GOP lawmaker calls Hispanic workers ‘wetbacks’

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Oof.

GOP lawmaker calls Hispanic workers ‘wetbacks’

By Chris Moody, Yahoo! News | The Ticket – 2 hrs 58 mins ago

Alaska Rep. Don Young (McClatchy-Tribune)
During a discussion about ongoing challenges to the economy Thursday, Alaska Republican Rep. Don Young referred to Hispanic workers as "wetbacks," an ethnic slur used to describe migrant workers.

“My father had a ranch; we used to have 50-60 wetbacks to pick tomatoes,” Young told Alaska public radio station KRBD. “It takes two people to pick the same tomatoes now. It’s all done by machine.”

The term "wetback" is a pejorative term that has been used to describe workers from Latin American countries who swim across the Rio Grande to reach the United States.

Young's comments come just weeks after the Republican National Committee called for candidates and lawmakers to soften their tone when discussing Hispanic Americans and immigrants in an effort to engage Latino voters after getting only 30 percent of their vote in the 2012 presidential election. Republicans are currently working with Democrats in Congress to shape a comprehensive overhaul of the nation's immigration system, and comments like Young's could serve as a distraction from those bipartisan efforts.

In a statement to the Anchorage Daily News, Young apologized for using the phrase to describe the workers, saying he meant "no disrespect."

"I used a term that was commonly used during my days growing up on a farm in Central California," Young said in the statement. "I know that this term is not used in the same way nowadays and I meant no disrespect."
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/...nic-workers-wetbacks-124131854--politics.html

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I love that they say the term is offensive and then go on to explain exactly what it means. Like "just in case you weren't offended by this because you've never heard it, here's exactly why you should be mad at this guy."

But yeah, what was he thinking? From the quote it almost sounds like he didn't know it was offensive, but I can't possibly believe that's true.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
What's the big deal? Besides of course, the fact that people need to be programmed to be outraged over some terms when white people use them. The guy said that wetbacks worked on his Dad's farm when he was younger. Yet another, in a long list of "derogatory terms" that are off-limits to whites, yet get used regularly by the particular ethnic group, in this instance, they'll typically use the spanish translation: "Los Mojados".

Had he said, "Those wetbacks keep crossing the border and don't belong here." probably would've been more outrageous considering he was referring to those currently here. Not the ones that worked on his dad's farm...probably when it was OK to use that term without opportunistic pigs getting all worked up for the attention.

So absolutely, he should have watched what he said and used a different term since he knew it would've gotten him in trouble. But puhlease...enough of this fake outrage.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
So absolutely, he should have watched what he said and used a different term since he knew it would've gotten him in trouble. But puhlease...enough of this fake outrage.
Sorry. "Wetback" has never been anything but a slur. It's not like calling black people negro or colored. And Mexicans don't affectionately call each other wetback like black people do with nigger. It's an insult to them too. This guy is in politics, he should know better.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Sorry. "Wetback" has never been anything but a slur. It's not like calling black people negro or colored. And Mexicans don't affectionately call each other wetback like black people do with nigger. It's an insult to them too.
Kinda sucks then than the INS called one of their deportation operations...Operation Wetback, huh? And yeah, they're not out in the streets high-fiving each other saying, "Yo, my wetback!", but "Los Mojados" isnt necessarily a slur, yet it means, the wet ones. I've heard that about 3 more times more than the big scary "W" word.

oandapartycock said:
This guy is in politics, he should know better.
Exactly. At least we can agree that he can be counted on to fight for his constituency.

Floyd1977

Nov 1, 2004
In fairness, it could be that he really didn't know what he was saying. I've known some people who've used the term "Coon's age" having no idea of the meaning (but then again, neither do I really, but I know it's racial).

However, you would expect a politician to know better.

Maybe the Republicans need to read "Words Hurt" maybe Ant has a copy lying around somewhere. But seriously, they should send out some kind of "Don't say that, you moron!" memo to these types.

f kane

Known Traffic Menace
Feb 10, 2010
This is the same media mentality that thought nothing when Elizabeth Warren(D) says that she knew she had Indian ancestry be her "high cheekbones". Only a white male can commit such a foul in this cunty P.C. climate.

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
Sorry. "Wetback" has never been anything but a slur. It's not like calling black people negro or colored. And Mexicans don't affectionately call each other wetback like black people do with nigger. It's an insult to them too. This guy is in politics, he should know better.
Wetback was used by young beaners back in the day. I remember using it and other kids in elementary. Then it just got old and I rarely hear anyone using it besides whites trying to be 'insulting'. Spics use mojado to insult each other, which is the only word I've ever seen a beaner get offended by, not sure if it'd be insulting coming from a white. They'll probably just say it wrong.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
This guy is a retard... what politician would say that to the media and think it would be ok?

How can you tell?
I speak Spanish.
Wetback was used by young beaners back in the day. I remember using it and other kids in elementary. Then it just got old and I rarely hear anyone using it besides whites trying to be 'insulting'. Spics use mojado to insult each other, which is the only word I've ever seen a beaner get offended by, not sure if it'd be insulting coming from a white. They'll probably just say it wrong.
It's kinda like how white kids call each other faggot.

Top Bottom