Gordon Ramsey-v-Anthony Bourdain-v-Bobby Flay

NikkorTheMonk

Apr 26, 2005
I hate watching the food channel since theyve taken off the quality chefs and replaced it with shit shows from amatuers who will work for scale rather then going for qualiity.

Bourdain
I've always dug Bourdain. But the thing he lacks on his show is the making of food. He discusses it briefly but does a lot of history of foods and their origins while visiting exotic places and he glances over the preparatioin as other people make it but kinda focuses on the commaraderie of a meal.

Ramsay
Gets in there manly style. F-this, f-that, bullocks, the preparation is the most important part. If you can't stand the heat, and your not willing to learn and adapt, get the fuck out. But i'm totally digging Ramsey. The only thing i knew about the guy was "Hell's Kitchen". Which i really couldnt take much of. But ive been watching his other shows on the BBC and Fox, "Kitchen Nightmares" and "F Word".

Flay
Boy meets grill. This guy is a beast indoors and outdoors. But he takes a lot of shit from other chefs for being commercial. Restaurants in LA, and Vegas on the strips. But he's a killer chef.

Who would win the big throwdown. They can't put these guys in the same room since all of them are owned by different networks. But I thoroughly enjoy watching these shows on the tele. It's just some of the better programming on during the strike that isnt a drama.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
Alton Brown is still good, and even the little girl, whats her name with the talk show now. Her actual cooking show is ok when she has the time to do it.

NikkorTheMonk

Apr 26, 2005
Alton Brown is weird. Kinda like Bill Nye The Science Guy.

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
Feb 18, 2005
in a house
put tom colicchio in there too and you'll have a contest, he's an amazing chef.

AB is great too, i totally agree.
as a matta a fact... i think his show is the best on food network.
it's theconcept of the show "the way things work", but for food tv.

----

as far as the original question/intent of this topic (good one too, btw!)

In a throw down of Tony, Bobby and Gordon...

I think Bobby would win.
2nd place to Gordon
3rd to Tony

thats just my .02, not based on any facts.
i think it would be a great battle, regardless.

it would make for an interesting 2 hour iron chef style match.

the only reason i put tony last, is because i haven't ever seen him cook... and actually out of the three, he is my favorite style and passion for the art of food. but i have no clue if he is a great chef or not.

----

i also love Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern.
that dude kicks ass and appreciates food and what it means to a culture.

NikkorTheMonk

Apr 26, 2005
Good point. Bourdain is the most renound chef youve never seen cook anything.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
We like the Bizarre Foods guy, especially when the hot stuff makes his bald head glow red. He ad libs the whole show and is funny. Bourdain has someone write his stuff and he reads it in later.

Oct 4, 2004
Las Vegas
Ramsay is probably the most refined chef. Him vs. Flay would make a great contest.

Bourdain isn't known as a great chef (though his food is good), he doesn't claim to be, and he doesn't need to be. He's a culinary Hunter Thompson, and he rules.

demonseed

Lingering since 1999
Oct 4, 2004
Morris Plains, New Jersey
Bourdain might suprise you. He is very well trained, and is experienced in many different aspects of cooking. He also has been the head in a few different well respected restaurants in the city. He doesnt do a lot of cooking anymore, but I think he could take Bobby Flay, but not Gordon Ramsey. Flay can only for the most part, cook tex-mex style food. Both Ramsey and Bourdain can cook French, Italian classic, Italian Neuvo, etc.

grail

Tahini sauce in my drawers
Sep 24, 2005
MN
Ramsay is probably the most refined chef. Him vs. Flay would make a great contest.

Bourdain isn't known as a great chef (though his food is good), he doesn't claim to be, and he doesn't need to be. He's a culinary Hunter Thompson, and he rules.
That's it exactly Reaper G. I'm reading his book Nasty Bits right now, I also read Kitchen Confidential. He can't definetly cook, but he doesn't have to now. He teaches his chefs at Las Halles and he gets to travel, eat, and drink. Nice job if you can get it. gleet, Bourdain writes his show with his producer. They do the narration/voice over stuff if they can't get it in the shot initially. (It's in the book)

Bourdain and Ramsay are classiclly french trained. They can definetly cook. I simply don't like Flay on any of his shows. Flay comes off as a pretentious asshole. I really don't like his show throwdown. The people he goes against are the best at what they do because they specialized in making one thing and doing it right. Ohh... here comes another chipotle or smoke anaheim. It's always the same thing.

Ramsay is a fucking monster of a chef. Hands down he would win any contest. Bourdain's skill is in the story telling of food and those that prepare it. That being said they both make great shows in my opinion. No Reservations and Kitchen Nightmares I watch religiously. The thing that I noticed with both shows is it's about taking simple things, having passion for it and doing it right. Anyone can cook a steak but it takes some real talent and art to take something like tripe, sweetbreads, or liver and make into something someone will pay $25 or more a plate .

Andrew Zimmerman is funny on Bizarre Foods. Of course I always laugh when I see him and his fat body trying to move around either in some jungle or the mud. Alton Brown is great with the science and history of cooking. I of course like that.

Myhairygrundle

Screw you guys, I'm going home.
Jul 16, 2005
Texas
I'm reading his book Nasty Bits right now, I also read Kitchen Confidential.
x2

He is a neat fella. I like how he rips on Rachel Ray, Emeril, and he especially hates Rocco DiSpirto and his fucking mother.

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
Feb 18, 2005
in a house
sounds like i gotta read that book.

as i stated before, i just dont know that much about anthony.

they need to take the iron chef concept and make it
good chef a vs good chef b.

i like the iron chefs... a lot, but seeing two chefs who you havent ever heard of battle would be great!

and yeah, who doesnt like Andrews vibe... he is a hoot, if i may ;)

grail

Tahini sauce in my drawers
Sep 24, 2005
MN
x2

He is a neat fella. I like how he rips on Rachel Ray, Emeril, and he especially hates Rocco DiSpirto and his fucking mother.
I got the updated version of Kitchen Confidential. He later met Emeril and realized he can cook as well, it's not some hokey tv persona. The line I remember in the book is that others that have worked for Emeril says he's great to have in a bar fight. Stocky troll-looking portugese guy from mass, I think he could handle himself. I think the episode tonight of No Reservations is in New Orleans and he interviews Emeril, (9:00 psm CST Travel Channel). I also think Tony would have a hard time with an Iron Chef competition in that he couldn't drink and smoke during the filming.

As he states in Nasty Bits, Rocco was in it to be a D list tv guy. He wasn't into being a chef to be a chef.

I have respect for those that truly want to be chefs. Shitty hours, standing all day, poor pay until you get really up there. Shitty customers. Vegetarians. The heat and pressure of the rush hours. I worked in a resturant during college. I had a lot of fun but I knew that I wasn't going to hack it to cook for a living. Made me get my head back on straight to finish my degree and not go to culinary school.

The other guy I like is Micheal Symon. I've eat at Lola in Cleveland. Yummy. Got to love all the wonderful things the man can do with pork.

Rachael Ray is a fat cunt.

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
Bourdain and Ramsay are classiclly french trained. They can definetly cook. I simply don't like Flay on any of his shows. Flay comes off as a pretentious asshole. I really don't like his show throwdown. The people he goes against are the best at what they do because they specialized in making one thing and doing it right. Ohh... here comes another chipotle or smoke anaheim. It's always the same thing.
I agree with your assessment. I personally think that Ramsay could kick Flay's ass in the kitchen.

Palerider4146

The Death Medic
Sep 22, 2002
Hazlet, NJ
I like Bourdain because of his take no prisoners attitude. I will say this though, my brother was a chef at a restaurant across the street from bourdain. The two restaurants used to always help each other out (need some ice, specific bottle of wine, a little pork belly, etc etc)...as soon as Bourdains Kitchen Confidential came out, he started to act like his shit didnt stink, according to my brother that is.

I like Flay, good regular cooking, looking forward trying his restaurants.

I like Ramsey too, but his style of cooking is a bit to refined for me I feel.

My brother says Collichio is a really good chef, and the guy harold from season one from top chef is very similiar.

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
Dec 9, 2004
California
I like Gordon Ramsey. Anthony Bourdain is entertaining as well.

I have a lot of respect for people who can cook because I suck at it.