Got the 360 Red Light Tease

Salem

Midgets = funny
Jul 3, 2006
Buh Buh Buh Boston
Switched it on today and got a tease. The 4o'clock quadrant was lit up red and there was japanese writing on the screen and the only thing in english was to call tech support. Shut it off and restarted and its been fine since. Was quite a scare. Happen to any1 else?

Monstercloud

Feb 15, 2005
NH
Had this happen to me once as i tried to start up my GH2 game. Hasn't happened again since.

BlackNinja

How'd your parents die?
Jan 25, 2006
Miami
I had one last week. The power went out for like half a second, the lights dimmed for a second, then came back, and i got the red lights, no problem since.

Slayback

The Host has removed you from the game.
Nov 13, 2006
Fucking Texas
I've had that happen too. What code did it give you? At the bottom it should have said something like E 68. You can look this code up and see what the problem is. Mine was HD related.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
It's a piece of shit
I know that you have experienced it for yourself but most 360 owners for some reason refuse to believe the problems or they put up with it like an abused wife.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
I posted in the last 360 thread a link to the quadrant codes. Fuck it if I ain't too lazy to go back and look it up right now.

Deadbent

You can go fuck.
Aug 19, 2005
Chicago, IL. Southside, stupid.
dunno what quadrant you're referring to, exactly. Hopefully the correct one, I just had to double check.

That's how they appear and are numbered.

If it's 4 that lit up red on you when it powered up, and after cycling the power or resetting the console, it was fine.
Don't worry.
While technically it COULD mean one of 8 or 9 hardware failures (as mentioned in the 360 error code guide) from my experience with them it only occurs from two things, and two things alone.

Out of 30 or so xboxes I've diagnosed with this problem, about 90% of them had the 4th quadrant lit from an a/v cable problem.
The others had a loose or misfitted harddrive.

The a/v cable problem happens once in a while on the 3rd revision of consoles (circa may 06-dec-06) Rarely is it an actual hardware problem inside the box. (Like the video encoder burning out or frying)

The fix is usually simple enough.

First try the a/v cable. Is it snugly fitting? Loose? Unplug it from the back of the box, cycle and toggle the hd/standard def selector and plug it back in to your box.

If that doesn't work. Check your hard drive. Is it flushly mounted? Is it loose, snapped in correctly? Remove it, and put it back on correctly.

If you STILL run into the problem, you might actually be looking at your video encoder being fucked up inside the system.
(again, that's pretty out of the ordinary for me to see)

Just don't start shitting just yet.

T

The NoVA Kid

I just got the 3 lights of death......im fucked

Warfarer

I can't think of anything funny.
Jun 20, 2005
Alabama
I have not had a problem with mine yet, but I have one friend who has got two of them in the repair center right now. He burnt one, sent it off and went and bought an elite and burnt it up too. Another friend of mine has 3 in the repair center, two elites and a premium.

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005
I got a refurb from MS when mine died, but they gave me one that scratches discs, fucking lovely

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
Another friend of mine has 3 in the repair center, two elites and a premium.
That can't be true because "Elite" means it's the best. The best can't fail, much less two of them.

I wish I hadn't bought a reliable PS3 and picked up a 360 so I could join in all of the fun with replacement and UPS package tennis with Microsoft.

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005
Awesome buddy. The 360 is the BEST!!! :action-sm
never said it was the best ass:action-sm

I love it as much as my PS3, although I'm relearning how great PC gaming is again, consoles are fading a bit

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
Chances are by the time everyone gets their 360's back, You'll have loaded that first level of Rainbow Six. :D
Well sloppy game programming for a copy-paste job isn't my fault. My friends who also have Rainbow Six agree that it sucks dick on the PS3 because EA/Ubisoft are lazy faggots who put in the least amount of effort as possible in order to sell a couple more games.

They had six months to make it work but they cut corners as EA games is known to do. They suck dick and that's the end of the story.

The online gameplay sucks and it's not PSNs problem because I have played shooters online from other game makers and they work flawlessly. The problem lies with EA/Ubisoft.

counterpunch

must not sleep / must warn others
Jun 25, 2006
Cape Cod
Happened to me a few weeks ago. I quickly turned it off then back on and it was fine. Hasn't happened since.

Chlorofirm

Aug 26, 2002
cleveland
So my 360 did the same thing yesterday. Wouldn't play a HD-DVD, guitar hero would freeze within 5 seconds of starting a song, the system was taking a LONG time to boot up, etc. Then finally, I got the three red ring flashes. Well, about a hour later I was able to play guitar hero for a hour or so. I left the the thing running all night too at the dashboard and it was okay. I just played another hour of guitar hero and it was alright.

I bought a warranty at micro center, but its another shitty mail in your system type of deal (bought the system last November). This system really is a piece of shit, I've never had a console fail on me before. I only bought it last November. Other then the occasional session of guitar hero, all this 360 has had to do for the past 6 months was play one or two hd-dvds a week.

Anyways, with Halo 3 so close, I really don't want to send it in, knowing it'll be gone for at least a month (and I've read as long as 6 weeks). Any ideas? It only flashed the 3 red lights once, and never again after that. I made sure all the connection were tight and let it sit unplugged for awhile.