BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Graduation requirement would require students to apply to college
Posted: Oct 08, 2013 7:43 PM PST Updated: Oct 8, 2013 07:47 PM
By FOX 12 Staff - email
CORBETT, OR (KPTV) -
An Oregon school district wants to set a new graduation requirement for students to get their diplomas.

Students would be required to get accepted to a college or trade school.

The principal of Corbett High School says the students wouldn't have to follow through and attend the school - he simply wants this to be a lesson in the application process.

If a student can't afford any application fees, the school has grants that will cover the cost.

The new requirement would start with the graduating class of 2017.

The school board will hold a final vote on the measure in two months, but it is expected to pass.

More information about the plan is posted on the Corbett School District website.
http://www.kptv.com/story/23642324/graduation-requirement-would-require-students-to-apply-to-college

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Seems to be a ploy to boost their schools reputation with inflated numbers. A fraud is a fraud.

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
We need to just start calling college grades 13-16.

FellowTraveler

Frank Reynolds is my hero
Jul 24, 2005
Yes, lets keep up the myth that you have to go to college.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
what if they want to enlist in the military?
From the school district website:

EVERY Student A Choice: Graduation Requirements at Corbett High School
September 19, 2013 By Randy Trani
EVERY Student A Choice: Graduation Requirements at Corbett High School

When a student graduates from Corbett High School what we want to give EVERY one of them is the choice to follow a path of their choosing, either right at that moment, or a few years down the line.

Some type of choices we want available to students include going straight into the workforce, entering the military, going to a four year university, joining a trade school, or getting into a two year program like Mt. Hood Community College. We also want students to be able to make that initial “just out of high school choice” and then switch horses a year or more down the line. We want a student to decide they are going to travel the world, go directly to work, or become and Oregon Duck/Beaver and then change their minds after they have spent some time exploring the big wide world of adulthood.

To make sure we give EVERY student a choice we need to be very deliberate about the expectations we hold for students. Our goal is to set expectations that will give students maximum choice. To that end we have a long history of setting expectations for students that give them choices when they graduate. The following is a list of some of the expectations we hold for Corbett graduates that keep doors open for them after they leave Corbett High School.

• More required fine arts than the state minimum for EVERY Student.

• More required English courses than the state minimum for EVERY Student.

• More required math courses than the state minimum for EVERY Student.

• More required second language courses than the state minimum for EVERY Student.

• More required social studies course than the state minimum for EVERY Student.

• Advanced Placement courses offered to EVERY student.

• PSAT test provided for EVERY 10th grade student.

• SAT tests provided for EVERY 11th grade student.

• College visitations offered to EVERY 11th grade student.

• Target intervention for EVERY student who is credit deficient or at risk of not-graduating.

• Provide SAT fee waivers and College Admission fee waivers to EVERY student who meets financial guidelines.
This year we are offering more services to students to support their career/college choices after graduation.

• Career/college counseling for EVERY 11th and 12th grade student.

• SAT test preparation for EVERY 11th and 12th grade student.

• Increased access to technology for EVERY student who would benefit academically.

• EVERY 9th grade student is being supported by a team of staff members to eliminate ALL non-passing grades.

• EVERY credit deficient student was offered support through a free summer school program.
Link/More

steve500

Oct 20, 2008
35,000 ft
I don't think more English and social studies classes will help anyone who doesn't want to be a teacher. All the classes in the world can't convince people that ask isn't pronounced ax.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
i noticed that "backpacking around europe to find yourself" isn't one of the post graduation things they want students to do.
My cousin did it... came back to university... and she just got her second masters last year...

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
I think she is working on her PHD in education so she can like a principal or something now...

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
A professional student. How nice.
No she actually worked but I guess teaching gives you a lot more flexibility time wise... oh she did the trip in India actually and when she came back she planted trees waaaaaaaay the fuck up in Northern Ontario.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
No she actually worked but I guess teaching gives you a lot more flexibility time wise... oh she did the trip in India actually and when she came back she planted trees waaaaaaaay the fuck up in Northern Ontario.

If she theoretical had relations with an underage student, would she be guilty or not.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Getting accepted to college is contingent upon graduating high school. Graduating high school is contingent upon getting accepted to college.

Paging Capt Yossarian.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
i noticed that "backpacking around europe to find yourself" isn't one of the post graduation things they want students to do.
"We want a student to decide they are going to travel the world,.."