Google Makes Augmented Reality MMORPG To Play IRL

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Google Makes Augmented Reality MMORPG To Play IRL

November 16, 2012 / augmented reality, crossing the line, i have a hard enough time watching where i'm going without staring at my phone the whole time trying to find make believe health packs, irl, mmorpg, not for me, not sure how i feel about this, real life, things that make you go hmm, video games

Because real life is boring when you're not staring at a phone, Google has created Ingress, an augmented reality "Warcraft like" MMORPG that's played in real life through an Android app. I'm not sure how I feel about it EXCEPT I AM GOING TO F***ING WIN. I played SimCity, I know what's up.
Our future is at stake. And you must choose a side.

A mysterious energy has been unearthed by a team of scientists in Europe. The origin and purpose of this force is unknown, but some researchers believe it is influencing the way we think. We must control it or it will control us.
"The Enlightened" seek to embrace the power that this energy may bestow upon us.
"The Resistance" struggle to defend, and protect what's left of our humanity.
Ingress transforms the real world into the landscape for a global game of mystery, intrigue, and competition.
Move through the real world using your Android device and the Ingress app to discover and tap sources of this mysterious energy. Acquire objects to aid in your quest, deploy tech to capture territory, and ally with other players to advance the cause of the Enlightened or the Resistance.​
Oh man, I wonder if the game is going to lead to any real-life battles between factions. Because THAT -- that I would like to see on Youtube. I say you and I join the Resistance. I, of course, will be our brave but incompetent leader. And our first quest is going to be... "Let me guess -- raiding the liquor store?" It's our only hope for survival.

Thanks to Cam, josh, Branky and Slytherin (boo!), who don't need augmented reality MMORPGs because they always drive their cars like they're playing Twisted Metal. Okay you people terrify me.
http://www.geekologie.com/2012/11/google-makes-augmented-reality-mmorpg-to.php

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
Anyone get an invite to the beta yet?

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
This is going to be an app that overlays crap on your on your cameras display image. Sort of the same deal as wearing their glasses. You'll be walking around with your phone in front of you like those stupid video bloggers, only in reverse so you can see your phones screen. Then as you pass Starbucks, google will flash an advertisement telling you there is An America Joe Espresso for $7, or Sub Sandwich Combo for $5 at Subway.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
This is going to be an app that overlays crap on your on your cameras display image. Sort of the same deal as wearing their glasses. You'll be walking around with your phone in front of you like those stupid video bloggers, only in reverse so you can see your phones screen. Then as you pass Starbucks, google will flash an advertisement telling you there is An America Joe Espresso for $7, or Sub Sandwich Combo for $5 at Subway.
Yup...and people will eat it up.

Barely Legal

Standing on his head
Feb 9, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Anyone get an invite to the beta yet?
I just got my invite today. Not sure what the fuck I'm doing, but it's nothing like whatever Bobobie was describing. The game screen is overlaid on top of your current Android GPS coodinates on Google Maps and you have to run around (literally) the city and "capture the portal", which is probably a landmark of some kind that your Ingress app leads you towards.

Like I said, I have no idea what I'm doing, but the storyline behind the game is updated everyday on this site:

http://www.nianticproject.com/

You can rewind the story back to November 1, but it's kind of convoluted and full of cryptic codes and shit. Pretty cool, if you're into shit like that though.

I'm also checking out the wiki page to figure out what I should be doing as well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingress_(game)

I wasn't sure which group to join (Enlightened or Resistance) and I'm not sure if it really matters, but I chose the Enlightened.

ProflyerXM

Not an attention seeker
Sep 16, 2005
Idaho
This is a great idea until we see a string of bus related fatalities involving nerds too preoccupied trying to capture the objective to look up before crossing the street.

"My magic shield of blocking will Prote...." <thud, tire screech>

Barely Legal

Standing on his head
Feb 9, 2006
Vancouver, BC
The best part of this video is when the guy playing the game (while explaining the rules) realizes that he's not alone...

Barely Legal

Standing on his head
Feb 9, 2006
Vancouver, BC
So I've spent the last couple of nights after dinner going out and playing Ingress and I gotta admit... this shit is pretty fucking fun. Until you play it, you don't really know what to expect. I think a lot of it has to do with that MMO feel of shit happening around you whether you're playing or not. The thing is, that shit might be going on a block away, across the street, or even right behind you.

Any other Baggers playing or considering signing up for an invite? If I get any invites from levelling up, would anyone want one? (Just an assumption whether or not I'll ever have Ingress invites to give away)

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
If anyone gets an invite, I will take one.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I'm watching an anime called Robotics;Notes which takes place in 2019 and is full of AR stuff (they all have devices that are halfway between a smartphone and a mini iPad). It actually looks like it would be kinda cool. Doing real world tasks to win in-game rewards and such.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
No way my phone will run this.

Barely Legal

Standing on his head
Feb 9, 2006
Vancouver, BC
i hope a few of these portals pop up at adult book stores.
Earlier today I was bitching to myself that there were barely any of these "portals" near me (you can actually submit gps-camera photos to Ingress to suggest new portals)... the next thing I knew, every location in the city that has a ZipCar lot suddenly had a portal.

The Ingress chat was hilarious as nerds everywhere were suddenly sprinting to every ZipCar location to claim a portal. BTW, the location I was in that I was bitching about lack of portals had 5 show up practically surrounding me. So yeah, I was also running around like a larping faggot grabbing these fucking things, lol

Barely Legal

Standing on his head
Feb 9, 2006
Vancouver, BC
If anyone does happen to get an invite and were wondering which side to choose, be aware that the Enlightened will get first access to Google's "Glasses-like" app portal screener:

It's because there's like way more Resistance faggots playing, obviously

Barely Legal

Standing on his head
Feb 9, 2006
Vancouver, BC
So fucking addicted to this game. I've done more walking around in the past week than I have all month. And a couple of nights ago I started jogging back and forth between portals just so I could farm them. Fuck Wii Fit or any of those virtual "fitness games" that you play in your living room. It's like being a kid again when you can't wait to go outside and play... even if it's fucking freezing or pissing rain outside, I'm still out there.

Just levelled up to level 4 and I'm now able to cause some major disruptions around the city like a cyberpunk terrorist, lol. Fucking fun shit!

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
I just got my invite today. Not sure what the fuck I'm doing, but it's nothing like whatever Bobobie was describing.
Google is going to try and Monetize it somehow, that's all I meant. You're not going to see that in the Beta. Advertising to you about all the businesses you pass while running around the map seems like a no-brainer.

Barely Legal

Standing on his head
Feb 9, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Google is going to try and Monetize it somehow, that's all I meant. You're not going to see that in the Beta. Advertising to you about all the businesses you pass while running around the map seems like a no-brainer.
They already started advertising in this game about a week ago when all the locations for Zipcars became portals. It was actually pretty comical as everyone was running around the city going from Zipcar lot to Zipcar lot. By the end of the week everyone playing the game knew where all the local Zipcars were. Then later in the week a bunch of item drop passcodes were "leaked". It turns out the codes were Zipcar license plates. In this case, I'd say that this integration of advertising within the game worked.

ProflyerXM

Not an attention seeker
Sep 16, 2005
Idaho
I got my invite on Wednesday. I have looked at the training missions. It seems like a rad idea. I think there are exactly 12 people playing in the entire state of Idaho

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
Got invites on both of my gmail accounts tonight. Already hooked in and tried hacking my first portal. Looks like the resistance have been at it in my area for a while, as almost every portal belongs to them and is heavily reinforced.