Half in the Bag...

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
I mostly agree with Mike, although I think Marvel deserves some credit for trying a different approach to the origin story. They were ripped for Doctor Strange being too similar to Iron Man, so it’s easy to understand why they felt they had to do something different.

And I guess I’m white knighting when I ask why only white males are allowed to be snarky and sarcastic. It’s still bizarre to me that nobody seems to realize that calling me a white knight is exactly the point people like Larson are making.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
I mostly agree with Mike, although I think Marvel deserves some credit for trying a different approach to the origin story. They were ripped for Doctor Strange being too similar to Iron Man, so it’s easy to understand why they felt they had to do something different.

And I guess I’m white knighting when I ask why only white males are allowed to be snarky and sarcastic. It’s still bizarre to me that nobody seems to realize that calling me a white knight is exactly the point people like Larson are making.
It had fucking nothing to do with not being a white male.

The problem was that a) she was fucking terrible at it and b) her character was completely inconsistent. One moment she's this stoic soldier, next she is a wise cracking jerk off, the next she was a confused bundle of emotions. And there was no growth that led to the changes. It was like she rolled a die before each scene to decide which way she was going to play the character.

Again, I don't know if the problem was her, the director or her filming Endgame before filming this.

What I don't get is why you are so intent on having a blind spot to this movies flaws that have nothing to do with the internet trolls. It was a perfectly fine movie, but compared to Marvel's track record, it was a huge miss.

That being said, I'm eager to see what this character is like under a more competent director.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator

The problem was that a) she was fucking terrible at it and b) her character was completely inconsistent. One moment she's this stoic soldier, next she is a wise cracking jerk off, the next she was a confused bundle of emotions. And there was no growth that led to the changes. It was like she rolled a die before each scene to decide which way she was going to play the character.

Again, I don't know if the problem was her, the director or her filming Endgame before filming this.
It was almost as if - and stay with me here because this is a wild theory - she had amnesia and had been brainwashed and then had her memories pulled out by alien technology and then was dropped in surroundings that were both familiar and unfamiliar. Like...she was having a bit of an identity crisis and couldn’t figure out if she was supposed to be a Kree soldier like she’s been told or something else entirely.

I know that’s me white knighting and being blind to flaws and not at all me simply describing the plot of the movie.

By the way, there were many flaws with the movie, mostly to do with the fact that it’s a prequel. But Larson was excellent. You not being able to track her performance against the plot of the movie is...well that’s on you. Whether because you’re an angry white male or because you simply didn’t understand the plot and what was going on with the character is irrelevant.

LiddyRules

I Think I'll Eat An Apple
It was almost as if - and stay with me here because this is a wild theory - she had amnesia and had been brainwashed and then had her memories pulled out by alien technology and then was dropped in surroundings that were both familiar and unfamiliar. Like...she was having a bit of an identity crisis and couldn’t figure out if she was supposed to be a Kree soldier like she’s been told or something else entirely.

I know that’s me white knighting and being blind to flaws and not at all me simply describing the plot of the movie.

By the way, there were many flaws with the movie, mostly to do with the fact that it’s a prequel. But Larson was excellent. You not being able to track her performance against the plot of the movie is...well that’s on you. Whether because you’re an angry white male or because you simply didn’t understand the plot and what was going on with the character is irrelevant.
90s music

LiddyRules

What I don't get is why you are so intent on having a blind spot to this movies flaws that have nothing to do with the internet trolls. It was a perfectly fine movie, but compared to Marvel's track record, it was a huge miss.

That being said, I'm eager to see what this character is like under a more competent director.
Meant to respond to this in an earlier post.

90s music.

BIV

Except that's not what it felt like at all.

If she had started as the stoic soldier, then became emotional and confused and then turned snarky as she became comfortable with herself, I'd agree. But it wasn't that. It was random and inconsistent. Sometimes even within the same scene.

Like her first scene with Fury. It was tonally all over the place from line to line. Do you have a superiority complex? Are you "there to do a job"? Are you sarcastic and dismissive? Pick one.

Half way through that scene I literally said something like "oh god" and covered my face with my hand, it was so bad.

Sometimes it feels like you see completely different cuts of movies than me. Not only was she not "excellent", like Black Panther (though not as bad), she was the worst part of her own movie.

This makes it sound like I disliked her more than I did, but I know how good of an actress she is. I didn't see that here.

I still blame this on the director.

LiddyRules

Except that's not what it felt like at all.

If she had started as the stoic soldier, then became emotional and confused and then turned snarky as she became comfortable with herself, I'd agree. But it wasn't that. It was random and inconsistent. Sometimes even within the same scene.

Like her first scene with Fury. It was tonally all over the place from line to line. Do you have a superiority complex? Are you "there to do a job"? Are you sarcastic and dismissive? Pick one.

Half way through that scene I literally said something like "oh god" and covered my face with my hand, it was so bad.

Sometimes it feels like you see completely different cuts of movies than me. Not only was she not "excellent", like Black Panther (though not as bad), she was the worst part of her own movie.

This makes it sound like I disliked her more than I did, but I know how good of an actress she is. I didn't see that here.

I still blame this on the director.
Weezer. They seem to be having a bit of a comeback.

BIV

Let me amend this statement. She wasn't bad all the time. But scenes like the Fury scene tainted the rest of the movie for me. I imagine I'll like her performance more on a re-watch.

I'm not sure it's fair to say she was the worst part of her own movie. The villain was pretty 2-dimentional.

I guess this is just the first Marvel movie that didn't meet my expectations since Phase 2. I thought it would, at least, be on par with Ant Man and Wasp. But it was more in the IM3 range.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
Mike looks like he's on his way to an evil handlebar mustache