Goodell: Super Bowl may someday be held in London

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
SCOTTSDALE, Arizona -- A future NFL champion may someday be crowned overseas in a game witnessed predominantly by a foreign audience, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said.

"There's a great deal of interest in holding a Super Bowl in London," Goodell told reporters Monday. "So we'll be looking at that."

The commissioner said London's Wembley Stadium would make a great candidate for American pro football's biggest matchup, given the opening of the stadium's lastest incarnation and enthusiasm overseas for the game.

The NFL has been expanding its overseas presence for years by televising games around the world. It's held preseason games in numerous countries in Europe, Asia, Mexico and Canada, and in 2005, the Arizona Cardinals and San Francisco 49ers played the first regular-season match outside the U.S.

The game at Azteca Stadium in Mexico City drew the league's largest crowd to date, 103,467.

On Oct. 28, Wembley will host the first regular-season NFL game outside North America. It took just 90 minutes to sell the first 40,000 tickets for the game between the Miami Dolphins and New York Giants. Goodell said event organizers have sold 95,000 tickets in all.

Goodell spoke about the possibility of a British Super Bowl after a luncheon Monday in Scottsdale sponsored by the host committee for the 2008 Super Bowl in Arizona.

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
As if it isn't hard enough for fans of teams to get to see the Superbowl. Fucking cunt.

NightStalker3

a complete moron that posts
Oct 4, 2004
Why? Stupid, Blokes could give a shit and its hard enough to get a ticket now.

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
ummm...London is +5hrs from the east coast and +8 hours from the west coast...That means that the game has to kick off at 11:36pm london time...umm...hmm...

But it would make a GREAT trip...we could head over to london and jam with the pat's!

Jul 26, 2005
Not happening. Just like the stories where theres gonna be an MLB team in Japan. It all sounds nice until you consider logistics and realize it just can't and won't happen.

Feb 5, 2003
With a stranger
Fuck this douche bag. He stole a trip to Miami from me when he made the Dolphins/Giants game in London. My dad was going to get tickets because he's a Giants fan and I'm a Dolphins fan, but this cunt had to go and move the game to another fucking continent.

Creampier

I have to return some videotapes!
May 11, 2007
Somerville, NJ
I echo all your sentiments exactly. The Super Bowl is about as American as anything there is. I'm cool with the Brits, and I don't mind the Giants-Dolphins game being played in London this year, but the soccer loving Lymie bastards can sodomize themselves if they steal the Super Bowl away!

N.Y. Johnny

Fake Twitter Friend
Sep 9, 2005
Texas
ummm...London is +5hrs from the east coast and +8 hours from the west coast...That means that the game has to kick off at 11:36pm london time...umm...hmm...

But it would make a GREAT trip...we could head over to london and jam with the pat's!

Good Luck keeping the outcome of the game secret if they do play it at 9pm England time. Or if they kick it off at midnight England time that would suck too.

This idea would be a monumental piece of shit, why? Money, thats it of course, but its stupid. The goddamn Super Bowl is supposed to be played here and always should be that way. There's no reason to do this nonsense.

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
Dec 9, 2004
California
No way, and that goes for placing a team overseas as well. The only thing that might happen is Toronto getting a team.

moegolden

Perv-switch toggler
Oct 3, 2004
I'm not opposed to playing the game in an unusual location, since it is a TV event....but when they go out of their way for a 6:36 p.m. EST kickoff every year, it's just not right to start a game that late overseas.

Imagine if they go for an earlier start and try to tape delay the national network telecast --- showing it live on NFL Network only could be a perfect gimmick to strongarm cable operators into carrying their channel. that would be purely evil, since gambling is such a huge part of it. although the current network superbowl contracts have to stipulate these are live telecasts.

SurlyTruckDrivr

You've got a friend in WDTv2.0
Apr 28, 2005
Westport, Mass
Good Luck keeping the outcome of the game secret if they do play it at 9pm England time. Or if they kick it off at midnight England time that would suck too.

This idea would be a monumental piece of shit, why? Money, thats it of course, but its stupid. The goddamn Super Bowl is supposed to be played here and always should be that way. There's no reason to do this nonsense.
agreed, fuck them overseas, let them stick with soccer. It's a goddamn american event, does everything need to be globalized. if you want to have a game overseas take the fucking probowl.