Google Makes Augmented Reality MMORPG To Play IRL

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
I probably need to read up more on this to understand how it works, but am I right to assume it's not going to work in a town of 10,000 people?

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
I probably need to read up more on this to understand how it works, but am I right to assume it's not going to work in a town of 10,000 people?
You might be surprised. Every local post office and most of the fire departments here are portals.

Hate & Discontent

Finally made my first field tonight....

It lived about 5 minutes before the local level 7+ resistance player with absolutely NO life showed up to destroy it. Fortunately, some of the other enlightened in the area are pretty helpful, so I'm not totally screwed.

All that hacking, deploying, and linking got me to level 2. Maybe soon I can do something on my own.

WhiteHonkyDevil

El hombre de los moleculos!
Well, my town of 11k people has 8 or 9 portals. Unfortunately, I'm still (after more than a month) only level 1 because there isn't a goddamn thing I can do. Everything around here is too high level for me to be able to do anything than hack every once in awhile. My team has everything locked down, so once in awhile I can recharge the decaying shit. ONE time I FINALLY got to link two portals and someone came in and destroyed it the next morning.

Oh, and I have an extra invite if anyone else will actually use it.

Long live the resistance.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Well, my town of 11k people has 8 or 9 portals. Unfortunately, I'm still (after more than a month) only level 1 because there isn't a goddamn thing I can do. Everything around here is too high level for me to be able to do anything than hack every once in awhile. My team has everything locked down, so once in awhile I can recharge the decaying shit. ONE time I FINALLY got to link two portals and someone came in and destroyed it the next morning.

Oh, and I have an extra invite if anyone else will actually use it.

Long live the resistance.
I'd take the invite if you still have it. Like I said not sure what's in my area, but I'm in Sacramento a lot and can use it there.

Hate & Discontent

Did some serious damage today. 2 full fields with a couple extra links for good measure. Made it 3/4ths of the way through level 2, so hopefully I can make 3 by the end of the weekend. There are several players here in the level 6/7/8 range, and they are the ones that usually hold the portals. Until I can get closer to level 5/6, I'm probably going to continue needing help with knocking down resistance controlled portals.

Hate & Discontent

i can't wait until someone is murdered over this!
You might not have long to wait. There is apparently a resistance player in my area that has been stalking and harassing enlightened players. Given Florida's self defense laws, I can see that ending poorly one night when he starts banging on the wrong door.

Barely Legal

Standing on his head
Did some serious damage today. 2 full fields with a couple extra links for good measure. Made it 3/4ths of the way through level 2, so hopefully I can make 3 by the end of the weekend. There are several players here in the level 6/7/8 range, and they are the ones that usually hold the portals. Until I can get closer to level 5/6, I'm probably going to continue needing help with knocking down resistance controlled portals.
I'm almost halfway through level 7 and I take down most of my portals with L5 & L4 weapons and save my L6 & L7 stuff for portals that are clustered together, or when I'm just feeling lazy. I basically walk around until I'm pretty much standing right on top of a level 8 resonator and fire off a few L5's... same thing for L7 reso's, I use L4 xmp's as long as I'm standing right on top of the resonator.

Just make sure you farm the shit out of everything you capture. I like capturing coffee shops that I'll be hanging out at for a bit. I always burn those portals out before moving on. Playing as the underdog, you'll always have to manage your inventory smartly, which is why I attack like a sniper instead of throwing grenades all over the place.

Barely Legal

Standing on his head
I just noticed that you can copy and paste a permalink of your Intel map now ("link" button on upper right of Intel map). So let's see everyone's stomping grounds of where you're playing Ingress.

Here's mine in downtown Vancouver: http://www.ingress.com/intel?ll=49.283099,-123.129464&z=14

Look for Carkeez of the Enlightened making his mark in various places within the area.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Bump!

It's now on iOS... vive la resistance!!!!!

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Been playing for 3 weeks and am at level 8.

I really enjoy it. The game gets me out of the house on slow workdays and I ride around town upgrading.

It's really fucking addictive n

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Bump. Been playing over a year now. This game has been a bit of a life saver for me.

It gets me out of the house on days when I am stuck working from home.

Almost to L16.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Still playing.

New Years Day:

This was from Jan 4th

whiskeyguy

Donator
I might actually give it another shot. When I first tried it, I lived in the sticks and had to drive 20 miles to accomplish anything.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
I might actually give it another shot. When I first tried it, I lived in the sticks and had to drive 20 miles to accomplish anything.
can you give me the town you live in, or nearby? i can pull up the map.

Also, they have finally crowd sourced portal approvals. in the past 2 months there have been roughly 200K new portals globally

whiskeyguy

Donator
can you give me the town you live in, or nearby? i can pull up the map.

Also, they have finally crowd sourced portal approvals. in the past 2 months there have been roughly 200K new portals globally
Well now I live near Sacramento, so there shouldn't be a shortage of activity.