cloverfield - It made $80 million. They were smart and budgeted it appropriately, but I've seen that kind of Godzilla movie. And I've seen enough clips of rubber suit Godzilla to say no fucking way do I want that. No - I want to see him in his full glory kicking the shit out of Mothra, Rodan, and King Fucking Ghidorah. And I don't get that if they're trying to instill terror. I get that if they're trying to do the other four things I mentioned.

The thing I don't get is the driving Godzilla into the ground. Without the goofiness of Godzilla and friends that the franchise turned into, no one but a few Nippophiles would remember it.

I think the first one is the most solid movie, but without Mothra, Jet Jaguar, and Mecha-Godzilla, you have no franchise.

The fuck do I care about a movie that was made in 1955 for? I've never seen Godzilla 1955, and can't imagine if I did I would be instilled with anything but laughter at a guy in a rubber suit knocking down toy buildings. If you like that movie, enjoy that movie. I can respect that. But this is a different movie with a different set of objectives. 1) Make money. 2) Be fun. 3) Sell toys. 4) Continue the franchise build to Godzilla v Kong. And that's something that you should have to respect, even if you choose not to participate. Nowhere on that list is "instill terror." People don't make $200 Godzilla movies to instill terror. You mentioned Cloverfield - It made $80 million. They were smart and budgeted it appropriately, but I've seen that kind of Godzilla movie. And I've seen enough clips of rubber suit Godzilla to say no fucking way do I want that. No - And I don't get that if they're trying to instill terror. I get that if they're trying to do the other four things I mentioned.

People also don't want to root against Godzilla. People love Godzilla. I personally used to own around 10 Godzilla VHS movies as a boy.

Now, I wouldn't be opposed to making Godzilla less of an obvious hero. Showing him crash through a building with people in it. Step on a bus with people here and there. It could sell the point of how disastrous the situation really is.

At the end of the day though. I think most people just want one thing from the movie.

I want to see him in his full glory kicking the shit out of Mothra, Rodan, and King Fucking Ghidorah.
So no more cutting away when shit gets good.

LiddyRules

People also don't want to root against Godzilla. People love Godzilla. I personally used to own around 10 Godzilla VHS movies as a boy.

Now, I wouldn't be opposed to making Godzilla less of an obvious hero. Showing him crash through a building with people in it. Step on a bus with people here and there. It could sell the point of how disastrous the situation really is.

At the end of the day though. I think most people just want one thing from the movie.

So no more cutting away when shit gets good.
Why is Gamera?