Guitarists and Bassists: Post Your Gear/Rig

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
This is my primary set-up for guitar. I might post my bass rig later.

What is your set-up?

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
I'll take a pic later, but all I use is a Boss Chromatic Tuner, Metal Zone and a Dunlop Crybaby Wah from the 90s (new ones have way too tight of an envelope).

GrammatonCleric

Nov 19, 2008
I'm not home right now but it's an Ibanez S570DXQM in a transparent grey and my amp is a Vox AD30VT. I use a Boss Metalzone to just slightly modify the amp's tone and I also use a Dunlop crybaby to do the same sometimes.

My guitar is sexy and will make most of you orgasm; this is a promise.

Stig

Wackbag's New Favorite Heel
Jul 26, 2005
NH
Stig, I definitely want to hear from you on this subject.
Right now, my "Rig" is a cord. I plug right into the amp or the Line 6 TonePort which is USB'd into the computer.
Guitars - too numerous to post pics.
Current amp: Peavey Studio Pro 112 - American made, before they started making them in China.

jnoble

Lingering longer for a longering linger
Dec 4, 2005
New Jersey
Peavy Microbass practice amp with a RP80 Digitech effects module for the Les Paul-style Stagg guitar (I'm not nearly good enough to justify spending the money for a real Gibson Les Paul) and a Hartke VX3500 series bass amp for my Rickenbacker 4300, Fender Jazz and Ibenez bass guitars. Also have a nice Yamaha keyboard with a million different sounds to use

freddyfox

May 19, 2009
Albuquerque
Electric Guitars:
Fender Jaguar HH - black guitar with chrome hardware, Humbucker pickups. $799 from internet two years ago.

Squier Jaguar Vintage Modified - white guitar, single coil pickup. Just purchased for $299 from internet.
http://www.fender.com/squier/series...ed-jaguar-rosewood-fingerboard-olympic-white/

Tanglewood TSB59 - Think of a Gibson 335 but colored navy blue. Purchased for $340 from eBay. Probably the best, inexpensive 335 copy on the market.

Peavey JF-1 - A 335 copy but black with gold hardware. Beautiful looking and sounding guitar. $350 from internet last xmas.

Future purchases:
Squier Jaguar - Candy Apple Red. I am a Fender Jaguar fanatic. I play mainly jazz and bluesy stuff. Been studying Bossa Nova lately. "He thinks he's got it going Bossa Nova.....No way....No way...What is this garbage?....What is this? Oh I'm king of the trees. I'm the treemeister"

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
I dont play, but my brother does. This is one corner of his 'studio' It's all for casual use. In fact, he plays with nobody but himself.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I dont play, but my brother does. This is one corner of his 'studio' It's all for casual use. In fact, he plays with nobody but himself.
You don't actually need anyone else to play with. In a studio setting, Nine Inch Nails is no one but Trent Reznor.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
You don't actually need anyone else to play with. In a studio setting, Nine Inch Nails is no one but Trent Reznor.
That's not so true anymore. But yeah, Pretty Hate Machine was just him using the studio he was working at after hours.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Dec 9, 2005
Arizona
How the fuck does a 40+ year old learn to play guitar???

I'm so jealous of my kid, in a year he plays really, really well - He gave me his first acoustic and is very encouraging (but doesn't live with me to help) - I watch videos and read but I just feel like an arthritic retard trying to do brain surgery blindfolded.

Don't fucking pick on me, give me a little hope....

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
How the fuck does a 40+ year old learn to play guitar???

I'm so jealous of my kid, in a year he plays really, really well - He gave me his first acoustic and is very encouraging (but doesn't live with me to help) - I watch videos and read but I just feel like an arthritic retard trying to do brain surgery blindfolded.

Don't fucking pick on me, give me a little hope....
Just play by ear. Fuck around. That's how I learned.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Electric Guitars:
Fender Jaguar HH - black guitar with chrome hardware, Humbucker pickups. $799 from internet two years ago.
Would you recommend that? I've been interested in Jaguars for a while now, but I've never played one.

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
Slight update to rig.
Think I'm going to just start going into a clean channel on a Pod and DI to boards.
My band has an electronic drummer, backing tracks and 2 (sometimes 3) synths. A lot of soundpeople suck at mixing that well mic'ing an amp. Plus, I use a stupid amount of distortion. Combine that with the occasional wah too close to the monitors and it's way too much unwanted feedback (some can be good at times especially if you can manipulate it well, but I'm talking about it kicking in if a note/chord goes more than a beat)
Also, I'm kind of over lugging an amp around and this will definitely cut down on space for traveling.

So, current set-up would be guitar>wireless pack>receiver>wah>distortion>tuner>Pod (pedals front of stage via cables obviously)

tl;dr You probably don't care anyway

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
When you say "electronic drummer", do mean that have a drummer that uses electronic drums or that you use a drum machine/drum sequencer?
Person beating on pads.
Usually, if someone isn't doing that live, it's lumped in with backing tracks.

freddyfox

May 19, 2009
Albuquerque
Would you recommend that? I've been interested in Jaguars for a while now, but I've never played one.
Yes. Especially if you want a more aggressive looking and sounding one I would say the black Jaguar HH is the way to go. It plays and sounds amazing. You won't be sorry if you buy one.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Yes. Especially if you want a more aggressive looking and sounding one I would say the black Jaguar HH is the way to go. It plays and sounds amazing. You won't be sorry if you buy one.
I prefer the normal stock finish with the dark red pickguard and old school chrome hardware.

freddyfox

May 19, 2009
Albuquerque
I bought a Glen Burton GE-775 (copy of an Gibson ES-175). This one:
http://www.xmusicpro.com/glen-burton-ge775-chicago-natural-p-46.html

I've wanted a full hollowbody for a few months now but I can't spend over $400. Limited options for such a low budget. Plus I don't like sunburst finishes and a lot of fully hollows are sunbursts. I played a used Epiphone ES-175 at a music store yesterday for $499. It was great but it had a sunburst finish. So I went on youtube and found this video of a guy playing a GE-775:

I have low expectations for this guitar. As long as it sounds good, plays good, and doesn't have a bad neck I'll keep it. If it sucks it's going back. They're on eBay for about $200. On another youtube clip a guy is playing one and says "...build quality wasn't good but it did sound good though":

I'll post an update when the guitar arrives.

freddyfox

May 19, 2009
Albuquerque
So I've had the Glen Burton jazz guitar in Natural finish for about a week. For $200 it's cool. It's sounds good. Plays good. It has a smooth and narrow neck. The only two issues are: the 6th string tuning key is stiff and hard to turn. Also the tune-o-matic bridge produces a buzz on certain notes/chords and will need to be replaced. I think swapping for a tortoise shell pickguard will compliment its natural finish.

Last edited:

freddyfox

May 19, 2009
Albuquerque
On to the next guitar:

I've been looking at Warmoth custom made Fender guitars for awhile and debating ordering a Jaguar in a Sherwood Green finish. Basically to look like this:

The problem is cost. Warmoth is expensive. They have a licensing agreement with Fender to make custom versions of Fender guitars. It would cost me about $1,500 to have the above Jaguar made and put together. I can't justify that expense.

The alternative solution: Order a $300, white, Squier Jaguar from Guitar Center. Disassemble it completely. Send the bare body to GuitarPaintGuys.com and have them refinish it in Sherwood Green for $180. So $480 total. That's within my budget.

freddyfox

May 19, 2009
Albuquerque
freddyfox

What are the pros and cons of the standard bridge on a standard Fender Jaguar?
The "problems" you'll read about the Jaguar bridge aren't really a big deal and shouldn't dissuade anyone from buying a Jag.

The multi-grooved saddles on the Jaguar bridge have been problematic for a small number of guitar players. I've never had any problems though. The most common complaint is strings jumping from groove to groove. If that problem occurs just simply buy a Fender Mustang bridge which has a single slot on the saddle for the string to sit in. Compare the Jaguar and Mustang bridges here:
http://www.warmoth.com/Jaguar-Guitar-Hardware-C817.aspx

The other issue is that the Jaguar bridge isn't screwed in or attached to the body in any way. If you take off all of the strings and flip the guitar face down the bridge will fall out. I've heard that some people have problems with the bridge moving while playing. Not me but then again I'm not a hard strummer. Apparantely the loose bridge compliments the tremolo tail piece and the tone of the guitar. A simple solution is to wrap the top of the posts in a ring of electrical tape just enough to still fit in the hole. This will stop a lot of movement. At 6:16, this guy talks about the Jaguar bridge and what he did with his signature model. He added bushings to the posts to stop movement.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
The other issue is that the Jaguar bridge isn't screwed in or attached to the body in any way. If you take off all of the strings and flip the guitar face down the bridge will fall out.
The bridge on the acrylic B.C. Rich Warlock that I used to have was like that, so that doesn't bother me.