Movie Godzilla: King Of Monsters - May 31, 2019

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
I'm going to go out on a limb and say most people don't love Godzilla and don't actually care if they root for or against him.

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
Had to google this. I've not seen Infinity War yet.

Speaking of Gamera. A flying turtle that breathes fire is awesome. I owned that on VHS to go with my Godzilla Vs videos.
So, do you like watching Gamera movies?

Bobobie

I like SCIFI but hate these dumb Japanese movies.
Giant Robots, Giant Monsters, hell even Immortal Engine Cities on wheels, are dumb. They are big huge targets for Nuclear Tipped Cruise Missiles.

DiggerNick

Donator
There is a strange obsession some people seem to have with her. And according to the rumor mill, her parents are Lohanning the crap out of her.
I never saw the show. The constant images of that toothless doofus grinning have ensure that I will likely never watch it.

So is she the girl the producers made kiss the black boy, or was that just a nightmare I once had?

That's the most Japanese thing that ever Jap'd
What about a comic where Vladimir Putin gets transferred to another dimension, beats up dragons, and wants to ride them shirtless? Cause that's literally what I'm reading right now.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Awful. So many opportunities for real horror missed. For all it's weirdness and somewhat fucked pacing, Shin Gojira is already still better than this.

Awful. So many opportunities for real horror missed. For all it's weirdness and somewhat fucked pacing, Shin Gojira is already still better than this.
The trailers tone of embracing Godzilla ruined it for me. I was revulsed when the kid puts his hand on Godzillas nose like the smart bug in star ship troopers.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot in the Galaxy
The thing is -- Godzilla isn't scary. I mean, I guess you could make an argument that he could be if he were alone, but once you throw in Mothra and Rodan, he's just a goof ball.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
The thing is -- Godzilla isn't scary. I mean, I guess you could make an argument that he could be if he were alone, but once you throw in Mothra and Rodan, he's just a goof ball.
Godzilla Raids Again ('55) was fairly on par with the '54 original and featured another creature. Rodan ('56) is hands down one of the most frightening films, and actually features several monsters.

That Toho decided to pander to kids to increase box office totals was in large part due to Columbia Pictures' involvement and decision to distribute Mothra in '61. That was their biggest-ever studio partner, and changed the entire landscape. The horror was gone, and comedy and fantasy embraced.

But we know this. The same digression doesn't have to be part of every reboot, but every American ever involved in every reboot attempt has Saturday "Godzillathon" matinees on the brain. They're indoctrinated in thinking that's where all the money is and it's not, or else the early films would have bombed as they don't fit the mold. The funny thing is they were hits.

Shin Gojira showed in large part that can happen. It's the most seriously-taken film in years.

I dont like the petting scene either, I'd rather he'd be a bit feared. He's a big fucking rizard, fer christ's sake. He does damage, just by walking the earth. Don't portray him or treat him like he's your family dog.

I'll wait until I see the movie before I pass judgement. And Godzilla being Godzilla, I'll see it no matter how crappy it is. This film can't be worse than the anime trilogy, so there's that.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Toho has plans to make their own version of a Monster Cinematic Universe starting in 2021. If you're a fan of Shin Godzilla and hate the Legendary films, just wait a couple years and it will all be over. I thought Godzilla 2014 was really fun. There were some issues with the human characters - I think @Neon and I rewrote their characters in like 45 seconds and made it work better, but the Godzilla part of the movie was aces in my book.

Anyone not looking forward to Kong vs Godzilla is a communist.