OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Guillermo Del Toro Developing Manga/Anime "Monster" for HBO

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Neon, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Ho-ly shit. I am nearly done with the anime and this is fucking genius. One of the best suspense thrillers I've ever seen in any medium.

Falldog

2. DiggerNick

DiggerNick Well-Known Member
    Donator

The only bad thing about Guillermo Del Toro is that there is only one of him.

He has so many amazing projects that will never get made. I've read a bunch of scripts to movies that he has been attached to and it makes me sad that he'll likely not make them.

I can't fucking wait for PACIFIC RIM. If anyone can make a great movie out of such a retarded concept it's him.

3. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Seems like he'll only direct the pilot and then serve as exec producer. And I can't wait for Pacific Rim as well, and I don't think it's a retarded concept at all. Giant mecha vs. Giant monster? That's just plain awesome.

4. DiggerNick

Donator

It is an awesome idea but you can imagine a truly retarded movie being made from it if it was directed by anyone else but Del Toro.

I'm still gutted he never got to make THE HOBBIT. I imagine it would have been a much tighter movie had he done it because he was definitely only going to do two movies.

Steve McQueen likes this.
  5. Falldog

Falldog Wackbag's Best Conservative
    Donator

I suppose I should get around to reading the manga. I watched a bit of the anime but never got into it.

6. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Takes a while to get going, but once it does... Oh man. I'm 5 away from the end right now and this thing is a tour de force. I find myself in awe of each episode in itself. The writing is just superb. I started watching it back when it was new but it wasn't the kind of anime I was watching. You gotta think of this more like an HBO drama (which is why I think it'll work well as one).

7. DiggerNick

Donator

I remember Guillermo was also making a video game. I assume it was cancelled because its been probably a couple of years since I've heard about it.

Did you guys know that whoever directs the pilot episode of a show gets royalties from every episode after that, regardless of whether they direct them or not. That's why there are so many top Hollywood directors who do pilots. If the show goes on and does well it's free money for them.