Guitar Hero 3 wireless guitar issues

Chin nuts

Your breath smells like a dead baby's coffin.
Mar 17, 2006
Island Park, NY
Bought my kids the GH3 LesPaul Guitar bundle for the Xbox 360. Anyone else having problems with the guitar crapping out? Mainly some buttons seem to work and others don't. I'm guessing it's because the guitar is not making full contact when you put the neck and body together. Seems like there's an 1/8th inch gap and unless you remember to squeeze the two together while playing (fucking impossible) it just won't play right. Love the Idea of having a wireless over corded but why the fuck did they have to make it a two part item? Was transporting 3 feet of plastic so fucking difficult? Anyone else having these issues?

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Apr 13, 2005
Pretty Pretty Unicorn
Bought my kids the GH3 LesPaul Guitar bundle for the Xbox 360. Anyone else having problems with the guitar crapping out? Mainly some buttons seem to work and others don't. I'm guessing it's because the guitar is not making full contact when you put the neck and body together. Seems like there's an 1/8th inch gap and unless you remember to squeeze the two together while playing (fucking impossible) it just won't play right. Love the Idea of having a wireless over corded but why the fuck did they have to make it a two part item? Was transporting 3 feet of plastic so fucking difficult? Anyone else having these issues?
Most places have return policies for defective stuff like that. I know of someone else who had a similar problem when they first picked up GH3 for the 360. Just take the whole package back to where you bought it, and they should exchange it for you

original6

Welcoming the Virus to Detroit!!!
Aug 13, 2004
St. Clair Shores, MI
Might also want to try and put new batteries in the guitar. I have heard the batteries that come with the bundle aren't always the best. It worked for my nephew (and me) on Christmas morning. Though the only good wireless I've seen so far is on the Wii, and that's probably because it's the controller, and not the guitar.

Standby

Better Than [you]
Wackbag Staff
Sep 8, 2005
Arlington, VA
This happened to me twice. First time, some of the buttons didn't always respond when pressed, second time, the orange button was the culprit, and I didn't find this out until I started attempting songs on hard.

Both times I was able to take advantage of Best Buy's policy of a straight up swap, regardless of if it's opened, within 30 days of purchase.

Other people on other video game sites had mentioned this being an issue. It could be faulty connections with the detachable neck. That at least seems to be the common theory.

If wherever you bought it didn't have some sort of policy like that, calling Red Octane couldn't hurt. But yeah, this happened to me twice, and the second return was a pain in the ass, because it was around Black Friday, so all Best Buys in the area had ZERO in stock. By the time I finally got attempt #3, I didn't play the game for a week, I was sick of it, and I hadn't played it in weeks.

At least it works now. So yeah, good luck with the return. There should be plenty in stores though, so you won't have the problem I did.

Chin nuts

Your breath smells like a dead baby's coffin.
Mar 17, 2006
Island Park, NY
This happened to me twice. First time, some of the buttons didn't always respond when pressed, second time, the orange button was the culprit, and I didn't find this out until I started attempting songs on hard.

Both times I was able to take advantage of Best Buy's policy of a straight up swap, regardless of if it's opened, within 30 days of purchase.

Other people on other video game sites had mentioned this being an issue. It could be faulty connections with the detachable neck. That at least seems to be the common theory.

If wherever you bought it didn't have some sort of policy like that, calling Red Octane couldn't hurt. But yeah, this happened to me twice, and the second return was a pain in the ass, because it was around Black Friday, so all Best Buys in the area had ZERO in stock. By the time I finally got attempt #3, I didn't play the game for a week, I was sick of it, and I hadn't played it in weeks.

At least it works now. So yeah, good luck with the return. There should be plenty in stores though, so you won't have the problem I did.

Thanks.
I bought it direct from Red Octane online and will be returning it, happy to hear that not all of them are like this. Just stupid design IMO.

Chester'sLiver

ESD is Wackbag's hero!
Jan 28, 2005
New Jersey
I will just hijack this thread to ask a GH question. On 360 has anyone got the problem of if they pause the game for like a minute or tow and come back the track skips and then it gives a disc unreadable thing? I mean I restart everything and its fine, but this has happened like twice...I was just wondering if it happened to anyone else...

RockstarDan

Young Hopper
Jul 18, 2007
White Plains, NY
yes- this issue is pretty much due to the stupid detachable neck. the contact pins get stuck down and then you lose contact. for me, it tends to happen more when I go to pop starpower or whammy. Very frustrating if you are a serious player and u miss a note ruining a combo. I'm doing an RMA with redoctane so i'll see how that goes, but if you recently got it, it should be easier to swap.

also as per the pause issue on the 360, that has yet to happen to me and ive played quite a bit of gh3 so far, so I am not sure.

Standby

Better Than [you]
Wackbag Staff
Sep 8, 2005
Arlington, VA
yes- this issue is pretty much due to the stupid detachable neck. the contact pins get stuck down and then you lose contact. for me, it tends to happen more when I go to pop starpower or whammy. Very frustrating if you are a serious player and u miss a note ruining a combo. I'm doing an RMA with redoctane so i'll see how that goes, but if you recently got it, it should be easier to swap.

also as per the pause issue on the 360, that has yet to happen to me and ive played quite a bit of gh3 so far, so I am not sure.
The pause issue CL talked about hasn't happened to me either.

But what RockstarDan said is exactly the problem I had. Making the guitar detachable was really an unnecessary option. The buttons would work...sorta, but tilting for star power, forget it. (The instance with the orange button was worse, it wouldn't register normally even when my index finger was the one pressing it, ignoring all other buttons on the neck.) That's when it definitely didn't work, and obviously, if you're playing for a score, missing a note just as star power activates and drops you from 8x to 2x is frustrating.

Again, Red Octane seems to be dealing with this fairly often...

In other news I'll add another question to this thread... do they sell a cable to attach the wireless guitar to the Xbox? I just got Rock Band for Christmas, and would like to use the GH3 guitar for a bass, but it needs to be plugged in... is this something they sell that I don't know about?

RockstarDan

Young Hopper
Jul 18, 2007
White Plains, NY
In other news I'll add another question to this thread... do they sell a cable to attach the wireless guitar to the Xbox? I just got Rock Band for Christmas, and would like to use the GH3 guitar for a bass, but it needs to be plugged in... is this something they sell that I don't know about?
I have used both my gh3 controllers for 360 for rockband. You should be able just turn them on and in the multiplayer menu where you choose band members, the guitars should work.

I've done both rockband guitar + gh3 guitar, and 2x gh3 guitars, successfully.