Got $13,600,000,000.00 Jersey needs it for the Bridges

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
New Jersey has to spend nearly $13.6 billion to bring its 6,447 bridges into good repair, according to a report made to the governor today by the state Department of Transportation.

The $13.58 billion repair bill includes $8 billion needed over the next decade for bridges that fall under the state's jurisdiction, $1.5 billion for those owned by counties and municipalities, and $3.8 billion for bridges on the New Jersey Turnpike, Garden State Parkway and other toll roads.

"All of our bridges are safe today, but our bridges are very old," Gov. Jon Corzine said this afternoon during a press conference in Jersey City. He was joined by DOT officials at a construction site near the approach to the Holland Tunnel at the Route 139 viaduct, which is undergoing $74 million in repairs.

The report includes an assessment of the state's bridge conditions, as well as current repair and replacement projects. Corzine asked for the study after the deadly collapse of a Minneapolis highway bridge in August.

"Maintaining the structural integrity of New Jersey's bridges is critical to our safety, quality of life and economic vitality," DOT Commissioner Kris Kolluri said in a statement. "The Final Bridge Report and Capital Investment Analysis provides a blueprint to improve infrastructure investment planning in order to ensure the continued safety of our bridges."

mik3

fornicating madly
Mar 29, 2004
732 Jersey
Well, Kevin Smith gave 30k for the Highlands bridge!

fuckwit

He loves you, and he needs money.
Jul 27, 2006
jersey
yeh sure no problem. me and the other 5 houses on my block will cover it in property taxes.
if thats not enough dip into the parking authority money

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
I can't wait to see HT comments in the AM.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
anyone wondering why they fell in to such disrepair?

Jersey roads have been horrible for years.

mik3

fornicating madly
Mar 29, 2004
732 Jersey
Maybe things wouldn't cost so much if it doesn't seem like it's going to take 10 years to finally finish the Raritan river crossings.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
Maybe things wouldn't cost so much if it doesn't seem like it's going to take 10 years to finally finish the Raritan river crossings.
I'd like to hear your solution. Would you like fries with your 3 high bridges?

mik3

fornicating madly
Mar 29, 2004
732 Jersey
I'd like to hear your solution. Would you like fries with your 3 high bridges?
Call me crazy but there was so much time, in my opinion, that no work was being done.

When the first half of the victory bridge went up it was like nothing was done for a bit till they started the other half. Same with the Route 9 bridge(s)

Creampier

I have to return some videotapes!
May 11, 2007
Somerville, NJ
Those Route 9 Edison bridges are a lot better than the old ones. I just think it looks goofy that they don't have the same arc as the Parkway ones that run parallel to them.

The New Victory Bridge is the goofiest thing I've ever driven on. That was real fun getting over the massive incline on that fucker in that ice storm last February!!

What this money needs to go to is the Pulaski Skyway-Holland Tunnel Connector (NJ 139). I have no idea how that thing hasn't crumbled to shit by now!!! They built it during the Coolidge administration and I don't think it's had any maintenance since then!

mik3

fornicating madly
Mar 29, 2004
732 Jersey
And the way the new Victory bridge takes that random turn is quite fun.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
work slowed on the Rt 9 bridge, but it didn't stop. The arc may look weird, but it's more efficient than the Driscoll. I think the reason things looked slow was because of the underwater bedding.

As for the Victory, I have no idea why they made it so damn high.. nothing going under it but a tug pushing a gas barge.. that turn is funny when you look at it from teh water. I'm figuring that some twit engineer/architect was trying to be fancy. That bridge actually went up pretty quick for a new span.

As for the time w/o maintenance... nothing was getting done in this state for some time unless the 'right' people got paid. Pat Kean on the back. This state was such a shithole 10 years ago.

Take a ride through rahway on rt 1/9. they've been 'building' that overpass through for almost 6 years now.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
Is the New Victory Bridge the rt 35 one to the right (looking north) of the Driscoll/Rt 9 bridges? I always laugh at that little swerve. Looks like an engineer or two might have fucked up.

As for the bridges, start cutting expenses. Can we cut $13.6 billion in epxenses? Probably not, but I bet we could put a decent dent in it. If they raise the tolls I will be one more person on Rt 35 south at 5:30, trying to avoid the Asbury Toll Plaza.

Edit: Kasey & Rossi (101.5) had me laughing last week. They were talking about the monetization plan and the toll increases, and how that would lead to more vehicles on local roads to avoid the tolls. Kasey's conclusion? Corzine wants to kill your kids. :)

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
That's the one.. used to be a decrepit flat bridge. In worse shape than the Skyway.

A few friends of mine are iron workers. I'll ask them about the 'turn' in the new span.. From what I can see, there must have been estate issues with the old cinema?

This state cut expenses? The only thing we cut are results.

mik3

fornicating madly
Mar 29, 2004
732 Jersey
Very true about Rahway, just like the rt35 former circle I have no idea how it was supposed to turn out. When I used to have to go to Rahway a lot it pretty much was a crap shoot which way you'd have to go through there.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
That's the one.. used to be a decrepit flat bridge. In worse shape than the Skyway.

A few friends of mine are iron workers. I'll ask them about the 'turn' in the new span.. From what I can see, there must have been estate issues with the old cinema?

This state cut expenses? The only thing we cut are results.
From my vantage point (the GSP) it looks like the two sides of the bridge didn't line up correctly, so they squiggled it a little. I wouldn't expect anything less from our fine state. Of course, it could have something to do with the footings & the soil/bedrock.

It's a bummer that I can't find the "search" fucntion on Weird NJ.com. I thought for sure they'd explain it.