OpieRadio Logo
Anthony Cumia Show Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Gun Talk

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by weeniewawa, Feb 13, 2013.

1. THE FEZ MAN

THE FEZ MAN as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

Lol.... yea I'm in the same boat, with my glasses on I can't see the rear site, with my glasses off I can't see the target, if I try and split the distance I can't see shit, at anything less than 50yd I'm a point and shoot guy, I can usually hit a paper plate

2. ysr50

ysr50 Well-Known Member
    Donator

I modified the 1894, removed the front sight hood and put a $20 sling on it. Now it's perfect.

THE FEZ MAN likes this.
  3. THE FEZ MAN

I've been thinking of putting a red dot on mine but the iron sites work just fine

4. ysr50

ysr50 Well-Known Member
    Donator

The gun came with a brass bead front sight. When I got my 1911 it had fiber optic sights on it that I didn't care for. After a suggestion from a friend I installed a solid black rear and a brass bead front set on it, and found that I liked them very much. The only problem with the rifle is my eyes.

Shootr and THE FEZ MAN like this.
  5. THE FEZ MAN

You and me both

ysr50 likes this.
  6. d0uche_n0zzle

d0uche_n0zzle **Negative_Creep**

Spray and pray is the only way.

7. THE FEZ MAN

It's called Kentucky windage

8. d0uche_n0zzle

d0uche_n0zzle **Negative_Creep**

You can use Kentucky windage when you can see the hits; if you can't see the hits, spray and pray away.

9. ysr50

ysr50 Well-Known Member
    Donator

I can't shoot MOA with a rifle that can, but I can still hit most everything I point a gun at. I just point my guns at really big targets.

10. THE FEZ MAN

I'm near sighted so I can see the targets but not the rear sight

ysr50 likes this.
  11. ysr50

ysr50 Well-Known Member
    Donator

I never understood the terms near sighted or far sighted, I cant see shit up close anymore but my distance vision is still spot on, am I near sighted or far sighted? And more importantly is there a way to get back the near vision without compromising my far vision?

12. THE FEZ MAN

You are farsighted you can look into laser surgery but I was told it wasn't worth the money this late in life

13. ysr50

ysr50 Well-Known Member
    Donator

Maybe I can find a happy medium with glasses? Getting old sucks.

d0uche_n0zzle likes this.
  14. THE FEZ MAN

Bifocals old fart

15. ysr50

ysr50 Well-Known Member
    Donator

Best of both worlds perhaps? I'll give it a try, I'm not anxious to let people cut on me eyeballs.

16. Shootr

Shootr OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
    Donator

This is what I need for my pistol - tried green and red FO and neither work very well for me (can't see sights, distance vision is fine). I pretty much just train for point/shoot at 10 yards max, both eyes open. I still "see" the sights, but it's kind of unconscious/automatic/muscle memory thing I've practiced when I started shooting heavily again. The sights rise into my sightline, then focus on target and squeeze. The quicker I do it the more accurate I am - when I slow down it doesn't work and I start spraying too much.

17. Shootr

Shootr OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
    Donator

18. Shootr

Shootr OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
    Donator

Found a guy on Etsy that makes mag pouches for $20. Workmanship is pretty damn good for the price.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Picked up 500 rounds of 200gr .45 hollowpoints from Freedom, look forward to seeing how it shoots this weekend.

19. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

Well, as I mentioned before I purchased an M1A Scout last year. Not sure if I posted the issues I was having, but to sum it up on the 5th shot the extractor broke and I had to mail it back to the factory to get fixed (I could have replaced it myself, but I wanted to make sure they tested it to verify the only problem was the extractor). Further research shows that this is the one weak point on the firearm, and it's a known problem. I was extremely annoyed after spending $1800 on the rifle, but it was taken care of. The consensus online is to buy a USGI extractor, swap them out, and keep the other as a replacement... which I'll probably do.

As I've said before, I'm not a fan of gun ranges, so that means I had to wait and shoot the gun until I made it out to the family ranch, which happened this weekend. I put ~100 rounds through the rifle, and any doubt I had about my purchase immediately went away. Holy fuck do I love this gun. The first four shots out of the gun @ 100 yards with iron sights (8" target):

[​IMG]

The gun is phenomenal. I'm not even that comfortable with it yet and out of the box I could easily take down a deer at 100 yards. It was a little windy and I wasn't use to the trigger, which is why the horizontal placements were inconsistent (and obviously the gun wasn't zeroed for 100 yards). I can already tell that the gun will match whatever skill I develop with it. And it's easily the funnest gun I've ever fired.

The next trip will be to fine-tune this thing. First with the iron sights, and then I may put a forward-mounted scout scope on it. And just for context, here's my own personal range where I could fire a tank without anyone complaining:

[​IMG]

#1869 whiskeyguy, May 31, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2017
  20. ysr50

ysr50 Well-Known Member
    Donator

I've been going back and forth about buying that same rifle, your report is making me lean towards buying it. One more caliber to buy or load for holds me back. Nice range, Northern California is beautiful.

21. whiskeyguy

Yeah I love getting out there while it's still green and the cows haven't trampled everything down yet. That's probably the only hilltop left in the tri-county area without a weed grow on it.

As for the gun, the extractor problem is rare but for <$50 you can swap it with a USGI one and have a little piece of mind. It sounds like Springfield got a little cheap with them, but the gun comes with a lifetime warranty. One cool thing is the stock has a full cleaning kit in it (sold separately). I would definitely recommend it, especially in California where you can't have the AR build you'd want. It also just feels really good to shoot. It's a little heavy at ~10 pounds but it's so well balanced that you don't really notice it. And the recoil is very manageable... I'd compare it to a 20 gauge, and it's actually kind of pleasant. It's almost like a gentle signal for deaf people that a round was fired. I fired off ~30 rounds from a standing/advancing position and had no problems; the gun felt like an extension of my arm. The flip-up butt plate on the Scout model also greatly helps stabilize the gun. I have long arms and often have to add a recoil pad so the butt rests firmly against my shoulder, but the plate negates that problem. I also imagine there's a benefit when quickly swapping magazines (which you'll have to do a lot in California with our neutered 10 round magazines).

ysr50 likes this.
  22. ysr50

ysr50 Well-Known Member
    Donator

Going to have to look a little deeper into this M1A Scout, going to try to find one new at a reasonable price. It's still legal here so maybe Gun Genie.

23. Shootr

Shootr OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
    Donator

And there, in a picture, is my retirement dream... Just not in California...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

THE FEZ MAN and whiskeyguy like this.
  24. whiskeyguy

If I could move those 3000 acres to another state, I would.

25. whiskeyguy

And yet again I find myself saying "fuck California" when it comes to purchasing a gun. I decided to buy and become proficient with a handgun for carry purposes this year. I spent 3 hours watching youtube videos and reading about different models, so that I can make a list and go rent the guns at a range to try them out. One I really liked and was almost sold on without even holding it was the Sig P320... only to find out it's not legal in this state. Of course California would ban standard 9mm handguns.