Gun Sales Booming: Doomsday, Obama or Zombies?

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Gun Sales Booming: Doomsday, Obama or Zombies?
By ALAN FARNHAM | Good Morning America – Wed, Apr 4, 2012

Buyers in record numbers are flooding into gun stores, retailers say. Ammo, too, is flying off the shelves. The reasons for the spike, last seen in 2009, include fears that a second Obama administration might restrict gun ownership and the popularity of TV shows devoted to doomsday preparation and killing zombies.

"He's never been pro-gun," says Cris Parsons of President Obama. Parsons, 31, owns a Texas gun purveyor called the Houston Armory. So far, Parsons insists, Obama has been "pretty coy" about his antipathy toward guns--and he likely will remain so during the campaign. To do otherwise would "upset a lot of people."

But if Obama wins a second term, he'll have "nothing to lose," says Parsons.

Alan Korwin, author of nine books on gun laws, including "Gun Laws of America," says gun owners are worried that the president, as a lame duck, will clamp down as never before on gun ownership.

Parsons says about 40 percent of Armory customers cite this fear as their reason for stocking up on guns and ammo now, before the election.

"Frenzy" is the word he uses to describe their buying. Dollar sales for the Armory are up 30 to 40 percent this quarter compared to last. Parsons thinks his store's performance is indicative of sales nationally, based on what he hears from dealers, suppliers and other store owners.

Gun maker Sturm, Ruger says that in the first quarter it received orders for more than 1 million firearms--so many that it has now had to stop taking orders. Says a notice on its website: "Despite the company's continuing successful efforts to increase production rates, the incoming order rate exceeds our capacity to rapidly fulfill these orders. Consequently, the company has temporarily suspended the acceptance of new orders." It expects to resume accepting orders, it says, at the end of May.

Stocks of gun makers are surging. Sturm, Ruger's share price is up 55 percent this year. Smith & Wesson soared 91 percent. Sporting goods and hunting retailer Cabela's is up 53 percent.

Other forces besides politics, though, explain the current boom. "There're the 'preppers," explains Parsons, "and then there's this whole Zombie Apocalypse thing."

He refers to two hot trends in popular culture.

The first is a National Geographic TV show called "Doomsday Prepers" that chronicles the preparations being made by people convinced that a doomsday of some kind is coming. A whole industry has sprung up to sell preppers survival and self-dense goods, including guns and ammo.

Then there are zombies--zombie movies, zombie comics, zombie novels, zombie TV shows. Americans' fascination with all things zombie, Parsons says, has grown to such proportions that arms manufactures now have come out with zombie-specific firearms and ammo. Products include a line of Zombie Max ammunition (slogan: "just in case") made by Hornady Manufacturing. "We can't keep it in stock," says Parsons. "It comes in a cool, colorful box with a Zombie on it."

There are more than a dozen manufacturers, says Parsons, making zombie riffles, some with a picture of a zombie on them The two position on a zombie rifle's safety, instead of being marked "safe" and "fire," are labeled "dead" and "undead."

Gun maker DPMS Panther Arms is taking sign-ups now for its fifth annual zombie shoot, "Outbreak: Omega" set for June 23. "DPMS' Outbreak: Omega," says the company's website, "is the Original Zombie Shoot, and the largest. It is a non competitive 3-gun style fun shoot. All are invited to come and try your hand at killing Zombies. Tons of Prizes...followed by a HUGE after party!"

Attendees don't actually shoot Zombies, which, last we heard, don't actually exist. They shoot targets that are zombie stand-ins.

Says Parsons, summing up the reasons for record gun sales, "You got zombies, you got 'preppers, and you got Obama."
http://news.yahoo.com/gun-sales-booming-doomsday-obama-zombies-193929184--abc-news-money.html

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
Government knows something we don't know and people know it. DHS has been buying a ton of JHP ammo, armored guard booths, and freeze dried food.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
I hope Zombies

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
What I guess - Obama
What I hope for - Zombies
What will likely happen - Nothing.

If Obama wins again, the senate and congress will short dick him at every turn.
you can never count on the current crop of Republican leadership now in congress.

Mac Connell and Bonher are as bad as leftists

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Because Alex Jones

I get a kick out of the fear of Obama and gun rights, yet Romney has been way more anti-gun throughout his political career then the big 0.

In unrelated news, I pick up my M&P .40 and M&P-15 from Jail tomorrow.

Jon the Cop

Oct 20, 2008
Indiana
Because Alex Jones

I get a kick out of the fear of Obama and gun rights, yet Romney has been way more anti-gun throughout his political career then the big 0.

In unrelated news, I pick up my M&P .40 and M&P-15 from Jail tomorrow.
That's becausnen O didn't have a career before president. He was Daley's bitch boy for IL.

I carried the MP40 for the past seven years. It took a beating. It got road rash from being drug on the ground when a tweeter tried to run it over....with me attached in 2009. It went thru flood waters for over three hours searching for another meth head fugitive in 2008. It crushed a fugitive's skull in (3 times) when he tried to kill my partner in 2010. Most importantly, it always worked and never jammed in me, shooting it was always smooth and fast, easy to control and tight groups!
penny pinches wouldn't let me keep it when I left. Big jerks.

Never used my MP15 on duty, but it was dead balls accurate out of the box.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
Government knows something we don't know and people know it. DHS has been buying a ton of JHP ammo, armored guard booths, and freeze dried food.
Hey, idiot, they're not buying 450 million rounds, they awarded a contract for UP TO 450 million to get a guaranteed price. Do you realize how many people work for DHS that have to qualify with a handgun every year? Do you realize that law enforcement agencies generally issue the same JHP ammo their officers carry as practice and qualifying ammo for consistency reasons?

DHS awarded a separate 200 million round contract in 2009 for the same reasons.

Back on topic, most of the "gun world" is going all Chicken Little over the possibility of Obumble getting reelected and going on a gun-banning spree. Somehow, I don't see the Democrats gaining enough seats in the house (or enough Republicans stabbing their constituents in the back) to make that happen.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Back on topic, most of the "gun world" is going all Chicken Little over the possibility of Obumble getting reelected and going on a gun-banning spree. Somehow, I don't see the Democrats gaining enough seats in the house (or enough Republicans stabbing their constituents in the back) to make that happen.
The latest dittohead talking point is that Obama will load the court with gun-hating Liberal justices in the next four years. Of course, this requires Justices to either die or resign in the next four years and Congress to approve said new appointee.

Hate & Discontent

Aug 22, 2005
The latest dittohead talking point is that Obama will load the court with gun-hating Liberal justices in the next four years. Of course, this requires Justices to either die or resign in the next four years and Congress to approve said new appointee.
I don't see any of the conservative judges retiring while Obama is in office. Always a chance on one dropping dead, though.

Jon the Cop

Oct 20, 2008
Indiana
I don't see any of the conservative judges retiring while Obama is in office. Always a chance on one dropping dead, though.
Exactly! Federal judge salary and benefits are outstanding. Why retire?

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
Obama is setting the precedent that the UN is above the constitution and Obama does support UN gun treaties that would ban guns in the US.

The NRA has been warning for a few months that Obama is planning on banning all semi auto guns in his 2nd term.

by Wayne LaPierre, NRA Executive Vice President

Over the past three years, the Obama administration and its anti-gun allies have been engaged in a silent but sophisticated long-term conspiracy to:​
1. Neutralize gun owners and NRA voters as a political force in national elections, and thereby:

2. Win re-election to a second term in the White House, where they then will be immune to the will of voters and free to continue consolidating and misusing their ever-increasing power to:

3. Prosecute a full-scale, sustained, all-out campaign to excise the Second Amendment from our Bill of Rights through legislation, litigation, regulation, executive orders, judicial fiat, international treaties—in short, all the levers of power of all three branches of government.

I know its just a crazy CT that will never happen. Clinton never banned rifles, it was just a crazy CT that didn't really happen. Bush never said he would extend the Clinton ban if it was put on his desk.

You seem to forget that Obama told the Brady campaign he was working on gun control but he had to do it under the radar and then a few months later F&F was exposed, I know just another crazy CT that never happened. No laws came about as a result of F&F except for the one that says gun stores have to report you to the ATF if you buy more than one gun but that doesn't really exist its all a crazy CT. A Chicago politician would never restrict 2nd rights and Obama would never lie. So stop being crazy CT and vote for Obama the guy that never lies and supports the 2nd amendment.

Psychopath

I want to fuck your girlfriend.
Dec 28, 2008
Constant sate of misery
Obama is setting the precedent that the UN is above the constitution and Obama does support UN gun treaties that would ban guns in the US.

The NRA has been warning for a few months that Obama is planning on banning all semi auto guns in his 2nd term.

I know its just a crazy CT that will never happen. Clinton never banned rifles, it was just a crazy CT that didn't really happen. Bush never said he would extend the Clinton ban if it was put on his desk.

You seem to forget that Obama told the Brady campaign he was working on gun control but he had to do it under the radar and then a few months later F&F was exposed, I know just another crazy CT that never happened. No laws came about as a result of F&F except for the one that says gun stores have to report you to the ATF if you buy more than one gun but that doesn't really exist its all a crazy CT. A Chicago politician would never restrict 2nd rights and Obama would never lie. So stop being crazy CT and vote for Obama the guy that never lies and supports the 2nd amendment.
Don't care

Hate & Discontent

Aug 22, 2005

The UN treaty is meaningless if it's not ratified, and I don't see Obumble getting two thirds of the Senate to ratify it. The political climate when Clinton got the original AWB and the Brady law through is very different than it is now. The Republicans have a strong majority in the House, and are unlikely to let any gun control legislation through. The multi-gun reporting required by the ATF isn't a law, just an ATF policy - one that is unlikely to last much longer, thanks to scrutiny from the House. Obama can't just snap his fingers and declare anything illegal, no matter what the Chicken Littles and Kirk Strongs of the world try to say.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State

Did you just come after typing that out?

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
The UN treaty is meaningless if it's not ratified, and I don't see Obumble getting two thirds of the Senate to ratify it. The political climate when Clinton got the original AWB and the Brady law through is very different than it is now. The Republicans have a strong majority in the House, and are unlikely to let any gun control legislation through. The multi-gun reporting required by the ATF isn't a law, just an ATF policy - one that is unlikely to last much longer, thanks to scrutiny from the House. Obama can't just snap his fingers and declare anything illegal, no matter what the Chicken Littles and Kirk Strongs of the world try to say.
Believe me I hope you are right but I see Obama setting up a executive dictatorship and putting the UN above the constitution so it won't matter what the courts or what congress says. Obama has said many times that he wishes he could bypass congress and do what needs to be done and his cult applauds him.

Hate & Discontent

Aug 22, 2005
Believe me I hope you are right but I see Obama setting up a executive dictatorship and putting the UN above the constitution so it won't matter what the courts or what congress says. Obama has said many times that he wishes he could bypass congress and do what needs to be done and his cult applauds him.
If Obama attempted it, you'd see chaos in the streets, and probably large portions of the military and government agencies walking out.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
oh i hope its the zombies