Graphics card for an old Pizza Box Machine

Bobobie

Picked this up it's off lease.

Dell Optiplex 9010 SFF i5-3470 3.20GHz 4GB 500GB Win 10 Pro 1

I've seen some Youtube videos of people using this rig for gaming on full settings with a 1050 card.
I have a shitty 23 inch Dell Monitor that's only 1080P so think I can cheap out even more than that. Any suggestions on video card? I've not bought a gaming card in years.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Picked this up it's off lease.

Dell Optiplex 9010 SFF i5-3470 3.20GHz 4GB 500GB Win 10 Pro 1

I've seen some Youtube videos of people using this rig for gaming on full settings with a 1050 card.
I have a shitty 23 inch Dell Monitor that's only 1080P so think I can cheap out even more than that. Any suggestions on video card? I've not bought a gaming card in years.

What do you mean by “full settings”?

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Screw gaming... That would make a great pfSense box. :)

Those don't have much in the way of a PSU... I support a bunch of those Optiplex units at work. I don't know what that could really handle power wise. I'm pretty sure you need a low-profile card also, but it's been a while since I cracked one open.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Screw gaming... That would make a great pfSense box. :)

Those don't have much in the way of a PSU... I support a bunch of those Optiplex units at work. I don't know what that could really handle power wise. I'm pretty sure you need a low-profile card also, but it's been a while since I cracked one open.

I still wanna know what “full settings” he’s talking about. Maybe for 900x600 Minesweeper?

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Exactly.

That thing has like a 240w PSU.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
That video is for a 9010 tower.

The machine in question is a 9010 SFF which takes a goofy proprietary power supply.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
All good. He might be able to run a 1050 or lesser card off the 240w PSU.

The most common failures I've had with these Dell SFF units are the power supplies and the Seagate 2.5" hard drives shitting the bed.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
All good. He might be able to run a 1050 or lesser card off the 240w PSU.

The most common failures I've had with these Dell SFF units are the power supplies and the Seagate 2.5" hard drives shitting the bed.

I see there are 400w slim power supplies available. I'm not sure if that gets you anything.

Bobobie

What do you mean by “full settings”?
Graphic settings. Beyond what my old 1080P monitor can do. That's why I was figuring I could go even lower end than a 1050. However, I've no idea what my options are. The last gaming card I bought was an Nvidia 560 in a Tower. I've been checking out builds people have done putting the guts in full size cases. might try that.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Graphic settings. Beyond what my old 1080P monitor can do. That's why I was figuring I could go even lower end than a 1050. However, I've no idea what my options are. The last gaming card I bought was an Nvidia 560 in a Tower. I've been checking out builds people have done putting the guts in full size cases. might try that.
What kinda games you think you’ll be playing with that calculator?

Bobobie

What kinda games you think you’ll be playing with that calculator?
Any AAA game I want. I've seen the FPS and Hardware Temps and they were decent.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
I see there are 400w slim power supplies available. I'm not sure if that gets you anything.
I found them for the other slim Optiplex models like the 790 and 990 but didn't see any for the 9010.

I saw a thread on reddit that says the GTX 750i is perfect for these.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
I found them for the other slim Optiplex models like the 790 and 990 but didn't see any for the 9010.

I saw a thread on reddit that says the GTX 750i is perfect for these.

Are parts interchangeable though?

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Are parts interchangeable though?
I found a listing on Amazon that indicates that at least the PSU is interchangeable. I saw something on reddit that says a 1050i will work with the 240w PSU as long as the CPU is 95W or less. The i5-3470 is 77W so it should be good.

Back when the Geforce cards were 6XX series I had a 660ti that could play anything new at that time on "full" at 1080p. This was also a full size card that likely would have not worked with 240 watt PSU.

Bobobie

I found a listing on Amazon that indicates that at least the PSU is interchangeable. I saw something on reddit that says a 1050i will work with the 240w PSU as long as the CPU is 95W or less. The i5-3470 is 77W so it should be good.
I thought I had the next size up with the regular CPU fan and Heatsink, but it has mostly laptop parts. I still could make it work with a case swap, but the GPU slot is locked to 50 watts. The youtube demos were not using the SFF version for sure. I still can find a use for it. It only cost gas go get it. I'll just get a $30 Fanless GPU off Amazon.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
I thought I had the next size up with the regular CPU fan and Heatsink, but it has mostly laptop parts. I still could make it work with a case swap, but the GPU slot is locked to 50 watts. The youtube demos were not using the SFF version for sure. I still can find a use for it. It only cost gas go get it. I'll just get a $30 Fanless GPU off Amazon.
Yep. That's what I thought you had. The ones I deal with at work have laptop RAM, HDD, and the other stuff is oddball proprietary Dell gear. They are good for their intended purpose and as I mentioned, make a great pfSense box.

Bobobie

Yep. That's what I thought you had. The ones I deal with at work have laptop RAM, HDD, and the other stuff is oddball proprietary Dell gear. They are good for their intended purpose and as I mentioned, make a great pfSense box.
There is actually a next size smaller 9010 USFF that would be good for something like that. There seems to be a lot of support for turning these into Hackintoshs, so I might try that instead. You have to get an AMD card, no support for Nividia.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
There is actually a next size smaller 9010 USFF that would be good for something like that.
Negative. The USFF version has no expansion slots. You need to install an Intel-based dual or quad-port NIC that's on the hardware compatibility list for FreeBSD. The onboard NIC is probably Broadcom or Realtek which is no-bueno, plus you need a minimum of two ethernet ports (WAN and LAN).

I've heard about people using those for Hackintosh stuff, which isn't a bad idea.

stellarcomics

I have a 2gb Nvidia 730 graphic card I’ll sell you for $50. Tried to install on my hackintosh, no go. Works perfectly with windows.

This one:

Bobobie