Gun Question

To make a long story short, the father of my girlfriends son has recently started to cause problems with her. He comes off as a murder/suicide case so I want to purchase a gun to be safe.

Can anyone give me an idea on a good gun for a good price? I appreciate the help. I will definitely let you all know if I have to use it.

Hoagie

I suggest you tread lightly
Wackbag Staff
I'm thinking about getting either s Sig Sauer P229 or a Colt model 1911.

Hoffman

Guess who's back? Hoffman's back
If you have money to burn nothing on the market beats the H&K USP series. My preference is to the .45, but give all of the versions a try to see what you like best.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Figure out how much you want to spend, go to the shop and see which one feels the best for you. Ask to test fire several different ones and calibers. I'd recommend at least a .40 caliber or a .45 for semi auto. After you get it practice, practice, practice. Put at least two-hundred fifty rounds through it to test its accuracy and performance.

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Get yourself a Ruger GP-100. It's a .357, comes in 3 or 4 inch barrel, I prefer stainless finish. Put some Hogue or Pachmyer grips on it and it will have a nice meaty feel to it. They are very user friendly, have a good trigger pull to them and they won't break the bank (relatively inexpensive).

In short, a good first pistol for someone who has limited handgun experience.

Oh, my department has us use them to quailfy on revolvers every year, so I know this one well.

Well I don't want to spend to much on it only because it wont be used to fun or recreational use. Just good old fashion home safety.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Then a snub nose .357 would be your best choice, maybe see if they have one lightly used.

not_you_too

Yep a double action revolver would be the way to go... and go 357 as you can shoot 38 special (cheaper ammo) for practice... my chick usually carries this...

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...angId=-1&parent_category_rn=15704&isFirearm=Y
I agree with stevethrower 100% - if you aren't a gun fanboy, go with a simple, proven to be reliable revolver.

The smith 38 special/357's that steve mentions can be found in good/used in almost every gunshop in the country, and are inexpensive compared "more complicated" semi auto handguns. It is what I recommend for anyone looking for a "first gun" that wants function over flare (although my 357 is pimpin) :)

edit: and see my disclaimer, below.

Hoagie

Wackbag Staff
Well I don't want to spend to much on it only because it wont be used to fun or recreational use. Just good old fashion home safety.
There's nothing safe about a gun in the hands of someone who doesn't know how to use it or use it with any kind of efficiency. So any gun you buy you need to be prepared to take it to a shooting range and spend time handling it and shooting it and working on your accuracy. Otherwise, if the time comes to use it in a real situation, you won't be able to hit anything.

Than McNally

a personal choice for off duty cops as a secondary carry weapon and home defense is the Beretta 84f with a 13 round mag. just picked one up for $350. best semi auto i have ever fired. no stove piping or jamming due to open slide design. sweet ass gun.

not_you_too

Disclaimer: You should take a gun safety course before purchasing a firearm.

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Yep. Revolvers are the way to go for a gun that needs to sit around for days/weeks and be ready to go with one trigger pull. Buy a .357 and fill it with .38 special +p hollow points. This way the recoil won't shock you the first time you need to fire it.

There's nothing safe about a gun in the hands of someone who doesn't know how to use it or use it with any kind of efficiency. So any gun you buy you need to be prepared to take it to a shooting range and spend time handling it and shooting it and working on your accuracy. Otherwise, if the time comes to use it in a real situation, you won't be able to hit anything.
That's the reason I'd suggest going to a pawn shop and picking up a good, old fashioned 12 gauge pump shot gun. Everyone knows how to use one, and you can usually pick one up for $2-300 or so in a pawn shop.

Hoagie

Wackbag Staff
a personal choice for off duty cops as a secondary carry weapon and home defense is the Beretta 84f with a 13 round mag. just picked one up for $350. best semi auto i have ever fired. no stove piping or jamming due to open slide design. sweet ass gun.
I have a Beretta 8040 mini-cougar. It's a fantastic gun to carry (and I do regularly). Good accuracy, easy to handle, and never fails. It's got a bit of an awkward trigger pull but once you work with it enough, it doesn't effect you.

boardsofcanada

You're a Charcoal Briquette..ditsoon..a moolinyan
I've heard the best way to go for self defense is a revolver. They're cheap, reliable, will knock anyone on their ass and ur not gonna shoot them 20 times and go to jail for 300 years

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
I have a Beretta 8040 mini-cougar. It's a fantastic gun to carry (and I do regularly). Good accuracy, easy to handle, and never fails. It's got a bit of an awkward trigger pull but once you work with it enough, it doesn't effect you.

Really, Beretta makes nice handguns huh? heh. :)

WonkaVision

To my Friends!!! To My Friends!!!
I'm all about the 12 gauge for home protection. Plus, you can buy a Bed-Gun holder like Ant has.

I agree with stevethrower 100% - if you aren't a gun fanboy, go with a simple, proven to be reliable revolver.

The smith 38 special/357's that steve mentions can be found in good/used in almost every gunshop in the country, and are inexpensive compared "more complicated" semi auto handguns. It is what I recommend for anyone looking for a "first gun" that wants function over flare (although my 357 is pimpin) :)

edit: and see my disclaimer, below.
Tanks... I am thinking of adding some Crimson Trace grips for it... as I have a set on my P226r... very ummm user friendly...

not_you_too

... Buy a .357 and fill it with .38 special +p hollow points. This way the recoil won't shock you the first time you need to fire it.
I'd suggest a different approach. Go to the range and put a few boxes of 38 special through it (it's cheap) to get the feel of it, then shoot half a box of 357 magnum ammo (it's expensive, and produces a big bang that will eventually start to hurt your hand) so you know what to expect. Go home, wait a few weeks and repeat, and repeat, and repeat. Thinking that you've fired it a few times and never going back to practice or train is how people shoot themselves or innocent people by accident, and it gives us responsible gun owners a bad name.

For carry I would suggest 357 magnum hydra shok's instead of 38's as BCH pointed out (with only six shots, I would want to be shooting magnum not 38 special), but it's personal preference on carry ammo... everybody is going to have a different favorite...

All good suggestions thanks all. What is the best place to look for gun classes? I'm sure there are a bunch in WV.

Hoagie

Wackbag Staff
That's the reason I'd suggest going to a pawn shop and picking up a good, old fashioned 12 gauge pump shot gun. Everyone knows how to use one, and you can usually pick one up for $2-300 or so in a pawn shop.
I agree. If you aren't going to go to the range and work with your handgun then I wouldn't go with any handgun. Maybe a 9mm semi-auto with an extended clip so you have a chance of actually landing a shot (even though it won't have alot of stopping power). But the chance of landing a shot, even at 10 yards, with a 6 shot revolver under the pressure of a life or death situation with no practice is not good at all. Shooting hand guns isn't as easy as it seems. And under the kind of pressure that a situation that warrants using it will bring, muscle memory will be key. If you don't have it, you're depending on pure luck.

Finally! We have "Gun owners and their pics" volume 2

Luckily I have access to law enforcement loads...

not_you_too

/offtopic/ I just want to point out that I've made more posts today than I have in the past six months.

Go me.

/back to topic/

Top Bottom