H&D's Reloading Thread

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
Dragging up the dead.
anyone have a Dillon progressive loader?
I have a single RCBS rock chucker but I’m thinking I need to step up my game since I bought the .300 blk without actually researching the price of ammo.... oops
I have a 1050 but would not recommend it if you want to load multiple calibers, they just came out with a new press, the 750 which is a replacement for the 650 which is the best for speed and low cost, ease of switching out calibers. My buddy just built his first AR and accidentally bought a 300BK upper so he is also getting into loading that.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
I have a 1050 but would not recommend it if you want to load multiple calibers, they just came out with a new press, the 750 which is a replacement for the 650 which is the best for speed and low cost, ease of switching out calibers. My buddy just built his first AR and accidentally bought a 300BK upper so he is also getting into loading that.
im probably going to just start out with dies first for the Rock chucker, ive got two goals, an effective and accurate subsonic load for the bolt gun and can, I think that would be best done by hand, but having a progressive loader to feed an AR might not be a bad idea

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
im probably going to just start out with dies first for the Rock chucker, ive got two goals, an effective and accurate subsonic load for the bolt gun and can, I think that would be best done by hand, but having a progressive loader to feed an AR might not be a bad idea
my buddy has a rock chucker with the piggy back attachment, I think he stole it from a museum as no one has much info on them because I think they were finicky so people just used the press without it. I have not heard if he has loaded any 300BK yet. But the gun can fire it WAY WAY faster than you can load it HAHA

ysr50

Donator
I upgraded from a single stage to a turret a while ago based on advice from several people I trusted. According to them jumping from single stage to a real progressive might seem attractive but mistakes are more likely to happen. I took their advice and went from a Lee single stage to a classic turret, it honestly took a little bit to get to the point that I trusted my ammo. I'm not loading semi-auto for pistols and I still load .500 and 7mm Rem Mag on the single stage, the turret is set up for .44 Mag. I'd suggest some turret set-up before you spend the money on a progressive setup.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
I upgraded from a single stage to a turret a while ago based on advice from several people I trusted. According to them jumping from single stage to a real progressive might seem attractive but mistakes are more likely to happen. I took their advice and went from a Lee single stage to a classic turret, it honestly took a little bit to get to the point that I trusted my ammo. I'm not loading semi-auto for pistols and I still load .500 and 7mm Rem Mag on the single stage, the turret is set up for .44 Mag. I'd suggest some turret set-up before you spend the money on a progressive setup.
you can still screw up on a single stage, you just screw up WAY more rounds faster on a progressive press.

THE FEZ MAN

what do you reload in your 1050? , and how much of an actual pain in the ass is it to change out calibers? I’m looking at the 650 because I don’t want to have to buy multiple machines (my buddy has 3) being able to switch out the dies as a set up unit is really appealing to me
I just cleaned out my basement and came across a 5 gallon bucket full of brass mostly .357 / 38 which I have the rock chucker set up for I plan on sitting down with the rock chucker and reloading all of those by hand just to get back into the groove (I haven’t touched it in 8 years, I’m not sure the powder is even any good anymore

THE FEZ MAN

you can still screw up on a single stage, you just screw up WAY more rounds faster on a progressive press.
when I first started reloading i way under charged the cases and ended up with a few boxes of junk, I wanted to make a load that was really slow, for pistol practice, well it was slow alright they jammed in the BBL oops, my new goal is to make a .357 load that will take full advantage of my lever rifles 16” bbl, Assman had started to reload for his .44 and had basically perfected it, I give him some credit that way, he was shooting sub 1moa groups with a lever action .44 at 100yd with is hand loads, now I’m not sure if they were good for “killing” but shit placement is more important for that anyway

ysr50

Donator
when I first started reloading i way under charged the cases and ended up with a few boxes of junk, I wanted to make a load that was really slow, for pistol practice, well it was slow alright they jammed in the BBL oops, my new goal is to make a .357 load that will take full advantage of my lever rifles 16” bbl, Assman had started to reload for his .44 and had basically perfected it, I give him some credit that way, he was shooting sub 1moa groups with a lever action .44 at 100yd with is hand loads, now I’m not sure if they were good for “killing” but shit placement is more important for that anyway
Any chance that Assman would be willing to share his .44 recipe? Has he had any success with it in a revolver? .44 magnum is my preferred round, revolvers and lever action rifles should be safe in my fucked up state for awhile longer.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
what do you reload in your 1050? , and how much of an actual pain in the ass is it to change out calibers? I’m looking at the 650 because I don’t want to have to buy multiple machines (my buddy has 3) being able to switch out the dies as a set up unit is really appealing to me
I just cleaned out my basement and came across a 5 gallon bucket full of brass mostly .357 / 38 which I have the rock chucker set up for I plan on sitting down with the rock chucker and reloading all of those by hand just to get back into the groove (I haven’t touched it in 8 years, I’m not sure the powder is even any good anymore
I load .223, 9mm, 40S&W and have a set up for 45ACP with small primers.

But I have to change out the dies and case / shell plate plus the case feeder parts. It is insanely expensive to buy the cast iron tool head and there are bearings and such involved. The new 750 is an upgraded 650 with every thing basically the same except for a better priming system and it is way, way easier and cheaper to load multiple calibers. Tool heads are around $35 each so you can keep each caliber loaded up and swap them out in like 10 minutes. Lots of aftermarket parts out there too.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
Any chance that Assman would be willing to share his .44 recipe? Has he had any success with it in a revolver? .44 magnum is my preferred round, revolvers and lever action rifles should be safe in my fucked up state for awhile longer.
remember this terrorist, he used a lever action and killed a lot of good criminals, Kalifornistan will ban lever actions because of him.

THE FEZ MAN

he’s still on the pay no mind list, that being said I’m fairly sure he only kept notes in his own head and that spider pit isn’t worth digging into, what I do know is he came up with three different loads, one for his revolver, one for the lever gun and one for his marlin camp carbine and I have a feeling he was mixing powders like a retard, right around the time he “perfected it” was around the time he started going off the deep end of loonie tunes god only knows what he was up to

THE FEZ MAN

I load .223, 9mm, 40S&W and have a set up for 45ACP with small primers.

But I have to change out the dies and case / shell plate plus the case feeder parts. It is insanely expensive to buy the cast iron tool head and there are bearings and such involved. The new 750 is an upgraded 650 with every thing basically the same except for a better priming system and it is way, way easier and cheaper to load multiple calibers. Tool heads are around $35 each so you can keep each caliber loaded up and swap them out in like 10 minutes. Lots of aftermarket parts out there too.
ok I was looking at the 650, because it seemed to be easy to swap out calibers I just don’t have the room for multiple machines

ysr50

Donator
he’s still on the pay no mind list, that being said I’m fairly sure he only kept notes in his own head and that spider pit isn’t worth digging into, what I do know is he came up with three different loads, one for his revolver, one for the lever gun and one for his marlin camp carbine and I have a feeling he was mixing powders like a retard, right around the time he “perfected it” was around the time he started going off the deep end of loonie tunes god only knows what he was up to
Okay. I'll just blame my poor marksmanship on my guns and ammo.:haha7:

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
ok I was looking at the 650, because it seemed to be easy to swap out calibers I just don’t have the room for multiple machines
yeah, they stopped making the 650 and replaced it with the 750. I have heard people having problems with their priming system and the 750 fixes that. The 1050 primer system works fine once you get it adjusted, and I don't touch it and it works fine.

THE FEZ MAN

yeah, they stopped making the 650 and replaced it with the 750. I have heard people having problems with their priming system and the 750 fixes that. The 1050 primer system works fine once you get it adjusted, and I don't touch it and it works fine.
I meant 750 , i was going to go set up my rock chucker today but decided not to because I’m lazy