Google buying Moto Mobility

Hoffman

Guess who's back? Hoffman's back
Sep 28, 2006
Northern VA
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14530543

Internet giant Google has announced a deal to buy Motorola Mobility for $12.5bn (£7.7bn).

A joint statement said the boards of both companies had unanimously approved the deal, which should be completed by the end of this year, or early in 2012.

Earlier this year, Motorola split into two separate companies.

Mobility develops and manufactures mobile phones, while Motorola Solutions covers wider technologies for corporate customers and governments.

The search engine giant and developer of the Android operating system for mobile phones is gearing up for its confrontation with Apple and (to a lesser extent) Microsoft.

Google has suffered a number of mobile phone setbacks recently, most of them in patent courts. Motorola Mobility holds 24,500 patents, which should allow Google to imitate Apple's strategy of slowing down rivals by taking them to court for alleged patent infringements.

Google's problem is that buying Motorola leaves its other Android partners potentially high and dry. Will they get the same early access to the latest versions of Android? Will Motorola get that little bit extra when it comes to smartphone features?

Google has released statements from three Android partners supporting the deal. They're clearly written with clenched teeth. To handset-makers, Microsoft's new Windows Phone software will suddenly look quite attractive.

And it puts a question mark over Google's new boss Larry Page. Does he have no better use for the company's cash than buying a fickle hardware business? Is Google losing corporate focus?

The price of $12.5bn, or $40 per share, represents a 63% premium on the closing share price of Motorola Mobility on Friday, the joint statement said.

The deal would allow Google to "supercharge" its Android operating system, the company said.

It added that it would continue to run Mobility as a separate business.

"Motorola Mobility's total commitment to Android has created a natural fit for our two companies," said Larry Page, Google's chief executive.

Sanjay Jha, his counterpart at Mobility, said: "This transaction offers significant value for [our] stockholders and provides compelling new opportunities for our employees, customers and partners around the world."

The deal is subject to shareholder and regulatory approval.

Motorola was once one of the world's most successful mobile phone manufacturers, but has fallen behind the likes of Apple, Samsung and HTC in recent years.

Many of its handsets already use Google's Android operating system.

Meanwhile, Nokia shares jumped more than 10% on news of the deal, with renewed speculation that the Finnish mobile phone company could become a bid target itself.
Good move for Google. Hopefully they remove that god awful Blur from the handsets.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Since no one is the clear leading Android phone manufacturer between them and HTC and Samsung, this will probably bring everyone's game up a little.

But this reporter is clearly not too "hip" to the mobile scene.

Google's problem is that buying Motorola leaves its other Android partners potentially high and dry. Will they get the same early access to the latest versions of Android? Will Motorola get that little bit extra when it comes to smartphone features?
The Nexus already gets first crack and then within a few days independent devs already have updates available to just about every phone. The carriers will always drag their feet because why upgrade/update people when they'd rather people buy shiny new expensive phones. Devoting resources to upgrade people's existing phones is a lose/lose for them most of the time.

To handset-makers, Microsoft's new Windows Phone software will suddenly look quite attractive.
:roflololol:

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
The Nexus already gets first crack and then within a few days independent devs already have updates available to just about every phone. The carriers will always drag their feet because why upgrade/update people when they'd rather people buy shiny new expensive phones. Devoting resources to upgrade people's existing phones is a lose/lose for them most of the time.
Not to mention Google, major carriers, and most manufacturers came out just this year and stated all new devices will receive updates for at least 18 months... so while it may take longer for HTC, they're still going to get them.

Google I/O might have been full of showstopper announcements like Google Music Beta and Ice Cream Sandwich, but the most important announcement might be the most prosaic: Google’s formed a committee of Android OEMs and carriers to improve how and when Android updates are distributed to customers. And it’s a pretty impressive committee: the founding members are Verizon, HTC, Samsung, Sprint, Sony Ericsson, LG, T-Mobile, Vodafone, Motorola, and AT&T. The group’s first move is to promise that that new Android devices from these partners will receive updates for 18 months after launch, pending hardware support, which is a great step towards addressing the problem of orphan devices. That’s not bad for an opening act — and we have high hopes that the group can smooth out the uneven Android update process.

Of course, we’re aslo curious about a few things: do these partners get early access to Android source, which has been the source of some controversy in recent months? If so, where does that leave companies like Dell, which is notably absent from the list? And exactly how many updates are required in that 18-month period? Every update Google releases, or just major ones? We’ll look for more answers and let you know what we find out.

Update: We just asked Andy Rubin how the 18-month update commitment will work in light of every manufacturer’s customizations — a source of considerable heartache in the Android upgrade picture so far. His answer? They’re “actively thinking it out right now” with the partners that have been announced — they’ve been “tasked with figuring out how to make it work.” He says details should start to emerge in the next few weeks, but we imagine there’ll be some heated conversations behind closed doors in the process of banging this out.

Talking about the size and constituency of the partnership so far, Rubin says that “it’s an open invitation” to any manufacturer or carrier that wants to participate — but that it made sense to start out small for the sake of manageability. Long term, “there’s no reason not to have everyone in it.”

http://thisismynext.com/2011/05/10/google-promises-android-devices-updates-18-months/

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Not to mention Google, major carriers, and most manufacturers came out just this year and stated all new devices will receive updates for at least 18 months... so while it may take longer for HTC, they're still going to get them.
I think that falls more into a "I'll believe it when I see it" scenario. At least HTC is actively encouraging the whole thing. You'll be able to actually root your phone directly through them instead of going through the guys at XDA. They announced that future phones will come locked, but they'll post the unlocker on their website shortly afterwards.
http://htcdev.com/

GrammatonCleric

Nov 19, 2008
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14530543

Good move for Google. Hopefully they remove that god awful Blur from the handsets.
It's amazing how many people I've heard say this ever since blur was introduced yet moto insists on putting on their phones. If it wasn't for build quality no one would buy their phones.

I think that falls more into a "I'll believe it when I see it" scenario. At least HTC is actively encouraging the whole thing. You'll be able to actually root your phone directly through them instead of going through the guys at XDA. They announced that future phones will come locked, but they'll post the unlocker on their website shortly afterwards.
Unlock, not root.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
But what happens when the phones are then placed in Verizon's hands (or whatever carrier you use)? Couldn't they close that loophole themselves?

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
But what happens when the phones are then placed in Verizon's hands (or whatever carrier you use)? Couldn't they close that loophole themselves?
I think the only thing Verizon has the right to lock is the radio itself. HTC has such a core group of fans that I don't think Verizon would really try that hard to block it and risk alienating them. HTC might have the leverage here. They've benefited tremendously from making their phones more open-sourced the last few years and have incorporated a lot of what the dev community has come up with into their phones.

And Verizon knows that if people really want an unlocked phone they'll do it anyways and might as well provide a safer way to do it. I'm sure Verizon eats a lot of bricked phones right now as it is so it could end up saving them money.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Very interesting...

It am looking to forward to seeing the ripple effects of this move.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
Pretty sure Motorola announced something similar not long after HTC did, but I can't find an article on it.

Hoffman

Guess who's back? Hoffman's back
Sep 28, 2006
Northern VA
Pretty sure Motorola announced something similar not long after HTC did, but I can't find an article on it.
Moto said they would "look into" providing unlocked bootloaders; that was the last anybody heard of it.