Graphics card for an old Pizza Box Machine

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
I have one of those on my living room television. Basically only good as a replacement for the Roku box and added internet functionality. The fucking tiny assed HD was damn near full right out of the box and a few torrented Dr. Who eps and it was full.

Bobobie

I have one of those on my living room television. Basically only good as a replacement for the Roku box and added internet functionality. The fucking tiny assed HD was damn near full right out of the box and a few torrented Dr. Who eps and it was full.
I'm still not giving up on the gaming angle. I'm going to try hooking up an ATX power supply externally and see if it will power a graphics card. The power connectors on the motherboard are regular sized 24 pin and a 4 pin.

I'm still using a single core Nividia Ion Net-Top for aKodi Box. It runs windows like shit, but it's a great Media Box. I put bigger 2.5 inch HD in and I've been using it for temporary network storage.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
I'm still not giving up on the gaming angle. I'm going to try hooking up an ATX power supply externally and see if it will power a graphics card. The power connectors on the motherboard are regular sized 24 pin and a 4 pin.

I'm still using a single core Nividia Ion Net-Top for aKodi Box. It runs windows like shit, but it's a great Media Box. I put bigger 2.5 inch HD in and I've been using it for temporary network storage.
Why don't you run Linux on your net-top? It's much more forgiving of weak hardware specs than Windows ever was.

Bobobie

Why don't you run Linux on your net-top? It's much more forgiving of weak hardwaspecs than Windows ever was.
Everything available for it is legacy versions, even Linux or Openelec. It runs like dogshit running Kodi on top of any OS even Linux. That's why I run Openelc on an SD card. You can't get any lighter on the hardware than this.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator

Dude, you won’t be running any modern AAA games at highest settings with that anyway. Maybe 10 year old games.

Bobobie

After some research on some tech sites, a Reddit thread ... it's possible to put it in an ATX case. It's has standard (u)atx mounting holes and rear plate, the shape is non-standard, it is a bit longer than a micro or ATX board on the side with the power connector and PCI-E slot. It seems like less of a headache to leave it inside it's old case and just swap the power supply. If it works real well I'll consider putting it inside another case.

Bobobie

Found a second hand GTX 1050 TI. From the tech threads it seems that the 50w limit is no problem for the 9010 SFF.

This is an HP, but it's basically the same specs as my machine with the 1050 as a graphics card.
The settings are on ultra and the GPU is maxed out. I'd probably lower it to high settings and if might move everything into another box if heat becomes an issue.

Bobobie

Someone had the same idea I had, but don't think you need to cut the sides off the case. Same model, 9010 SFF.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
So one of these pieces of shit I support at work had the HDD crap out. It was a Seagate drive, so it's to be expected.

Our new guy swapped out the entire PC instead of just the HDD. The PC he put in died after less than a week. It was used, so this is also not unexpected. They only use these things for web portal access, so there's no real desire to replace them with something better.

Bobobie

So one of these pieces of shit I support at work had the HDD crap out. It was a Seagate drive, so it's to be expected.

Our new guy swapped out the entire PC instead of just the HDD. The PC he put in died after less than a week. It was used, so this is also not unexpected. They only use these things for web portal access, so there's no real desire to replace them with something better.
That is pretty dumb. I just swapped the same size drive in this Optiplex with an SSD for only $30. Tech support should only hire guys who like to build PC's.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator

When a drive dies, do you just image up a fresh drive? When we had platter drives we used to do that, but we don't have a large supply of SSD's in stock, so sometimes busting out a new machine is more convenient/economical than scrounging around for an SSD to pop in the case, especially since we're no longer allowing platter drives to be deployed. Existing machines with the platters we just wait for to die, or when we finally declare Win 7 no longer supported by our IT. Once that happens, I'm expecting a mass migration to 10. That's gonna be fun. I remember when we had a mix of Win2K and XP boxes, and had to migrate to 7. That was hundreds and hundreds of migrations per campus. Oof.

At least with 7, you could image in a donor machine of the same specs, then transfer to the machine being migrated. Not so with 10.

Bobobie

When a drive dies, do you just image up a fresh drive? When we had platter drives we used to do that, but we don't have a large supply of SSD's in stock, so sometimes busting out a new machine is more convenient/economical than scrounging around for an SSD to pop in the case, especially since we're no longer allowing platter drives to be deployed. Existing machines with the platters we just wait for to die, or when we finally declare Win 7 no longer supported by our IT. Once that happens, I'm expecting a mass migration to 10. That's gonna be fun. I remember when we had a mix of Win2K and XP boxes, and had to migrate to 7. That was hundreds and hundreds of migrations per campus. Oof.

At least with 7, you could image in a donor machine of the same specs, then transfer to the machine being migrated. Not so with 10.
Our machines at my last job all had the same disk image, because they were all the same makes and models. All the machines were simply known by their port numbers. Nothing was saved locally, your user files, documents, everything was on the network.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Our machines at my last job all had the same disk image, because they were all the same makes and models. All the machines were simply known by their port numbers. Nothing was saved locally, your user files, documents, everything was on the network.
Same with ours. We have a base image that goes on every machine, and then whatever department specific software they need is installed before deployment. All their files and folders are redirected to a network share.

Our only problem is when our security department starts fucking around with their compliance software and suddenly an entire department can't reach a website or use a piece of software because the site or program is blocked by the intrusion software. Such a pain in the ass, because the fuckers never tell us when they're about to do that. Nor do they test their shit before deploying.

At least a couple of times a year we get one of those emergencies. Then it's a matter of troubleshooting for hours only to find out that they blocked it by accident.

Fuckers.

Bobobie

Didn't foresee this problem. All the parts to test my idea arrived so went to assemble it and the power connector was in the way of the GPU. I went to that website to see how the redneck gamer got his to work. I'm not willing to chop up my nice used/new 1050ti so I ordered a Riser cable off Amazon. I'll have to wait a few more days.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
That is pretty dumb. I just swapped the same size drive in this Optiplex with an SSD for only $30. Tech support should only hire guys who like to build PC's.
I agree. I scolded him for it. For a while, we didn't stock the 2.5" laptop drives so we had to just swap it out. But now, we do. 90% of the time we get a ticket for one of these it's a bad hard drive. Once in a while you get one that just won't power on.

We reimage the device via Landesk after popping in a new drive. It's set and forget. I can kick off the job and split, as it's a fully automated process.

These machines are just used to access web-based stuff like email, documentation, and training materials. Nothing is stored locally.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
I agree. I scolded him for it. For a while, we didn't stock the 2.5" laptop drives so we had to just swap it out. But now, we do. 90% of the time we get a ticket for one of these it's a bad hard drive. Once in a while you get one that just won't power on.

We reimage the device via Landesk after popping in a new drive. It's set and forget. I can kick off the job and split, as it's a fully automated process.

These machines are just used to access web-based stuff like email, documentation, and training materials. Nothing is stored locally.
That's how we do it now as well. Base image via LD, and then add software, usually also through LD. Sure, we could probably queue up the jobs, but I rarely know what specific shit they're gonna need until I'm about to swap it out.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
That's how we do it now as well. Base image via LD, and then add software, usually also through LD. Sure, we could probably queue up the jobs, but I rarely know what specific shit they're gonna need until I'm about to swap it out.
We have images for everything on LD. Almost all are 100% automated. A few we need to make some tweaks after. Main server is an absolute clusterfuck. They are working on it, but right now it's several hours to restore one of those if the RAID fails.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
We have images for everything on LD. Almost all are 100% automated. A few we need to make some tweaks after. Main server is an absolute clusterfuck. They are working on it, but right now it's several hours to restore one of those if the RAID fails.

We just upgraded LD from 10 to 11, and for a week we couldn't image anything that needed UEFI boot. LD wouldn't recognize it. I guess someone did something behind the scenes though, because one day we were told "Try it now". And it worked.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
It's actually Ivanti for us now. One legacy device is still under LD 9.x just because it wasn't worth migrating. Device is going be EOL by June.

Bobobie

The 400w power supply didn't work, the Power button flashed like there was a fault. Plugged in the 240W Power Supple and it boots up, The fans on the GPU don't run at all in desktop Mode. I'm downloading Fallout 4 to try it.

Bobobie

I don't think I needed the riser cable to be this long, but sure came in handy. It actually sat there quite nicely, I was just worried it would kink at that angle.

The 400w power supply didn't work, the Power button flashed like there was a fault. Plugged in the 240W Power Supple and it boots up, The fans on the GPU don't run at all in desktop Mode. I'm downloading Fallout 4 to try it.

That's the case you should have used, the VCR.

Bobobie

Played Fallout 4 on High Settings 1080P, Witcher on 1080P Ultra. All looked amazing. Witcher on Ultra was very playable, but I would notice and occasional skip which I assumed was a frame drop so dropped it back to High settings. Total investment was $140, $20 wasted on that PSU. I'm not going to put it inside another Case. I'm going to keep an eye out for another 9010 only a DT instead of SFF. Stick the GPU in that, use the SFF as a new Kodi-PC box. Until then I'll just play with the GPU on the VCR.