Guillermo del Toro's 'Pacific Rim' Forcibly Converting to 3D ☄ 7/12/2013

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Guillermo del Toro's 'Pacific Rim' Forcibly Converting to 3D

September 13, 2012 / 3d, guillermo del toro, movie, news, pacific rim, warner bros.

Speaking at Comic Con earlier this year, director Guillermo del Toro expressed some reservations about converting his Pacific Rim to 3D, noting that the film's large-scale, awesome-sounding battles between huge mechs and aliens might not play well in the format. Warner Bros., meanwhile, is really hoping no one remembers that statement by next summer, because they're going to go ahead and convert Pacific Rim to 3D anyway.

Variety claims the studio "has strong-armed Guillermo del Toro" into making his upcoming sci-fi action film--which stars Idris Elba, Charlie Hunnam, Charlie Day, and Rinko Kikuchi as a crew charged with piloting giant robots in a war against invading extra-terrestrials--the latest 2D film to after-the-fact switch to three dimensions in post-production.

The decision to say fuck-all to the director's vision and make stuff pop out of the screen it said to largely stem from the potentially-massive rise in grosses overseas, where some bizarre cultures do not find 3D to be at all excessive or irritating. Warner is still expecting the film to hit its July 12, 2013 release date. Also, they would like you to forget about how notoriously shitty it looked when they did this with Wrath of the Titans. Please stop remembering that and everything Guillermo del Toro said.
http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2012/09/guillermo-del-toros-pacific-rim-forcibly.php

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
I don't get the problem. If you don't like 3D, just watch it in a regular theater or wait for the DVD.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I don't get the problem. If you don't like 3D, just watch it in a regular theater or wait for the DVD.
The issue is not the 3-D itself, it's that the movie wasn't filmed for 3D and the director thinks the 3D version is going to look like shit.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
The issue is not the 3-D itself, it's that the movie wasn't filmed for 3D and the director thinks the 3D version is going to look like shit.
At least he has an excuse if the thing bombs.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
I'd listen to the director, but we know them Hollywood Jews only care about money.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I think it's kinda funny that they use modern era HD-style news footage but the drop outs and noise and stuff are all from the analog era. There's no static like that in digital. Still, giant monster? I'm always down for that shit.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
It's confusing that Legendary Films is using Kaiju, when they're also making a new Godzilla. I saw someone post this on Facebook earlier and at first thought the video was for the new Godzilla instead of Pacific Rim.

I wonder what the count down clock on the bottom of that website is for? A trailer? I'd guess they'd just premier it with The Hobbit, but maybe it will turn up early.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
It's confusing that Legendary Films is using Kaiju, when they're also making a new Godzilla. I saw someone post this on Facebook earlier and at first thought the video was for the new Godzilla instead of Pacific Rim.
Maybe they want to be the American Toho.

AlanSmithee

Oct 11, 2012
I heard a rumor a little while back that Godzilla is going to show up at the end of this movie

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
It's a fucking mecha movie? Paging Dr. Falldog.

EDIT: My previous comment about them trying to be the American Toho was more accurate than I initially thought hahaha.

Last edited:

Atomic Fireball

Donator
Jul 26, 2005
Yup. They definitely want to be the American Toho.
That could actually be brilliant. Paramount took Marvel - something that was tawdry (comic books, 60s cartoons, crummy TV adaptions) but had a huge interconnected universe and a huge loyal fan base and gave it the slick 21th century film treatment and made a fortune. Sombody could do the same with the Toho universe and maybe thow in Ultraman and Gamera and Gigantor and shit. I'd pay to see that. And in the 1st scene in the 1st move Matthew Broderick gets crushed by a giant monster.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
That could actually be brilliant. Paramount took Marvel - something that was tawdry (comic books, 60s cartoons, crummy TV adaptions) but had a huge interconnected universe and a huge loyal fan base and gave it the slick 21th century film treatment and made a fortune. Sombody could do the same with the Toho universe and maybe thow in Ultraman and Gamera and Gigantor and shit. I'd pay to see that. And in the 1st scene in the 1st move Matthew Broderick gets crushed by a giant monster.
Totally would love new Gamera and Ultraman! Even Johnny Sokko.

Last edited:

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Especially since building a universe with interconnected characters and sub movies is the new fad with the Avengers, planned Justice League. Hell, even Disney is thinking along those lines with Star Wars. I just hope they don't make a mess of it because it's so easy for a giant monster movie to be complete shit. You need to put some serious effort into making them good movies, not just good monster movies.

Falldog

Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
I've been watching this for awhile. The trailer gives me a lot for concern though. Synced up pilots? GLaDOS?

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I've been watching this for awhile. The trailer gives me a lot for concern though. Synced up pilots? GLaDOS?
The GLaDOS thing has to be intentional. Like a nod to geeks or whatever. The synced up pilots thing looks at bit awkward, but I'm reluctant to judge on the basis of the trailer. On paper, many things about the Evangelions would sound less than awesome, but it's all in the execution.

Falldog

Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
The GLaDOS thing has to be intentional. Like a nod to geeks or whatever. The synced up pilots thing looks at bit awkward, but I'm reluctant to judge on the basis of the trailer. On paper, many things about the Evangelions would sound less than awesome, but it's all in the execution.
Executing the genre on the big screen isn't easy so I don't have much confidence.

As for GLaDOS I can understand if it's just in the trailer. It would me a fun way to explain what's going on without having to show clips of the character trying to explain it like many trailers. If it's like that in the movie it's way more than just a nod.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Executing the genre on the big screen isn't easy so I don't have much confidence.
I'm with you. It's so, so easy to fuck this kind of thing up. I'm just happy that someone is trying.

As for GLaDOS I can understand if it's just in the trailer. It would me a fun way to explain what's going on without having to show clips of the character trying to explain it like many trailers. If it's like that in the movie it's way more than just a nod.
It might even be a joke part. Like if they comment that they gave it the GLaDOS voice and then someone says: "Hey Johnson, quit fooling around and reset the computer voice. This is going in my report."

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Warner Bros., meanwhile, is really hoping no one remembers that statement by next summer, because they're going to go ahead and convert Pacific Rim to 3D anyway.

Variety claims the studio "has strong-armed Guillermo del Toro" into making his upcoming sci-fi action film... the latest 2D film to after-the-fact switch to three dimensions in post-production.
I hope the major studios get pirated out of every cent in the secondary market.