OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

guitar or house electrical question, buzz coming through speakers & guitar amp, badly

Discussion in 'Wackbag Home Improvement & Car Repair' started by Got One?, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Got One?

Got One? .....and she was a stewardess.

i hear a quiet buzz coming through larger speakers in my house, and it's especially loud through my marshall mini stack amp. i've noticed when i turn certain things off, like a tv, the buzz gets a little quieter. this buzz used to happen once in a while, but now it's constant, to the point i can't play guitar because of how loud the buzz is. is there something with the electrical wiring in the house that can cause this? the people that were here before me did a lot of their own wiring... lamp posts in the driveway run from outlets in the basement, through the block walls to feed the lamps. shit like that. and it's everywhere. I guess I could go and unplug everything that's not needed. I have a large 80's stereo that i play my ipod through when playing guitar, and when one buzzes, they both buzz. stereo & amp fed from separate outlets, doesn't matter where in the house. occasionally there is no buzzing and all is fine. but those days are long gone.

any ideas?

2. Dikbag

Dikbag Registered User

I would shut off every breaker in the house except the one you amp is on and see if it is ok. If it is, turn them on one by one until it buzzes again.

3. OilyJillFart

OilyJillFart Well-Lubed Member

It's a bad ground somewhere, could be local to the guitar/amp or the house could have an issue with the service.
    I had a house with a fucked up ground loop because someone abandoned a line to an outside light and left the wire cut off, buried, and live. It backfed a tiny bit back to the ground rod.

Take your amp to a buddys house and see if the problem follows.

4. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

I'm going to assume it sounds like this:

[video=youtube;SVZ2P0KsLic]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVZ2P0KsLic[/video]

In which case, yes, it's a ground problem.

5. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

6. Stig

Stig Wackbag's New Favorite Heel

It may be radio interference. If you're close enough to a radio station and have the right combo of amp, cord, and usually fuzzbox, you'll get a radio show thru your amp loud and clear.

7. Got One?

nope it's a higher pitched buzz, not a hum. you know the sound a stun gun makes? that.

also, it went away magically last night. i'm sure it will be back tonight. it always comes back.... like the herp.

8. Got One?

played it at someone's house a few weeks ago and no buzz. i'm pretty sure it's the house because any large speaker buzzes anywhere in the house.

9. Got One?

unplugged everything that runs from the basement to the outside outlets & lamps, nothing. tried the breaker, went one by one starting with the farthest end of the house, had the amp plugged into an outlet in the garage... didn't kill the buzz till i hit the last one, closest to the box (which is in the garage), so i'm assuming it's a ground somewhere that's fucked up coming in. at least i know it's not the guitar or the amp.

10. THE FEZ MAN

THE FEZ MAN as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

it might be an open ground or a shared neutral my house is full of them , i cant use my old tube short wave because of it. also you might want to look into a bad transformer plugged into something, i know when i plug my battery charger into the same out let as my stereo i here the charger buzzing