Got a new Ford Explorer

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
So work today finally came through. After having to put up with a shitty F-150 on it's last legs (transmission was replaced and was dying again, and something was wrong in the engine where it would randomly lose power on the highway), they told me to go pick up my new Explorer at the dealership. 2013 XLT. This thing is miles apart from the old pickup, even though I'm still getting used to the bells and whistles. About the only thing I find annoying so far is the turn signal switch. When did cars switch to this "soft" switch to activate the signals? There's no "feel" for the turn signal being on, and turning it off (after a lane change or whatever) you need to push it back the other way, but not too far or you'll turn it on again. That's going to take some getting used to.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Any truth to the rumor that you have to pay a 40% "OMG, you just bought a gas guzzler!" California state tax? Just remember to get regular tune-ups and keep the tires inflated. :icon_cool

Have fun with it. I really like the new body style on the Explorers. I don't like the '13 Escapes...they look like an older RAV4 to me. But I've got an '08 Explorer, and that and my old 2003 Explorer have been two of my favorite SUVs/trucks that I've driven/owned.

Do you that Ford MyTouch, or Sync, or whatever it's called?

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
Any truth to the rumor that you have to pay a 40% "OMG, you just bought a gas guzzler!" California state tax? Just remember to get regular tune-ups and keep the tires inflated. :icon_cool

Have fun with it. I really like the new body style on the Explorers. I don't like the '13 Escapes...they look like an older RAV4 to me. But I've got an '08 Explorer, and that and my old 2003 Explorer have been two of my favorite SUVs/trucks that I've driven/owned.

Do you that Ford MyTouch, or Sync, or whatever it's called?
Company is handling the cash. They just give me the keys

I wasn't sold on the new body style of the Exp's but they've grown on me. I agree, the new Escapes are ugly, very Honda CRV-ish. It does seem really wide, but the turning radius is remarkable. The U-turn I need to take for work I used to scrape the tires of my F-150, now this thing will almost swing right into the left lane. The backup camera is a nice touch too.

It's got the Sync, controlled through a touch screen. So far it just seems to be a Bluetooth phone connection thingy, havent had a chance to play around with it too much.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I really like Explorers, they're the only type of car I've owned. Bought a 1992 Explorer when I was 16 (in 1999), and in 2007 I got a great deal on an '04 Explorer. My mom's work allows employees to buy out the lease on their company vehicles... so I grabbed a very well-maintained Explorer for $5,000 below blue book.

She also just got a new Explorer this year, probably a lot like yours Mayr. If I can make my '04 last a few more years, I might consider buying hers (the deal is too good to pass up), although I want to buy a truck next year so we'll see how much that sets me back.

5skin

May 14, 2010
the woods
Those things are great for camping, you can really pack a lot in them.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I like the new Explorer. It's really grown on me. I wasn't sold on the whole unibody car-based concept at first.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
About the only thing I find annoying so far is the turn signal switch. When did cars switch to this "soft" switch to activate the signals? There's no "feel" for the turn signal being on, and turning it off (after a lane change or whatever) you need to push it back the other way, but not too far or you'll turn it on again. That's going to take some getting used to.
That started with euro cars a few years ago. Seems to be catching on with
all the manufacturers now. You'll get used to it but it does seem odd at first.
I like the new Explorer. It's really grown on me. I wasn't sold on the whole unibody car-based concept at first.
Unibody's are fine as long as you don't plow them too hard.
Tough getting a good body shop to straighten one out properly
after a good whack. Otherwise, they're fine. A little more road
noise than a full frame chassis but they've even gotten better on that.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
well at least you didn't have to pay for a ford.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
So work today finally came through. After having to put up with a shitty F-150 on it's last legs (transmission was replaced and was dying again, and something was wrong in the engine where it would randomly lose power on the highway), they told me to go pick up my new Explorer at the dealership. 2013 XLT. This thing is miles apart from the old pickup, even though I'm still getting used to the bells and whistles. About the only thing I find annoying so far is the turn signal switch. When did cars switch to this "soft" switch to activate the signals? There's no "feel" for the turn signal being on, and turning it off (after a lane change or whatever) you need to push it back the other way, but not too far or you'll turn it on again. That's going to take some getting used to.
luckily you live in kalifornia, no one uses turn signals here anymore anyway, not even the cops

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
luckily you live in kalifornia, no one uses turn signals here anymore anyway, not even the cops
I try to be good about it, but you're right, it's usually optional. Nowhere near as bad as Northwest Florida when I lived there. Plank can probably confirm that.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I try to be good about it, but you're right, it's usually optional. Nowhere near as bad as Northwest Florida when I lived there. Plank can probably confirm that.

That's one of my pet peeves. If a flick of your wrist is enough to prevent an accident even once in your life, do it every time. Not to mention it's just courteous and saves on brake wear and fuel consumption from people having to slow down & accelerate suddenly.

Dikbag

Dec 11, 2004
NW Ohio
That started with euro cars a few years ago. Seems to be catching on with
all the manufacturers now. You'll get used to it but it does seem odd at first.

Unibody's are fine as long as you don't plow them too hard.
Tough getting a good body shop to straighten one out properly
after a good whack. Otherwise, they're fine. A little more road
noise than a full frame chassis but they've even gotten better on that.
Not sure if this is unique to the Ridgeline or not but it has a ladder frame/unibody hybrid construction that Honda claims has 2.5 times the ball rigidity and 20 times the torsional rigidity than a traditional ladder frame. Whatever that means.