Gun Talk

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
You should start loading your own. I don't load semi-auto rounds because I haven't had the time to experiment enough to ensure I can make a reliable batch, but I do have all of the dies for every caliber I own except .22LR. I've saved thousands reloading for my revolvers, lever gun and bolt rifle.
I don't have an appropriate workplace. I'd have to set the press up on the kitchen table which the gf would not approve of.

ysr50

Donator
I don't have an appropriate workplace. I'd have to set the press up on the kitchen table which the gf would not approve of.
You give up way too easy. There's always a way if you're determined. You could buy some small junk drill press and remove all of the drilling stuff and mount the press to the bench portion of it, it would be small enough to put in a closet when you're not using it. You could mount wheels on the base that would only contact the ground when you leaned it back as you pushed it around. Reloading can be a very relaxing activity, it requires focus that drowns out the nonsense bouncing around in your noggin.

Last edited:

Falldog

Donator
You give up way too easy. There's always a way if you're determined. You could buy some small junk drill press and remove all of the drilling stuff and mount the press to the bench portion of it, it would be small enough to put in a closet when you're not using it. You could mount wheels on the base that would only contact the ground when you leaned it back as you pushed it around. Reloading can be a very relaxing activity, it requires focus that drowns out the nonsense bouncing around in your noggin.
Building model kits is my relaxing hobby, far too much of my house falls victim to that hobby.

Falldog

Donator
Very nice buy
you know you have to find matching uppers to go with those now?

I do some zombie green stuff but purple may be hard to find
The plan was to buy them over time, but now I'm tempted to get them all now just because I have the lowers in hand.

Plan was to get a full length upper for the purple, and a 10.5" for the gray, and the green a 5" 9mm for maximum ridiculousness.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
The plan was to buy them over time, but now I'm tempted to get them all now just because I have the lowers in hand.

Plan was to get a full length upper for the purple, and a 10.5" for the gray, and the green a 5" 9mm for maximum ridiculousness.
there is never been a better time to buy uppers than right now, if there is even a whisper of gun laws passing, the deals and inventory will be gone in a minute.
it looks like Cerakote does make a purple, 4 of them exactly

Falldog

Donator
I want to finish off them so I can go shoot them, but I also told myself that I would wait and get necessary bits like triggers, bolts, sights, other stuff as they go on sale.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
I want to finish off them so I can go shoot them, but I also told myself that I would wait and get necessary bits like triggers, bolts, sights, other stuff as they go on sale.
right now is sale time, prices have never been lower. I get emails from all the usual places every day and didn't actually think the prices could go any lower but they keep surprising me.

Falldog

Donator
right now is sale time, prices have never been lower. I get emails from all the usual places every day and didn't actually think the prices could go any lower but they keep surprising me.
Waiting to see what the holiday weekend brings.

Found this on some internet classifieds, had one box through it, box, paperwork, 2nd mag, accessories... But no holster. I need a holster dammit. Gave $300 for it. Viridian r5 reactor green laser, if I get the holster made for it I guess it turns in the laser automagically.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Found this on some internet classifieds, had one box through it, box, paperwork, 2nd mag, accessories... But no holster. I need a holster dammit. Gave $300 for it. Viridian r5 reactor green laser, if I get the holster made for it I guess it turns in the laser automagically.

Don’t shoot your finger off

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
Why the U.S. Marshals Went Against Glock (And Picked a 100 Year Old Gun)

Tommy doesn't agree

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/b...ainst-glock-and-picked-100-year-old-gun-75546
by Charlie Gao

For the majority of military and law enforcement users who carry more than they shoot, the more affordable and lighter Glock will continue to be the dominant choice.

As more and more federal agencies adopt various variations on the Glock pistol, the recent adoption of the STI 2011 by the U.S. Marshals Service Special Operations Group (USMS SOG) stands out. The STI 2011 is a double-stack 9mm variant of the venerable 1911 pistol—a design that is over 100 years old at this point.

But why did the SOG choose the 2011 instead of another Glock? The guns.com article suggests that the USMS SOG was working relatively closely with STI before the order, so in a sense, the USMS’s STI 2011 is practically a custom gun made to their request. The pistol is also replacing Springfield Armory 1911s. As the 2011 has practically the same manual of arms and excellent trigger pull as the 1911, adopting a 2011 would make the transition to the new gun easier than a transition to a striker-fired or DA/SA trigger.
The USMS SOG also appears to greatly appreciate the excellent single-action only triggers of tuned 1911s and 2011s, as “single-action pistols” were mentioned specifically in a statement given by a USMS public affairs official.
(This first appeared earlier this month.)
But the USMS’ 2011s represent a leap forward in many other ways compared to the legacy 1911s. Photos of them in use show them equipped with Leupold DeltaPoint Pro red dot sights, flared tactical magwells and extended baseplates for the magazine, which give users up to twenty-one rounds of 9mm ammunition on tap. Raised iron sights that are visible through the window of the red dot are also fitted to the USMS guns.
A concealed carry version of the 2011 was also procured for the USMS, which ditches the red dot sight and raised iron sights in favor of a low-profile set of sights, including a fiber front sight. All USMS 2011s also feature special finishes meant to resist saltwater corrosion, and have “USMS SOG” and the SOG team logo put on the slides.

The adoption of the 2011 could have some interesting implications for the guns used by elite teams across the world. STI 2011s competed with Glocks in the past early in the 2000s in trials for Delta Force, but lost due to inferior reliability to the Glock. But in 2019, STI appears to have ironed out most of the issues and has put together a modern and competitive package in the USMS SOG pistol that could be of interest to groups that plan to use pistols extensively on operations and want something that’s easier and faster to shoot accurately than a Glock.
In the article, STI’s military and law enforcement sales manager, Buck Pierson, mentions that STI was working with multiple other agencies in testing and developing duty-ready versions of the 2011 pistol, with some test guns firing in excess of 15,000 rounds. If all goes their way, we may see some real competition with Glock in the world of duty pistols for the world’s elite special operations forces.

However, the benefits of the STI will only be apparent to those who shoot their pistols extensively on a daily basis. For the majority of military and law enforcement users who carry more than they shoot, the more affordable and lighter Glock will continue to be the dominant choice.
Charlie Gao studied political and computer science at Grinnell College and is a frequent commentator on defense and national security issues.

Falldog

Donator
Nm, decided to hold off on a buffer set until I find a good brace. Seems like most brace sets come with buffer sets.

Last edited:

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
I always use MIL but it usually doesn't matter as long as the buffer tube matches the stock style. But if you ever want to swap a butt stock onto another rifle, they need to match styles.

Falldog

Donator
Are all castle nut wrenches pretty much the same. Watching labor day sales and putting together a pricy list.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
Are all castle nut wrenches pretty much the same. Watching labor day sales and putting together a pricy list.
the castle nut on the buffer tube is MILSPEC and is always the same except for a very few instances and I think all the universal armorers wrenches all have about the same features, one part for a standard barrel nut, the spanner for the castle nut, a spot for flash hider removal and a 1/2" square hole for use with a torque wrench.

this is a picture of the Brownells wrench

Falldog

Donator
the castle nut on the buffer tube is MILSPEC and is always the same except for a very few instances and I think all the universal armorers wrenches all have about the same features, one part for a standard barrel nut, the spanner for the castle nut, a spot for flash hider removal and a 1/2" square hole for use with a torque wrench.

this is a picture of the Brownells wrench
I was watching videos and realized I needed a vice with a thing to mount the lower on. I should just find a buddy or shop near by that will let me borrow theirs.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
I was watching videos and realized I needed a vice with a thing to mount the lower on. I should just find a buddy or shop near by that will let me borrow theirs.
it isn't absolutely necessary to use a vise to tighten a receiver extension castle nut but is handy, you can do it without one. Also you don't really need one of those magazine inserts to hold it in a vise to install the lower parts kit either. If you are going to be doing any work on an upper, a vise is necessary.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Why the U.S. Marshals Went Against Glock (And Picked a 100 Year Old Gun)

Tommy doesn't agree

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/b...ainst-glock-and-picked-100-year-old-gun-75546
by Charlie Gao

For the majority of military and law enforcement users who carry more than they shoot, the more affordable and lighter Glock will continue to be the dominant choice.

As more and more federal agencies adopt various variations on the Glock pistol, the recent adoption of the STI 2011 by the U.S. Marshals Service Special Operations Group (USMS SOG) stands out. The STI 2011 is a double-stack 9mm variant of the venerable 1911 pistol—a design that is over 100 years old at this point.

But why did the SOG choose the 2011 instead of another Glock? The guns.com article suggests that the USMS SOG was working relatively closely with STI before the order, so in a sense, the USMS’s STI 2011 is practically a custom gun made to their request. The pistol is also replacing Springfield Armory 1911s. As the 2011 has practically the same manual of arms and excellent trigger pull as the 1911, adopting a 2011 would make the transition to the new gun easier than a transition to a striker-fired or DA/SA trigger.
The USMS SOG also appears to greatly appreciate the excellent single-action only triggers of tuned 1911s and 2011s, as “single-action pistols” were mentioned specifically in a statement given by a USMS public affairs official.
(This first appeared earlier this month.)
But the USMS’ 2011s represent a leap forward in many other ways compared to the legacy 1911s. Photos of them in use show them equipped with Leupold DeltaPoint Pro red dot sights, flared tactical magwells and extended baseplates for the magazine, which give users up to twenty-one rounds of 9mm ammunition on tap. Raised iron sights that are visible through the window of the red dot are also fitted to the USMS guns.
A concealed carry version of the 2011 was also procured for the USMS, which ditches the red dot sight and raised iron sights in favor of a low-profile set of sights, including a fiber front sight. All USMS 2011s also feature special finishes meant to resist saltwater corrosion, and have “USMS SOG” and the SOG team logo put on the slides.

The adoption of the 2011 could have some interesting implications for the guns used by elite teams across the world. STI 2011s competed with Glocks in the past early in the 2000s in trials for Delta Force, but lost due to inferior reliability to the Glock. But in 2019, STI appears to have ironed out most of the issues and has put together a modern and competitive package in the USMS SOG pistol that could be of interest to groups that plan to use pistols extensively on operations and want something that’s easier and faster to shoot accurately than a Glock.
In the article, STI’s military and law enforcement sales manager, Buck Pierson, mentions that STI was working with multiple other agencies in testing and developing duty-ready versions of the 2011 pistol, with some test guns firing in excess of 15,000 rounds. If all goes their way, we may see some real competition with Glock in the world of duty pistols for the world’s elite special operations forces.

However, the benefits of the STI will only be apparent to those who shoot their pistols extensively on a daily basis. For the majority of military and law enforcement users who carry more than they shoot, the more affordable and lighter Glock will continue to be the dominant choice.
Charlie Gao studied political and computer science at Grinnell College and is a frequent commentator on defense and national security issues.

What a bunch of crap, the truth is they probably got offered a sweet deal on some private purchases if they approved the 2011, or they get to keep their service weapons after they retire and someone one high up is short on time.
There is a very distinct reason everyone chooses Glocks, cops are notorious for poor maintenance and Glocks always work with out real failures especially 17s, souped up 1911’s are notoriously finicky, if the marshals are shooting that many people then why aren’t they carrying sub guns? P90, CZ Scorpions, even a shot out MP5 will out shoot and out preform any pistol for accuracy and reliability, pistols are only good to fight your way back to a rifle you should have never put down in the first place.

Falldog

Donator
If 9310 is better than carpenter 158, why does the latter end to be more expensive?