Gomer Pyle getting his gay marriage on.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Actor Jim Nabors marries male partner in Seattle

The actor best known for playing the TV character Gomer Pyle in the 1960s has married his male partner of 38 years.

The Associated Press

HONOLULU —

The actor best known for playing the TV character Gomer Pyle in the 1960s has married his male partner of 38 years.

Hawaii News Now (http://bit.ly/14tFM3U) reports Jim Nabors and his partner, Stan Cadwallader, traveled from their Honolulu home to Seattle to be married Jan. 15.

Gay marriage became legal in Washington state last month.

The 82-year-old Nabors says you've got to solidify something when you've been together as long as they have.

The couple met in 1975 when Cadwallader was a Honolulu firefighter. Cadwallader is 64.

Nabors says he's been open about his homosexuality to co-workers and friends but never acknowledged it to the media before.

Nabors played Gomer Pyle in "The Andy Griffith Show" and "Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C." television shows.

---

Information from: KGMB-TV, http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/
I'd make pertinent jokes, but I haven't seen an Andy Griffith rerun since I was a kid.

Mother Shucker

I'm over here now.
Oct 13, 2004
Your Mom's box.
I guess God needed an old queen.

Wait, he got MARRIED and did not die? What the fuck. Your like 100 dumb ass. Time to die, not get married.

OilyJillFart

Well-Lubed Member
Sep 26, 2008
And to think they let him in the marines.
It really does reflect how society felt about the military at that time..
Between him and Captain Binghamton, they weren't shown in the highest esteem..

I can't remember offhand, were there any prime time serials back then that shit on the army too?
By the time they got around to MASH, they were at least showing some respect..

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
It really does reflect how society felt about the military at that time..
Between him and Captain Binghamton, they weren't shown in the highest esteem..

I can't remember offhand, were there any prime time serials back then that shit on the army too?
By the time they got around to MASH, they were at least showing some respect..
Combat! was on at the same time as Gomer Pyle and actually ran for twice as long as GP was very pro-military from what I remember of seeing some reruns with my dad as a kid.

OilyJillFart

Well-Lubed Member
Sep 26, 2008
Have you even seen an episode of MASH? The whole idea of the movie and tv show were to shit on the Army.
Most of them, and mostly first-run. I never really re-watched them in syndication.
Maybe time has changed some of my perception.
I thought they shit on the war and the bureaucracy, but didn't portray the
characters all as one dimensional buffoons. At least, not all of them.

And, I meant it as an evolutionary step, not a complete change from only a decade
away from Gomer.

Gomer made our Marines look as inept as Hogan's Heroes made the Nazis.

OilyJillFart

Well-Lubed Member
Sep 26, 2008
Wait, I'm confused. I thought Gomer Pyle USMC was supposed to be a comedy?
It was, but try pitching that model now to a producer.
Wouldn't have a chance.
That's the change in sentiment I was trying to compare.

No big deal, I'll get it back on topic...

So, which lemon party guy should Gomer's face be photoshopped on to?
Probably the one in the back, it almost looks like him anyways..

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Most of them, and mostly first-run. I never really re-watched them in syndication.
Maybe time has changed some of my perception.
I thought they shit on the war and the bureaucracy, but didn't portray the
characters all as one dimensional buffoons. At least, not all of them.

And, I meant it as an evolutionary step, not a complete change from only a decade
away from Gomer.
That's fair. It was much harder on the military in a serious sense, but the characters weren't buffoons.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I always thought Gomer Pyle was more like Beetle Bailey. But I've actually never seen an episode. Though I have seen every episode of MASH. And the first three seasons were the best. Also Blake and Trapper John were better than Potter and BJ.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
Loved Combat.

Off to TPB now....
Let me know if you find it anywhere, my dad's been bugging me to track it down for him. He's pissed it's not on netflix instant, I think I have until he gets through all 130 episodes of Mission: Impossible until he asks me again.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Let me know if you find it anywhere, my dad's been bugging me to track it down for him. He's pissed it's not on netflix instant, I think I have until he gets through all 130 episodes of Mission: Impossible until he asks me again.
There's this channel I get in Chicago called ME-TV. I'm not sure if it's elsewhere in the country, but it might be. Anyway, they show Combat at 2 in the morning every weekday.

EDIT:

ME-TV is in both Los Angeles and New York City/Long Island and Combat airs at from 3:00-3:30 every weekday. I think you said you were from Jersey, but I don't know where so I couldn't enter in Zip Code. You can check availability at http://metvnetwork.com

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
The actual DVDs are on Netflix. Make sure you tell him the shiny silver discs don't go on the Victrola.

Off-White-Power

High maintenance, low tolerance
May 12, 2007
Shenandoah Valley, VA
There's this channel I get in Chicago called ME-TV. I'm not sure if it's elsewhere in the country, but it might be. Anyway, they show Combat at 2 in the morning every weekday.

EDIT:

ME-TV is in both Los Angeles and New York City/Long Island and Combat airs at from 3:00-3:30 every weekday. I think you said you were from Jersey, but I don't know where so I couldn't enter in Zip Code. You can check availability at http://metvnetwork.com
Yeah we have me-tv here in va too. I have it on constantly and watch nothing else. I am addicted to westerns. The rifleman, gun smoke, bonanza, and the big valley.