Movie Godzilla: King Of Monsters - May 31, 2019

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot in the Galaxy
Toho has plans to make their own version of a Monster Cinematic Universe starting in 2021. If you're a fan of Shin Godzilla and hate the Legendary films, just wait a couple years and it will all be over. I thought Godzilla 2014 was really fun. There were some issues with the human characters - I think @Neon and I rewrote their characters in like 45 seconds and made it work better, but the Godzilla part of the movie was aces in my book.

Anyone not looking forward to Kong vs Godzilla is a communist.
I don't have a problem with anything in the trailer but I feel nothing for it either.

I don't have a problem with anything in the trailer but I feel nothing for it either.
If you just showed the monsters its a fine trailer. The people made my skin crawl.

Thinking back to when I was a kid. I mostly fast forwarded through the boring people parts and went right to the monsters.

LiddyRules

If you just showed the monsters its a fine trailer. The people made my skin crawl.

Thinking back to when I was a kid. I mostly fast forwarded through the boring people parts and went right to the monsters.
Yes, but those were Japanese people. These are white people.

LiddyRules

Toho has plans to make their own version of a Monster Cinematic Universe starting in 2021. If you're a fan of Shin Godzilla and hate the Legendary films, just wait a couple years and it will all be over. I thought Godzilla 2014 was really fun. There were some issues with the human characters - I think @Neon and I rewrote their characters in like 45 seconds and made it work better, but the Godzilla part of the movie was aces in my book.

Anyone not looking forward to Kong vs Godzilla is a communist.
Which did you like better: Godzilla 2014 or Skull Island?

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Which did you like better: Godzilla 2014 or Skull Island?
My complete thoughts on Kong: Skull Island:

Y'all mother fuckers hate fun. No shock Lids hated it. Christ almighty what the hell else could you want? I don't even care.
My initial thoughts on Godzilla:

I liked it. I could definitely see why some people would not, but I enjoyed it. I will probably put some thoughts together at some point. My biggest disappointment was not seeing it in IMAX, which I will rectify on Tuesday. But you can't get that first impression back, so at some of the best parts I was sitting there cursing my friends.
And after the second viewing:
If you haven't seen it yet - SEE IT ON IMAX! What a difference.

I just got home and Pacific Rim is on. I don't care if this makes me a bad person, but I like Pacific Rim better.
Now I want to rewatch all three, but it feels to me like they are ranked:

1) Pacific Rim
2) Godzilla
3) Kong Skull Island

I'm not sure where Pacific Rim 2 falls, but I liked that more than I feel like I should have. My initial thoughts:

I’ll be damned...

That was actually...good?

Retarded, but...good?

LiddyRules

1) Pacific Rim
2) Godzilla
3) Kong Skull Island

I'm not sure where Pacific Rim 2 falls, but I liked that more than I feel like I should have. My initial thoughts:
I'd give my thoughts, but I realized I don't care. If you asked me which was my favorite, I'd probably respond with "Sure."

LiddyRules

Okay @Pigdango - let me figure this out.

I remember neither liking nor disliking Godzilla and Kong: Skull Island. They were watchable but ultimately forgettable.

I liked the characters (or rather caricatures) of Kong: Skull Island more those in Godzilla, but outside of Ken Watanabe, I don't think any of the characters in Godzilla had any personality. Whereas Kong: Skull Island, the characters were more memorable, but also often more annoying. But maybe it's simply because the cast was better. I love me some Shea Whigham. So I guess it's cartoony vs. planks of wood. And remember when Brie Larson could be in a movie without it causing a gender war?

I think Kong: Skull Island had better and a greater variety of visuals even if some of the action sequences fell flat. One I particularly remember poorly was Loki in a gas mask swinging a sword at CGI bats or whatever.

Yet overall, I think Godzilla was the better movie? How the fuck does that work?

Pacific Rim 1 is the best of the four. Pacific Rim 2 I found incredibly stupid (ridiculously so) yet very enjoyable at the same time. More enjoyable than Godzilla or Kong, but it's so stupid I don't know if I can rationally put it above those two either.

And the most important thing to take from Pacific Rim 2? John Boyega had chemistry with Scott Eastwood. The Last Jedi found the one person on Earth he couldn't make charismatic.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Donator

1) Pacific Rim
2) Godzilla
3) Kong Skull Island

Okay @Pigdango - let me figure this out.

I remember neither liking nor disliking Godzilla and Kong: Skull Island. They were watchable but ultimately forgettable.

I liked the characters (or rather caricatures) of Kong: Skull Island more those in Godzilla, but outside of Ken Watanabe, I don't think any of the characters in Godzilla had any personality. Whereas Kong: Skull Island, the characters were more memorable, but also often more annoying. But maybe it's simply because the cast was better. I love me some Shea Whigham. So I guess it's cartoony vs. planks of wood. And remember when Brie Larson could be in a movie without it causing a gender war?

I think Kong: Skull Island had better and a greater variety of visuals even if some of the action sequences fell flat. One I particularly remember poorly was Loki in a gas mask swinging a sword at CGI bats or whatever.

Yet overall, I think Godzilla was the better movie? How the fuck does that work?

Pacific Rim 1 is the best of the four. Pacific Rim 2 I found incredibly stupid (ridiculously so) yet very enjoyable at the same time. More enjoyable than Godzilla or Kong, but it's so stupid I don't know if I can rationally put it above those two either.

And the most important thing to take from Pacific Rim 2? John Boyega had chemistry with Scott Eastwood. The Last Jedi found the one person on Earth he couldn't make charismatic.

These are my original thoughts after seeing each one:

1. Godzilla (2014) - Thought the movie was outstanding. I loved what they did with the opening credits.

2. Pacific Rim - I thought the movie was very good. It looked great and I liked how there were these subtle color changes from scene to scene. The music was great and I'm going to be humming that main theme for awhile.

3. Skull Island - I thought visually the movie looked great. Which is a good thing because I accidentally bought a ticket to a 3-D showing. It was very entertaining and the action sequences don't go on forever. Of course, no Vietnam movie is complete without a little CCR playing in the background.

If I had one complaint it would be that some of the dialogue sounds forced. I think that's because there are just way too many people in this movie and everybody has their role they have to play.

4. Pacific Rim 2 - Good, clean fun. I think the reason why if felt like there were no characters and a couple of plots it wouldn't commit to was because of the multiple writers. Although if they would have found a way to work some of the deleted scenes in, it might have tightened up the story a bit.

I will say this about the movie. It proved that Star Wars doesn't know what to do with Boyega and that he was totally misused in TLJ. Not only did he have chemistry with Eastwood, but he also worked well with Cailee Spaeny.

Godzilla was the better made movie out of the four, but the first Pacific Rim was the most entertaining. Skull Island has a slight edge over Uprising.

LiddyRules

These are my original thoughts after seeing each one:

1. Godzilla (2014) - Thought the movie was outstanding. I loved what they did with the opening credits.

2. Pacific Rim - I thought the movie was very good. It looked great and I liked how there were these subtle color changes from scene to scene. The music was great and I'm going to be humming that main theme for awhile.

3. Skull Island - I thought visually the movie looked great. Which is a good thing because I accidentally bought a ticket to a 3-D showing. It was very entertaining and the action sequences don't go on forever. Of course, no Vietnam movie is complete without a little CCR playing in the background.

If I had one complaint it would be that some of the dialogue sounds forced. I think that's because there are just way too many people in this movie and everybody has their role they have to play.

4. Pacific Rim 2 - Good, clean fun. I think the reason why if felt like there were no characters and a couple of plots it wouldn't commit to was because of the multiple writers. Although if they would have found a way to work some of the deleted scenes in, it might have tightened up the story a bit.

I will say this about the movie. It proved that Star Wars doesn't know what to do with Boyega and that he was totally misused in TLJ. Not only did he have chemistry with Eastwood, but he also worked well with Cailee Spaeny.

Godzilla was the better made movie out of the four, but the first Pacific Rim was the most entertaining. Skull Island has a slight edge over Uprising.
I don't have a problem with Cailee. I thought she was fine on her own in Uprising and held her own in Murder Hotel.

But I don't think I've seen Eastwood in any role that wouldn't have been just as well served with a cardboard cut out of a white guy from an office supply catalog.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Donator
I don't have a problem with Cailee. I thought she was fine on her own in Uprising and held her own in Murder Hotel.

But I don't think I've seen Eastwood in any role that wouldn't have been just as well served with a cardboard cut out of a white guy from an office supply catalog.
Holy shit, I didn't realize she was the girl in Uprising. She looked much older in Murder Hotel.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
What is this Murder Hotel you speak of?

Pacific Rim was a fun movie aside from a few annoying characters. Good sound track

Godzilla was good except for too many people scenes. A little moar Godzilla please. A couple of doozy camera shots, though ruined in the trailer, would have been a "fuck yeah", seeing for first time in theater ie, the sky dive flare scene

King Kong was good but yeah, too many star focus parts and hate when the beautiful women go from piece of ass to I'm here to kick ass and chew gum and I'm all out of gum

All three were definitely worth it and great in IMAX

My rankings:

1. "Pacific Rim". An absolute blast, an incredibly fun tribute to classic kaiju films and giant robot anime by someone who truly loves them.
2. "Kong: Skull Island": A nice way to introduce a classic character without rehashing the origin story.
3. "Godzilla": Flat characters save for Bryan Cranston, but the way Goji took out the female MUTO was the coolest kaiju death ever.
4. "Pacific Rim: Uprising": Less inspired than the first, but better than I was expecting. The way the comic relief from PR became the villain in PR2 was my favorite aspect.

Kong Skull Island aka Sam Jackson vs The Monkey Man was so bad it took me 3 or 4 days to recover emotionally from it. It made me sad, confused, angry, Skull Island mind-raped me. I cried in the shower.

LiddyRules

Kong Skull Island aka Sam Jackson vs The Monkey Man was so bad it took me 3 or 4 days to recover emotionally from it. It made me sad, confused, angry, Skull Island mind-raped me. I cried in the shower.