H&D's Long Range Shooting thread

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Since long range shooting is fun, and I know at least one other bagger has indulged in it, let's discuss long range shit.

Hunting, banging steel, punching paper, or even the occasional scrubbing of the gene pool for you military types - who does what? For those that have never gone beyond 100-200 yards, what questions do you have?

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
I was AAA or Master class in various silhouette disciplines like Hunter Pistol, long range, BPCR, rifle, etc.

Shot Camp Perry in OTC and long range like Wimbledon and Leech Cup.

Burned the throats out of plenty of prairie dog and rock chuck rifles.

Etc.

Haeder

South Dakota
Started down the path of long range shooting. Much admiration for the time and discipline required to develop a proper set of long range shooting skills. Wound up giving it up for the more primitive - yet equally satisfying - bow and arrow.

Hate & Discontent

My GA Precision Tempest action came home tonight. I am shooting in the PRS finale next weekend in California, and once I get home this will be going back up to GAP to get a barrel and a tuned up Timney 517 trigger installed. Hopefully it'll be ready in time for my next big match after the finale.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
the closest 200m range around here is an hour and a half away and has a two year waiting list. so, i have to stick to >100 :(

Hate & Discontent

the closest 200m range around here is an hour and a half away and has a two year waiting list. so, i have to stick to >100 :(
Come on down here and I will have you hitting steel at half a mile in no time. Bring Buster with you.

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
My GA Precision Tempest action came home tonight. I am shooting in the PRS finale next weekend in California, and once I get home this will be going back up to GAP to get a barrel and a tuned up Timney 517 trigger installed. Hopefully it'll be ready in time for my next big match after the finale.

How'd you do in you California competition?

Hate & Discontent

How'd you do in you California competition?
I shot like shit on Saturday, and a decent recovery on Sunday wasn't enough to pull me out of the toilet. I finished somewhere in the mid 80s for placement, but I wound up winning the championship for my region.

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Finishing up mid 80's in a national tournament (if that is what it was) isn't too bad. Congrats on winning your region though. That is sweet!

Hate & Discontent

Finishing up mid 80's in a national tournament (if that is what it was) isn't too bad. Congrats on winning your region though. That is sweet!
It was the Precision Rifle Series finale. It's invite-only, and there's 5 ways to qualify -

1) Win any match on the series that season
2) Have 2 top 15% finishes by placement in the same season
3) Finish the year in the top 75 by point rank
4) Be one of the top 3 in a sub-class (Women, seniors, mil/le, junior)
5) Be one of the top 4 from a regional qualifier event that was not already qualified from one of the other 4

If I shot like I felt like I should have, I would have easily been in the top 50.

The 2016 season will be better for me, since I will be shooting 4 to 5 matches at facilities I have already shot matches at, including two matches on my home range. I'm hoping to qualify for the finale on points this season, and not having to go through a regional qualifier to get in.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
What problems did you have the first day that made you shoot shitty?

Hate & Discontent

What problems did you have the first day that made you shoot shitty?
Wind and terrain. I've never shot in an environment before where there was no mirage or moving vegetation to determine what the wind was doing down range. Add in the mountain terrain and the frequent cross-canyon shots, and I was totally out of my element.

Sent from the U.S.S. Sulaco

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Wind and terrain. I've never shot in an environment before where there was no mirage or moving vegetation to determine what the wind was doing down range. Add in the mountain terrain and the frequent cross-canyon shots, and I was totally out of my element.

Sent from the U.S.S. Sulaco

Sounds like good learning experience. Sucks that it was at a competition.

LiLJimmysHog

Professional negative prick
I have a friend that is all psycho with the long range stuff. He does his own loads and takes the shit seriously to the point that it's not fun to go shooting with him. In other news...I am a solid 10 yard shooter.

Hate & Discontent

I have a friend that is all psycho with the long range stuff. He does his own loads and takes the shit seriously to the point that it's not fun to go shooting with him. In other news...I am a solid 10 yard shooter.
Why do I get the feeling that your friend does benchrest?

Hate & Discontent

At times he does, especially when sighting in a new sight. Most of the time he just uses a shooting table he built.
Benchrest is a specific type of competition shooting. What you said about taking it so seriously that he's not fun to shoot with sounds like some of the crazy benchrest shooters out there.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Benchrest is a specific type of competition shooting. What you said about taking it so seriously that he's not fun to shoot with sounds like some of the crazy benchrest shooters out there.
They were never fun for customers and most expected huge price cuts on custom work because they were benchresters and therefore better than everyone else. Then there was, "I run a youth 22 Benchrest league in a far off state and want five target stocks for prizes." Sure, let me give you the total price. "No, you donate them." Fuck off.

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
One step closer..............

Just picked this up from Eurooptic in Montoursville on my way to a jobsite in Hazleton Pa.

Hate & Discontent

Just picked this up from Eurooptic in Montoursville on my way to a jobsite in Hazleton Pa.
Have you ever gotten behind an AICS chassis system before and shot them? I can tell you that they're definitely not for everyone.

Interestingly enough, I just ordered 2 AW magazines from EuroOptic this morning for my Tempest.

Also, I just ordered a ThunderBeast Ultra 7 CB today in black for the awesome price of Free.

A top 10 finish at a precision rifle match with $60,000+ on the prize table pays off sometimes.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

I hope you have a pistol for that hazelton trip that place is a shit hole

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
I hope you have a pistol for that hazelton trip that place is a shit hole

I have two 9mm's and for those black tie nights out on the town I have a little number in .357 Sig.....

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Got home today and got the barrel swapped over to the AICS chassis. It is really comfortable and I believe I should be very happy with it. Just need to adjust the cheek piece and maybe take one of the spacers out of the stock. Gonna pray it doesn't pour fucking rain tomorrow and the range is open.

Anyone wanna buy a Hogue stock for a Rem 700 .308? Cheap?

https://flic.kr/p/Acpvov

I also have an Atlas bipod with the spigot adapter for it ordered. Should be here middle of next week.

The other thing I have been looking at is a sling for it. I found this after doing some searching around: https://tabgear.mycustomevent.com/S...&iid=931&&returncom=productlist&source=search

Any opinions on that sling or recommendations on others?

Hate & Discontent

Got home today and got the barrel swapped over to the AICS chassis. It is really comfortable and I believe I should be very happy with it. Just need to adjust the cheek piece and maybe take one of the spacers out of the stock. Gonna pray it doesn't pour fucking rain tomorrow and the range is open.

Anyone wanna buy a Hogue stock for a Rem 700 .308? Cheap?

I also have an Atlas bipod with the spigot adapter for it ordered. Should be here middle of next week.

The other thing I have been looking at is a sling for it. I found this after doing some searching around: https://tabgear.mycustomevent.com/S...&iid=931&&returncom=productlist&source=search

Any opinions on that sling or recommendations on others?
Tony makes some great stuff, and I used to run one of his slings. That said, I switched to an Armageddon Gear PR sling last year and haven't looked back. It works great as a carry sling, but it also rocks as a quick cuff sling for positional work.

Check out Viper Skins if you want to change up your AICS a bit. You might also want to look at the KRG Bolt Lift for an oversize bolt knob unless you want to send the bolt off to get threaded for an oversize knob.

If you want to try something different on a bipod, check out the PASS modified Harris from Core shooting solutions, too. That's the exact setup I run on my match guns, and it is fucking awesome. I now have the full kit, including the carbon fiber leg extensions, 3" Atlas leg extensions, spiked feet and rubber feet.

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Tony makes some great stuff, and I used to run one of his slings. That said, I switched to an Armageddon Gear PR sling last year and haven't looked back. It works great as a carry sling, but it also rocks as a quick cuff sling for positional work.

Check out Viper Skins if you want to change up your AICS a bit. You might also want to look at the KRG Bolt Lift for an oversize bolt knob unless you want to send the bolt off to get threaded for an oversize knob.

If you want to try something different on a bipod, check out the PASS modified Harris from Core shooting solutions, too. That's the exact setup I run on my match guns, and it is fucking awesome. I now have the full kit, including the carbon fiber leg extensions, 3" Atlas leg extensions, spiked feet and rubber feet.
I have been looking at the Viper Skins for a while. Gonna shoot it as it is right now and go from there.

Bookmarked both of those links. The Atlas I ordered already shipped yesterday, so that is on the way. I'm probably gonna stick with it for now. If push comes to shove and I decide to get the other bipod you linked I will just use the Atlas on a different rifle. I'm still thinking about getting an HK MR308 next year sometime so it could go on that.

Right now, I'm really thinking the best thing I can do would be to send the action and barrel off to be accurized over the winter. Not sure about cost vs. benefit yet though. If I do send it out, I'm sure I would get a different bolt knob on it. I know it's nowhere near as smooth as that GA Precision that you are running. Also wanna put either a Timney or a Jewel trigger in it. Although I have heard Jewel triggers have to be kept almost spotless clean.

I'm thinking the order of importance for me at this moment is:

1) Sling
2) New trigger
3) Accurization of some form

After that, everything else can sort itself out over the long run. (Viper Skins, improved bipod, etc...)